First Amtrak vacation underway.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dogbert: FYI, Alpine only has Mom and Pop Rental Cars, no National Brands, but they meet the Train, are very friendly and provide used cars in good condition.

It's a fairly long drive over Hilly Roads to Big Bend National Park from Alpine, but Marfa is only 20 miles,away. Note it gets extremely Hot in the Park in the Summer, and Cold in the Winter, so Spring and Fall are the best times to visit!

Other "must sees" in the Big Country are Ft Davis,( makea,a Triangle with Marfa and,Alpine)including the Restored Fort, a National Historic Site,and McDonalds Observatory, the Star Parties held there are Fantastic! Lastly, the Natural Springs Pool and State Park @ Balmorhea. ( go for a day trip tp swim and take a Picnic Lunch)
I later realized it was just a mom and pop rental car company in Alpine, but that'd be fine for me. I'll have to research more on Fort Davis north of Marfa, since I thought I'd mainly spend time in Big Bend National Park, and perhaps briefly also in Big Bend Ranch State Park were I to do such a trip in the future. Thanks for the response.

Sounds like such a darned amazing trip you did there! To which cities/towns and destinations did your Alaska boat cruise go to? Once I do a Southwest Chief trip(due to my fear of its route through western Kansas, southeast Colorado, and northern New Mexico being rerouted after December 2018 over the positive train control issue, sigh), Empire Builder is probably near the top of my list to do a train trip on.

And that's cool you rented a car from Havre and went as far south as Yellowstone National Park. I was considering one day taking Amtrak to Alpine, TX(via Sunset Limited), then from there renting a car to get down to Big Bend National Park and back. Maybe also a brief side trip into Marfa, TX too as well, but we'll see if I do try to do a Big Bend trip via Amtrak someday.
We were on the Ruby Princess and went to Juneau, Ketchikan, Glacier Bay, Skagway & Victoria BC. My first cruise and I enjoyed very much but one week on ship was enough for me for one trip.We rent vehicles if going to be 3-4 or more days in an area. Less time we just Uber around until we get back to the train. We did this last weekend when we rode the Texas Eagle to Dallas for couple days. When we go to San Antonio mid October for a week we will get Enterprise to bring us a vehicle to the depot and drive ourselves around.
Thanks for mentioning where you did go, in Alaska. Nice it also did a stop in Victoria, BC as well! I guess this boat trip did not stop in Vancouver, BC?

Last edited by a moderator:
SarahZ, thanks for your update on The Palmer House. I had a few drinks there and I absolutely loved the interior design and the location of this venerable hotel. I usually stay at The Silversmith on Wabash Avenue. Excellent but expensive.

Back