First LD - what do I do??

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lazy Z

Service Attendant
Yay! FINALLY taking our first overnight trip! LAX to PDX. We have 2 bedrooms (my mom and my daughter and I).

Any tips on what to do when we get to the station? Where do we go, what do we do? I am so excited!! We will have bags to check in. How early can we check in? Is there any special place for us since we are in sleepers?

Thanks for any help whatsoever! I had spent so much time planning and discussing the trip we finally had to cancel (LAX to ORL), and now I feel like I know nothing at all again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you are taking the Coast Starlight (CS) out of LAX, once you check in your bags (in the Parcel Room I believe, but I could be wrong - I never checked bags there), head to the Traxx Lounge (near the front door) for snacks and beverages. They will also take your tickets there. I believe they open about 8:30 or so.

Once on the CS, if it has a Pacific Parlour Car (PPC) attached, spend some time there! If your rooms are not on the ocean side (left side headed north), go to the Lounge car or PPC for the ocean views!

Best advice is to enjoy the trip!
cool.gif

We checked bags right at the Traxx lounge. We had sleepers on the CS which, as noted, entitles you to wait in the little area of the Traxx lounge. Nothing very special but does keep you out of the mayhem which can be the general area of LAUS. Soon after the area opened, they rolled out a dias where a friendly man could accpt any bags you wanted to check. They also bought red caps to this area to give anyone a ride to the train when it was time to board. Enjoy your trip.

So, if we do not beeline to the PPC will it be hard to get a seat during the trip? Is this any sort of etiquette on how long people remain in the seats? Being that I will have a child and a senior with me, beelining is going to be interesting and finding 3 spots together even more so :)

Yay! FINALLY taking our first overnight trip! LAX to PDX. We have 2 bedrooms (my mom and my daughter and I).

Any tips on what to do when we get to the station? Where do we go, what do we do? I am so excited!! We will have bags to check in. How early can we check in? Is there any special place for us since we are in sleepers?

Thanks for any help whatsoever! I had spent so much time planning and discussing the trip we finally had to cancel (LAX to ORL), and now I feel like I know nothing at all again!

Since you have a sleeper, the CS has (and is the only "regular" Amtrak to do so) a separate Lounge car (hopefully a PPC) for sleeper passengers! I have never had trouble getting a seat in the Lounge car on the CS. For some reason, many sleeper passengers do not go there!
wacko.gif
And the same can be said for the "regular" lounge car - most times I can easily find a seat!

Well, there have been times when the PPC was extraordinarily empty & other times, exceptionally crowded. There are no set rules, as far as time limits, but I have seen the PPC Attendant move the abusers along. With two Bedrooms, you may enjoy your privacy more than the PPC.( Do you know if your rooms have the adjoining door?)

Have Fun

In my experience, the number of people enjoying the PPC vary. Northbound, it often is fairly full immediately leaving LA, then people drift out as the San Fernando Valley rolls by. It is usually reasonably empty over Santa Susanna Pass and the Simi Valley. It starts to fill up again after Oxnard, and lunch service starts, so the tables are now for the passengers eating meals. It is usually pretty full by Santa Barbara and stays that way up to past Surf. After the train turns inland, people drift out again.

The wine tasting is usually done going out SLO and up Cuesta Grade. After the wine tasting, it clears out again. It stays fairly open the rest of the day, up through the Salinas Valley.

If your room is on the inland side (right side), you may want to stake out seats in the PPC before the ocean running starts past Ventura.

People usually stay in their seats as long as they want. However, "chair hogging" by reserving a seat you are not sitting in is frowned on. Going for a restroom break is fine, though. All in all, getting a seat in the PPC is usually a lot easy than in an SSL for the "good parts." It may not be a big comfy swiveler though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back