First long-distance trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eee

Train Attendant
My wife and I will be taking our first long-distance train trip this summer, and we have a few questions. We're traveling from Newton, Kansas, to Albany, New York, via the Southwest Chief and Lake Shore Limited, a roomette on both trains. We've taken quite a few day trips on Amtrak, and been on a shorter trip in coach on the Southwest Chief once.

Newton doesn't appear to offer checked baggage, so I guess we'd just put our suitcases on a downstairs rack? Then we'd probably check it from Chicago to Albany. Does this sound right? Where's the checked luggage desk in Chicago in relation to the Metropolitan Lounge? Will we reclaim our checked luggage in the station in Albany, or how does that work?

How early would you advise arriving back to Chicago Union Station? We don't want to cut it too close, but the idea of spending a significant portion of our 6 hour layover in Chicago sitting in a lounge/on a nonmoving train does not sound enticing. Not when there's so much eating/shopping/sightseeing possible in Chicago.

Thanks for all the help.

Based upon your post, I'm going to assume you know (at least roughly) where Metropolitan Lounge is in Chicago Union Station. At the point where you would turn right (if coming from the Southwest Chief and other southern track trains) to go to the waiting lounges and Metropolitan Lounge, on your left are the Amtrak Ticket Counters and at the far (west) end of the ticket counters is the Baggage Check-In.

When you check in at Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago, they will give you a card with a time written on it telling you when to return for departure on the Lake Shore Limited. As far as when to return to Union Station in general as opposed to Metropolitan Lounge in particular, I would say it would depend upon your level of familiarity with Chicago and Union Station. If not very familiar, plan to be back to Union Station sooner (more of a time buffer) than otherwise.

Eee,

Yes, without checked luggage you'd have to put it in the rack downstairs on the Chief.

In Chicago as you detrain you'll be walking down a hall that runs between the south waiting area and the back area of the ticket windows. You'd turn right through the doors to reach the Metro Lounge. The ticket windows are on your left, and the baggage check area is to the far right of the ticket windows.

Upon reaching Albany you'll go upstairs into the station to claim your luggage.

And when you check into the lounge, they'll hand you a card that allows you to come and go as you please for the time you are in Chicago. Written at the top of that card will be the time that you need to be back in the lounge in order to board your train.

When you check in at Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago, they will give you a card with a time written on it telling you when to return for departure on the Lake Shore Limited. As far as when to return to Union Station in general as opposed to Metropolitan Lounge in particular, I would say it would depend upon your level of familiarity with Chicago and Union Station. If not very familiar, plan to be back to Union Station sooner (more of a time buffer) than otherwise.
I read on another thread that they'd want you back in the lounge by 8pm or so for a 9:30pm departure. We want to fit in as much as possible in Chicago, and being back 90 minutes early just seems nuts to me. I don't even get to the airport that early. Obviously I don't want to return to the lounge at the last minute, but wouldn't 30 minutes early still allow plenty of time? 45 minutes?

I read on another thread that they'd want you back in the lounge by 8pm or so for a 9:30pm departure. We want to fit in as much as possible in Chicago, and being back 90 minutes early just seems nuts to me. I don't even get to the airport that early. Obviously I don't want to return to the lounge at the last minute, but wouldn't 30 minutes early still allow plenty of time? 45 minutes?

Sleeping car passengers board the Lake Shore Limited early (much earlier than coach passengers) and are "invited" to a wine and cheese reception/tasting in the dining car. I believe the Metropolitan Lounge closes after the early Lake Shore Limited boarding time, so if you returned later (say 8:45 or 9:00pm as you mention) you would have to join the coach passengers in the regular south waiting lounge and board with them, rather than boarding directly from the Metropolitan Lounge and avoiding the typically long lines in which coach passengers must wait.

Sleeping car passengers board the Lake Shore Limited early (much earlier than coach passengers) and are "invited" to a wine and cheese reception/tasting in the dining car. I believe the Metropolitan Lounge closes after the early Lake Shore Limited boarding time, so if you returned later (say 8:45 or 9:00pm as you mention) you would have to join the coach passengers in the regular south waiting lounge and board with them, rather than boarding directly from the Metropolitan Lounge and avoiding the typically long lines in which coach passengers must wait.
Correct.

I'm not sure if the Met Lounge closes immediately after boarding, but it probably does shortly there after. And that could trap your luggage if you return too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back