First time overnight ride on Southwest Cheif

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The "accommodation prices" are the sleeper upcharges and do indeed go in an arithmetic progression (within a few dollars). But your figures are the sums of those accommodation charges and some coach fares. And because coach fares themselves go in a geometric progression it's no small wonder you can't "see" any pattern in them. Each type of fare (coach and sleeper upcharge) must be analyzed mathematically and separately in order to discern any progression. Only the very simplest can be seen with the naked eye, such the arithmetic progression in the set 100, 200, 300, 400, 500. However, the type of progression in the set 127, 198, 269, 340, 411 is harder to eyeball.

Last edited by a moderator:
The "accommodation prices" are the sleeper upcharges and do indeed go in an arithmetic progression (within a few dollars). But your figures are the sums of those accommodation charges and some coach fares. And because coach fares themselves go in a geometric progression it's no small wonder you can't "see" any pattern in them. Each type of fare (coach and sleeper upcharge) must be analyzed mathematically and separately in order to discern any progression. Only the very simplest can be seen with the naked eye, such the arithmetic progression in the set 100, 200, 300, 400, 500. However, the type of progression in the set 127, 198, 269, 340, 411 is harder to eyeball.
But the rail fare for a sleeper is constant, no matter what the room costs or what coach costs...

Whatever the reason, you are correct: The five fares you gave previously are not in anything close to an arithmetic progression with the largest difference between consecutive fares being $103 and the smallest being $52. But oddly, they do form a fairly good geometric progression with an average factor of about 1.13 ± 0.03 from one to the next. And I've no idea why.

However, my conclusions about the two types of progressions are based on fares for the entire route. Those conclusions were used to estimate coach and sleeper fares when one or two were unknown (not offered). And when subsequent AmSnag checks revealed the missing fares, the estimates were fairly close.

These are, after all, only ways to look at the relationships between fare buckets for a given route. Even when all the buckets are known (offered by Amtrak) none of them are perfect fits for either a geometric or arithmetic progression. But one is usually a better fit than the other.

And I was worried that explaining that mules (offspring of a female horse/64 and male donkey/62) have 63 chromosomes and thereby can not breed was going to set off the science nerd alarm......Started a new season of teaching G-Pro classes (Fundamentals of High Performance/Green Bldgs and Green Bldg for Electricians, sort of LEED light) Keeps my brain alive after I retired from the trade. Administrator walks in and says "if I hear anyone call him by his real name, you fail, in this class call him Sheldon"

It's fun sometimes to takes something to heart for no reason other than---"because" LOL

So the cheapest rates I see for 2 adults and 2 children is about 964 for the family bedroom. On the 26th of May. Or am I missing something. Why cant I just get a roomette by myself and buy the wife and kids coach. We just couldn't eat together lol

So the cheapest rates I see for 2 adults and 2 children is about 964 for the family bedroom. On the 26th of May. Or am I missing something. Why cant I just get a roomette by myself and buy the wife and kids coach. We just couldn't eat together lol
I'm 99% sure that you are correct - the $964 is the low bucket fare. Is that more than you were expecting?

Thought about that but didn't know if wed get separated. Plus I like the idea of getting the back of the car. I doubt we will be in the sleeper except to sleep. How many family bedrooms are on the SW #3? Is the train pretty packed? Haven't booked yet though. Whats everybody's thoughts on this?
Do NOT book your reservations on line if you go the two roomette route! Call the 1-800-USA-RAIL number to make your reservations. That way, a real human can ensure that you have cross-the-hall room numbers (3-4, 5-6 ... 13/14) (roomettes 11-14 are on thee lower level, 13&14 abut the family room).

Use Amsnag (http://biketrain.x10.mx/amsnag2.0/amSnag.php) to find the dates with the lowest prices, then call Amtrak and book the dates of your choice. If your dates are flexible, you should be able to save a bundle. As Niemi24s remarked above, the windows on the roomettes are considerably larger than in the family bedroom. Why? Probably structural strength requirements due to the family room location in the car. And with across-the-hall roomettes, it's easy to see out of both sides of the train when the curtains and doors are open to the hallway.

As far as being packed, during summer and holiday seasons, yes. I generally book my vacations for late April or early May to avoid the crowds, but sometimes there's 1 less coach and 1 less sleeper during the 'slow' seasons (Jan-Feb, etc). I've never encountered other than 2 'regular' Superliner sleepers on #3 or #4. As such, there's only 2 family bedrooms on the train. I'm guessing that after the first one gets sold, there's a significant price increase for the last one. Including the crew/dorm car that has 8 roomettes available for passengers, there's 14+14+8 = 36 roomettes on each train.
I called the USA RAIL number today. Ronald was so helpful and they can do so much more than the website. So ya if your wanting to book a vacation and willing to do the legwork go this route first. Should have called first but in my deal orientated mind calling is your last option...Not with Amtrak

For may 26th I get $1102.40, but it's only $964.40 for at least 5 days before and after the 26th. And two roomettes would be $910.40 on the 25th and 26th if your kids are too tall for those short beds in the Family Bedroom.

Expect any canyon experience that involves an overnight at Phantom Ranch to be either booked up for at least a year or very expensive - or both. Not familiar with this "AmTrak" tour company, but if they were allowed to pre-purchase some of the limited overnight spaces they will be very expensive as part of a tour.

My wife and I did the hike down to the river a few years ago and stayed at Phantom Ranch for two nights. A marvelous experience - the best hike of my life. But the "real work" was over 2 years before the hike when the spaces for that season opened up and I spent 3 HOURS continuously speed-dialing the reservation number and was very lucky to snag two permits for Phantom ranch. They all sold out for the year later that morning.

I imagine that it is more computerized and user-friendly these days, but still a "tough ticket" to get.

Walking vs. donkey (to inject yet a third nomenclature variant) is pretty much a choice of what part of your body you want to ache the days afterward.

So I'm guessing that you will probably end up with a shorter ride or hikes of some sort. But if your family hasn't seen the canyon, it will be a very worthwhile experience.

By the way, the walk down to Phantom Ranch is MUCH more difficult than the walk back up!
You got any links?

I'm 99% sure that you are correct - the $964 is the low bucket fare. Is that more than you were expecting?
No it's what I was seeing on the website as well. I called in and was told it's the next lowest price tier so I was fine with that. I booked it over the phone with no cash for a week till my silly points come in. 72 hours really!!?!?!

For may 26th I get $1102.40, but it's only $964.40 for at least 5 days before and after the 26th. And two roomettes would be $910.40 on the 25th and 26th if your kids are too tall for those short beds in the Family Bedroom.
I just booked one of the two family bedrooms so that's probably why. My kids are 4 ft so they should be fine. Heck one sleeps on top of her mother anyways lol.

Great! By booking this early you have at least secured the (relatively scarce) sleeping accommodation you desire. And at the next-to-lowest bucket. All you have left to do is keep an eye on fares and if the FB upcharge ever drops to its lowest bucket of $403 prior to your departure you can call and have your reservation modified to the lower fare and save $147 - or maybe twice that if it drops on both legs of the trip on the dates you booked.

I take the Chief from Kansas City to California all the time. I have only had the Family Bedroom once though. The first night is really rough riding so be prepared for that. Being down on the lower level adds to the rough ride. Other than that, it's very quiet on the lower level and you can keep a close eye on your luggage. The bathrooms and showers are close by as well. Enjoy!

So I finally got this trip booked but what a pain trying to save 150$. I bought the bonus points from Amtrak rewards last week. I thought everything was taken care of but the stupid 72 hour policy pretty much guarantees chaos and unsatisfied customers when the Bank denies the transaction because they only lift limits for 48 hours. So ya that's definitely a problem with there system and most Credit Card companies. I finally got hold of a supervisor and she pretty much overrode everything and just said to watch my CC statement lol. I mean why does it take 72 hours to complete a transaction??!?!!

Back