First cross country Amtrak trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetSue

Train Attendant
My husband and I are looking forward to our first cross country trip on Amtrak in mid May. We had planned this trip with our three sons and my husband's sister's family back in 1999 and then had to cancel as my father-in law had a stroke before we left. We are finally able to make the trip but this time it will just be the two of us. If we enjoy the trip, next year his sister and her husband would like to join us on the Empire Builder and California Zepher. (She is very claustrophobic though and I wonder if a bedroom will work for her, no way would the roomette!) The only time we have been on Amtrak is between Toledo and Chicago. If this is an enjoyable trip, there will hopefully be many more for us as my husband WON'T fly!!

We will be taking the SWC from Chicago to Flagstaff and will return from Fullerton to Chicago. (We are staying with my aunt in Seal Beach) I'm getting the idea from reading the travel reports that there is not much room in the roomettes. I looked at Amtrak's virtual tour of a roomette and it shows a small closet in the roomette yet from other sources with pictures, it looks like it is only a garment hook. We would like to bring two tote bags with us. One with a change of clothes and and one with books, DVD player, cards, snacks, etc. Is there really room under the seats to put the bags during the day? I will most likely put all valuables like the DVD player in my large purse when we go to the dining car or observation car. Just wondering if there really is a closet like the Amtrak site shows.

Would it be worth it to bring our own pillows? Most reports say that the pillow is small. I just hate to carry more than I need but I want to be as comfortable as possible also. I've read alot of the travel reports and there are a lot of suggestions which I have been noting. If anyone has any other suggestions for a first timer, please let me know. Thanks.

I'd bring my own pillow, were I you.

The Roomette isn't all that bad claustrophobicly, especially as you never spend the day in it.

Some of them have closets, some do not. The Superliner Is, both the unrefurbished and the refurbished, have closets. Superliner IIs do not.

Theft is generally not a problem on the train. Don't bring snacks- buy them on the train. The food is hot and good on the train, and you can't consume your own snacks in the lounge car.

My husband and I are looking forward to our first cross country trip on Amtrak in mid May. We had planned this trip with our three sons and my husband's sister's family back in 1999 and then had to cancel as my father-in law had a stroke before we left. We are finally able to make the trip but this time it will just be the two of us. If we enjoy the trip, next year his sister and her husband would like to join us on the Empire Builder and California Zepher. (She is very claustrophobic though and I wonder if a bedroom will work for her, no way would the roomette!) The only time we have been on Amtrak is between Toledo and Chicago. If this is an enjoyable trip, there will hopefully be many more for us as my husband WON'T fly!!
If I read this correct, If you like this trip then three of you will use a bedroom on the next trip, correct? If this is indeed what you mean the the larger room won't help, but if you mean the sister will be in a bedroom by herself then yes. I personally like a Roomette for only myself, as I store things on the upper bunk which is left down the whole trip.

We will be taking the SWC from Chicago to Flagstaff and will return from Fullerton to Chicago. (We are staying with my aunt in Seal Beach) I'm getting the idea from reading the travel reports that there is not much room in the roomettes. I looked at Amtrak's virtual tour of a roomette and it shows a small closet in the roomette yet from other sources with pictures, it looks like it is only a garment hook. We would like to bring two tote bags with us. One with a change of clothes and and one with books, DVD player, cards, snacks, etc. Is there really room under the seats to put the bags during the day? I will most likely put all valuables like the DVD player in my large purse when we go to the dining car or observation car. Just wondering if there really is a closet like the Amtrak site shows.
This is an excellent train. noted for good service. I have ridden the train several times. There isn't much storage in the room, especially for 2. So I would suggest plan on keeping in the room only your next change of clothes and such items like the DVD that could be a target. Because of the proximity of the Attendant and less traffic theft isn't prevalent but it can occasionally happen, use common sence. The Downstair Luggage area is ample, and when I traveled always kept my clothes suitcase there on only my camera, computer in room.

I don't understand the Flagstaff, Seal Beach, Fullerton connection, but that is OK. Fullerton station is well staffed with good people, I go there frequently, when I am in LA, as it is near my Daughter. It does have checked baggage service. The time the Southwest Chief is in the station, is short, so be prepared, when they announce it's arrival, Should be very on time as it is the second stop in it's run to Chicago. I have seen too many trains through the station, so ask the staff which end of the platform where you should wait for your sleeper car.

Enjoy your trip, Visit my Photo gallery If you wish, to see pictures of this train or Fullerton station. I don't have any of Seal Bach or Flagstaff

Would it be worth it to bring our own pillows? Most reports say that the pillow is small. I just hate to carry more than I need but I want to be as comfortable as possible also. I've read alot of the travel reports and there are a lot of suggestions which I have been noting. If anyone has any other suggestions for a first timer, please let me know. Thanks.
The Pillow I don't know what to comment, never had an issue about pillows on any train trip. maybe its because I am used to sleeping were I can when I can.

Aloha

I'd bring my own pillow, were I you.
The Roomette isn't all that bad claustrophobicly, especially as you never spend the day in it.

Some of them have closets, some do not. The Superliner Is, both the unrefurbished and the refurbished, have closets. Superliner IIs do not.

Theft is generally not a problem on the train. Don't bring snacks- buy them on the train. The food is hot and good on the train, and you can't consume your own snacks in the lounge car.

Thanks for the suggestions. SS :D

Last edited by a moderator:
If I read this correct, If you like this trip then three of you will use a bedroom on the next trip, correct? If this is indeed what you mean the the larger room won't help, but if you mean the sister will be in a bedroom by herself then yes. I personally like a Roomette for only myself, as I store things on the upper bunk which is left down the whole trip.

This is an excellent train. noted for good service. I have ridden the train several times. There isn't much storage in the room, especially for 2. So I would suggest plan on keeping in the room only your next change of clothes and such items like the DVD that could be a target. Because of the proximity of the Attendant and less traffic theft isn't prevalent but it can occasionally happen, use common sence. The Downstair Luggage area is ample, and when I traveled always kept my clothes suitcase there on only my camera, computer in room.

I don't understand the Flagstaff, Seal Beach, Fullerton connection, but that is OK. Fullerton station is well staffed with good people, I go there frequently, when I am in LA, as it is near my Daughter. It does have checked baggage service. The time the Southwest Chief is in the station, is short, so be prepared, when they announce it's arrival, Should be very on time as it is the second stop in it's run to Chicago. I have seen too many trains through the station, so ask the staff which end of the platform where you should wait for your sleeper car.

Enjoy your trip, Visit my Photo gallery If you wish, to see pictures of this train or Fullerton station. I don't have any of Seal Bach or Flagstaff

The Pillow I don't know what to comment, never had an issue about pillows on any train trip. maybe its because I am used to sleeping were I can when I can.

Aloha
Actually, if we take another trip, my sister-in-law and her husband would join us, so I'm thinking, two bedrooms for the four of us.

(We are getting off in Flagstaff on the way there, renting a car to go to the Grand Canyon and then to Las Vegas for a couple of days before driving to my aunts house in Seal Beach. That is close to the Fullerton station so we will board there for the trip home.) Thanks for the tip about asking where to stand to wait for our sleeper car at the Fullerton station.

Still would like to know if there is any room to put a tote bag under the seat if we get the superliner without closets in the roomette.

And another question, my reservation says that we have room 6 on the way there and room 4 coming back. Will we be seeing the same scenery on the way back or will the train be turned around and we will see what we didn't see going?

Thanks again for all the help. SS

And another question, my reservation says that we have room 6 on the way there and room 4 coming back. Will we be seeing the same scenery on the way back or will the train be turned around and we will see what we didn't see going?
Thanks again for all the help. SS
:eek:

No no no! Don't stay in the room! Go to the sightseer lounge!

Still would like to know if there is any room to put a tote bag under the seat if we get the superliner without closets in the roomette.
There should be some room under the seat when the bed is down. But don't forget that there is a luggage storage area on the lower level.

Since a sleeping car can be set either way (bedrooms forward or bedrooms to the back), there is no way to know for sure until you board! But if you spend much of the day in the Sightseer Lounge, you can see both! :)

Sweet Sue, go to the Amtrak website and get the dimensions of the roomette. Then take some electrical tape, a couple kitchen chairs and "make a roomette" in your house. Then move the chairs and lay down a sleeping bag with a pillow. That will give you an idea of how small the roomettes are. The size for me is a-ok, but was really glad I did this lil' trick for my girlfriend and her two daughters, they seemed to think that the rooms were bigger. This way, your not shocked when you see a roomette for the first time.

Hi,

I have seen two types of trains, some have a small closet about 6" deep, some have just a space. I prefer the space myself, as my small case will fit there fine,

Again, you will have space under your seats for some small bags too. The Amtrak "pillows" are more like a small flat cushion. I think the idea of laying out the roomette size is a good one. Broadly speaking they are fine for daytime seating, and provide single size bed widths for sleeping. Once the beds are made up, there is just enough room to stand between the edge of the beds and the door.. It sounds worse than it is, I am 55 and still manage to cope!

Ed B)

Sweet Sue, go to the Amtrak website and get the dimensions of the roomette. Then take some electrical tape, a couple kitchen chairs and "make a roomette" in your house. Then move the chairs and lay down a sleeping bag with a pillow. That will give you an idea of how small the roomettes are. The size for me is a-ok, but was really glad I did this lil' trick for my girlfriend and her two daughters, they seemed to think that the rooms were bigger. This way, your not shocked when you see a roomette for the first time.
Sounds like a good idea . Thanks, SS

There should be some room under the seat when the bed is down. But don't forget that there is a luggage storage area on the lower level.

Since a sleeping car can be set either way (bedrooms forward or bedrooms to the back), there is no way to know for sure until you board! But if you spend much of the day in the Sightseer Lounge, you can see both! :)

Is the luggage area in the lower level accessible during the trip if I need something? I only planned on a couple of small tote bags in the room with us, I figured our other luggage would be checked, but I could put our change of clothes in a small case in the lower level if it is acessible then I would only need to bring one tote into the roomette to save room.

Thanks for all your help. SS

Is the luggage area in the lower level accessible during the trip if I need something? I only planned on a couple of small tote bags in the room with us, I figured our other luggage would be checked, but I could put our change of clothes in a small case in the lower level if it is accessible then I would only need to bring one tote into the roomette to save room.

Thanks for all your help. SS
Yes - it is completely accessible. Sometimes, other folks move things around getting to their luggage and it might get piled on. Wise to keep an eye on it if is easily "smashed".

Is the luggage area in the lower level accessible during the trip if I need something? I only planned on a couple of small tote bags in the room with us, I figured our other luggage would be checked, but I could put our change of clothes in a small case in the lower level if it is acessible then I would only need to bring one tote into the roomette to save room.
Yes, it is accessible. What I do is place a larger bag in that storage area, and just bring a change of clothes in a small bag back to my seat or room. Then in the morning after I change, I can put the dirty stuff in that (or another small) bag - also kept in the storage area.

But just keep in mind that this storage area is accessible to you - but it is also accessible to everyone else! While theft is not really a problem, I would not place anything of real value (like a computer) there! I'd keep that with you.

Don't bring snacks- buy them on the train. The food is hot and good on the train, and you can't consume your own snacks in the lounge car.
I disagree. Bring some of your favorite snacks. They'll be much cheaper that way, and you'll be guaranteed to have the snacks you want. As for the lounge, I've not heard of the no outside snacks policy. And even if there is such a policy, I'd bring them there anyway. I just can't see any on board staff being concerned with someone eating licorice or a candy bar or M&Ms in the lounge. (of course nothing that's really messy)

Don't bring snacks- buy them on the train. The food is hot and good on the train, and you can't consume your own snacks in the lounge car.
As for the lounge, I've not heard of the no outside snacks policy. And even if there is such a policy, I'd bring them there anyway. I just can't see any on board staff being concerned with someone eating licorice or a candy bar or M&Ms in the lounge. (of course nothing that's really messy)
Amtrak's personal food policy is here, and indeed, it does prohibit outside food from being consumed in the lounge. (It also prohibits food from the lounge from being consumed outside the lounge--a policy I'd never heard of and never seen enforced...)

As for the lounge, I've not heard of the no outside snacks policy. And even if there is such a policy, I'd bring them there anyway. I just can't see any on board staff being concerned with someone eating licorice or a candy bar or M&Ms in the lounge. (of course nothing that's really messy)
Amtrak's personal food policy is here, and indeed, it does prohibit outside food from being consumed in the lounge. (It also prohibits food from the lounge from being consumed outside the lounge--a policy I'd never heard of and never seen enforced...)
I've read the policy two times and all I get out of it is that you can bring your own food and beverages (a surprise to me) to the upper deck of the sightseer car. Maybe when they establish Diner-lite cars on most trains this will be a moot subject if they pull the lounge cars off.

I've read the policy two times and all I get out of it is that you can bring your own food and beverages (a surprise to me) to the upper deck of the sightseer car. Maybe when they establish Diner-lite cars on most trains this will be a moot subject if they pull the lounge cars off.
I'm not worried about taking the snacks to the lounge. I can always go to my roomette and eat my snack, and then go back to the lounge or observation area, right? It will save money and I can have the snack I like, and not have to choose from what they have to offer.

Amtrak's food policies aren't really about someone bringing messy food into the cafe car (although that might be a small consideration). The food policy was made for two reasons, one health regulations. Two, to keep the tables in the cafe cars free for the paying customers.

And the policy does not prohibit food brought from the cafe from being consumed outside of the lounge. While I'll admit that paragraph is poorly worded and therefore confusing, that is not what this sentence means.

However, you can only consume food and beverages purchased in Dining and Lounge Cars in those cars.
It is trying to say is that the only food that one can eat in a dining car or a lounge car, is food brought from Amtrak. It does not mean that you can't take food purchased from Amtrak back to your seat in coach or to your sleeper.

I'm not worried about taking the snacks to the lounge. I can always go to my roomette and eat my snack, and then go back to the lounge or observation area, right? It will save money and I can have the snack I like, and not have to choose from what they have to offer.
Sue,

If you're in a Sightseer Lounge on the upper level, then you can bring your own snacks into the upper level. On the lower level you cannot bring your own snacks and of course not to the dining car. If it's a single level lounge car, then no snacks at all.

And yes, one can always run back to one's room and then return. However there is always a chance that you could loose your seat in the lounge car.

Roomettes are comfortable for one, rather cozy after you get over the shock of how small they are upon arriving. But it grows on you when you see the people in coach laying all over the seats.. As to luggage, a small bag would be good to keep vital items in in your room. There is virtually no place to put anything except as mentioned if the upper bunk is down, the you can lay the small case up there. But I wouldn't have a really large suitcase up there as it is very unhandy. My roomettes have had a very small closet, enough room to hang your shirt or robe and that about it. I find the small pillows adequate and you usually can get a second if you need it for more height. I wouldn't want any more to carry onboard and lug though stations.

In bedrooms you have much more room and a bathroom. If I had my luggage buying to do over I would never have selected the common sort of thick bag on wheels which is so prevalent in air travel now.. The sleepers space for luggage is about, (if I remember right, 11 inches maybe thick). You can't put a very thick piece of luggage under the seats. The old time hard sided type common luggage would slide under it and out of the way. A large piece will have to be placed in front of the door to the little bath room in most cases and makes it a bit unhandy.

I can not fathom not taking food from the lounge, as nearly all the emphasis now is on coach passengers being able to eat at there seats if they wish so I don't know where that comes from.

Sleeper travel is a great way to go, it just takes a bit of getting used to the ways of train travel. Once you do you will be hooked. My 84 year old mom made the trip to Seattle from the midwest last spring and enjoyed it so much we are leaving for California next week.. She loved sitting in the lounge or diner and watching the scenery and meeting new people. Its what train travel is all about.

Roomettes are comfortable for one, rather cozy after you get over the shock of how small they are upon arriving.
:p Well, my husband and I will be sharing the roomette so it will be nice to be cozy. (This is our first long distance trip alone since our children grew up!! :lol: I appreciate all the advice. I'll be sure to post my comments when we return, to let other newbies know what I think of the roomette. If it is TOO cozy, maybe next time it will be a bedroom for us!!

We are planning to pack light since we will be able to use the washer and dryer when we reach my aunt's house in CA. so probably only one suitcase and one tote bag each. Wondering if we should even check our bags if that is all we are taking. Maybe we should just carry them on and leave it in the accessible suitcase area. I imagine that will save time, not having to wait for our luggage when we arrive.

Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions and comments. SS

We are planning to pack light since we will be able to use the washer and dryer when we reach my aunt's house in CA. so probably only one suitcase and one tote bag each. Wondering if we should even check our bags if that is all we are taking. Maybe we should just carry them on and leave it in the accessible suitcase area. I imagine that will save time, not having to wait for our luggage when we arrive.
Unlike an airport, luggage collection is usually very fast - depending on the station. At some of the "small" stations I've checked bags to (like SLC, Reno and Grand Junction, CO, the luggage was collected from the luggage cart outside - usually within 5 minutes of arrival! Sometimes, I had collected my bag before the train had even left the station! B)

At a busier station like Denver or Albany, it usually takes no more than 15 or 20 minutes (most times less)! I don't know how long it takes at a place like NYP, WAS or CHI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back