First Time Trip FTW - SAS Texas Eagle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

john h

Service Attendant
I am taking my son who is 12 on his first time long train trip from Fort Worth to San Antonio and I had a couple of simple questions

1) I could only find coach class or sleeper, is there a business class on this trip?

2) It seems check amtrakdelays theres 1 to 2 hours delays almost every day into San Antonio (train 21) which could get us there past midnight, I guess I haven't looked where the slow down is

3) I noticed it said no diner car between San Antonio and Austiun so I assume we havew to eat before we get to Austin if we want to use the dining car, is it cash only or do they take credit cards?

Any other advice would be helpful, we are spending 5 days so the delay will not damper the trip, hopefully it will be dry by then, lol

'

I am taking my son who is 12 on his first time long train trip from Fort Worth to San Antonio and I had a couple of simple questions
1) I could only find coach class or sleeper, is there a business class on this trip?

2) It seems check amtrakdelays theres 1 to 2 hours delays almost every day into San Antonio (train 21) which could get us there past midnight, I guess I haven't looked where the slow down is

3) I noticed it said no diner car between San Antonio and Austiun so I assume we havew to eat before we get to Austin if we want to use the dining car, is it cash only or do they take credit cards?

Any other advice would be helpful, we are spending 5 days so the delay will not damper the trip, hopefully it will be dry by then, lol

'
No Business as the Texas Eagle is a long distance train. Your choice is Coach or Sleeper.

Train delays are common. It is what it is. Be patient, and enjoy the trip. Note: they will service the train in FTW, so wait comfortably inside rather than the hot platform.

Cash or Credit is fine in the Diner.

Dinner is served before arrival in AUS, which is rather early if on time. ( I think they try to conclude dinner by 6:00pm).

Breakfast is a "cold meal" for sleepers northbound from San Antonio, with the diner open for Lunch north of Austin. I do believe the Snack Bar does open north of San Antonio though.

(I have complained about the Diner crew offloading in AUS, but AMTRAK has not changed their service yet.)

Sleepers are usually not that bad in price, especially with meals included.

Have Fun !!!

Thanks, one last question. Are ac outlets available on the superliner lounge cars?

Thanks, one last question. Are ac outlets available on the superliner lounge cars?
On sightseer area (upper level of lounge car), yes it has outlets, right next to the stairs that goes down to the snack bar. It's a very popular spot for recharging batteries. On lower level, I do not know.

To expand more: no. not for the seating areas. I have no idea how the crew would react to an extension cord stretched from the aforementioned plugs to your booth or seat..... let us know.......

I have a question on the diner car, do you have to make reservations if your on coach or do you just head to the diner and take a seat?

I have a question on the diner car, do you have to make reservations if your on coach or do you just head to the diner and take a seat?
For breakfast no reservations are required, although if the car fills up they will start a waiting list.

For lunch and dinner, reservations are required. The Lead Service Attendant will come around through the coaches taking reservations, once they've gone through the sleeping cars. So usually the best times will be gone by the time he/she reaches the coaches. And on a particularly full train, he/she may well run out of time slots before he/she gets to the coaches or at least very far into the coach section.

For breakfast no reservations are required, although if the car fills up they will start a waiting list.

For lunch and dinner, reservations are required. The Lead Service Attendant will come around through the coaches taking reservations, once they've gone through the sleeping cars. So usually the best times will be gone by the time he/she reaches the coaches. And on a particularly full train, he/she may well run out of time slots before he/she gets to the coaches or at least very far into the coach section.

To answer your questions regarding sleeper/ outlets etc. have a look on my website where you can discover all details by yourself... almost as good as to be there yourself ( Quicktime Virtual Reality)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back