first time on train questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Buffy

I am going on my first train trip in two weeks. We are going by Amtrack and have a sleeping room. Does anyone have any suggestions or information I might need? Are there smoking areas on board or will I need to get off the train at stops? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Unless you are traveling on Amtrak's AutoTrain, there is no smoking on board Amtrak trains. You will only be able to smoke at the longer station stops. At many small stations, the train will only stop of a minute or two, so you won't be allowed to get off and smoke. Check with you sleeping car attendant for the smoking stops.

Even then, don't wander too far from the train or you might get left behind.

As for other things to know, I'd start with On Track On Line's travel tips.

Better yet, get "the patch" or some other aid before the trip, step on the train as a smoker, use the enforced non-smoking time, with the patch or other aid, to your advantage, and step off the train as a non-smoker, and have all that extra money (and better health) for more travel or whatever you want!!!!

Back