First time, also alone, need some advice and answers

• Thread starter Andrew from California
  • Start date
Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andrew from California

My name is Andrew, I will be using Amtrak for the first time (with me paying) and will be traveling alone to visit my Girlfriend for Thanksgiving. I wanted to find out a few things so I don't screw it up. First off, I'm going from Fresno to Bakersfield on train, this part isn't as concerning for me as it seems that this will be fine. However, when in Bakersfield I take a bus to Los Angeles. I have never used a bus, so I was wondering how that works: where is the buses compared to the station? Are they hard to find, do I have to go somewhere else to get on the bus? Basically, how does it work? Next I take a bus to LA (assuming I got this far) so I wondering once again will the bus take me right to where the trains are? What happens if there's traffic (it is LA after all) and I don't make the train? Afterwards I take a train to Orange County so that should be fine as long as I can find where the trains are, as I've used the Orange county station before. How helpful are employees in terms of being able to help me find where to go if I'm still confused? If anyone has been to either place I mentioned as unfamiliar how's it work? I'm really nervous as I have never planned a trip like this by myself (only 19) so I want to get this right, one so I don't get stuck with no way to get to her or home, and two I will have not seen her in person for 3 months at that point, so I really want to see her again. I know this was lengthy to read but this means a lot to me, we've been talking about this for weeks now so if you can help please do.

You won't have any trouble. In Bakersfield, the buses are right across the platform from the train. Read the front of the bus to make sure you get in line for the right one, then double-check by asking the driver.

You didn't say what day or time you are going. Unless there is something out of the ordinary affecting traffic, you shouldn't have a problem. If you miss your train in LA, Amtrak will put you on the next train.

There have been some changes at the LA depot since I've been there. From what people have said, the changes have all improved it. From the bus area, go in the building (everybody else on the bus will also be entering the building) and look for signs about what track your train will be on, then follow signs to that track. There is at least one staffed info booth.

Most people who take Amtrak are friendly. If you are worried, make friends with someone on each leg who can point you in the right direction for the next leg.

Before you buy your tickets, join AGR (Amtrak Guest Rewards). AGR points are much easier to use than airline points and it won't take many trips to earn a free trip. If you get a referral from someone who is already a member, you both get 500 points; there is a thread here on AU requesting referrals in case you don't already know someone.

Don't worry it much. Using public transport sometimes means change from rail to bus and back again.

Just keep your e-tickets (and maybe a hardcopy) by you and ask anyone you see at any station how to get to the next stage of your trip.

The train-bus and vice-versa are used by hundreds every day. The trip "just works" for thousands of people.

The good thing about using the so-so rails at LA is -- you miss the freeway, the delay is not so bad.

I used the local transit and Amtrak in LA and OC for the first time last May, my fears disappeard .

It's easy.

Do some homework on the public websites of the various agencies.

And -- there's an app for that -- your smartphone has an app for the whole LA area transit thing, up=to=the=minute updates.

Don't sweat, just look at the options -- really.

Last edited by a moderator:
The bus you're referring to is a dedicated Thruway bus that goes directly nonstop from Bakersfield to Los Angeles from the train station to the train station - and is only for Amtrak passengers! In Bakersfield they are next to the platform, in LA they are on the side of the station (walk into the door next to the bus and you're in the lobby of the station).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back