First Amtrak LD trip in 15yrs !

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone newbie here...but have been traveling on Amtrak since I was a little girl. My last LD trip was the summer of 95' and it was also my first (and last) time in a bedroom (which we combined to a suite). Long story short, the flight prices then were lower and the bedroom prices had started to rise so we've been flying on our annual trip to Orlando ever since. This year, im traveling in August and the flight prices are RIDICULOUS !!!! So I think its time to make that change again. I've always been a train geek of sorts, and i'm extremely excited to be back on Amtrak !

Few questions. What should I expect? I'm sure not much has changed but how is customer service? Is the food still good? (last I remember the food was pretty good)

I'll be taking the Silver Meteor 3:15pm

Also is it possible for me to purchase my ticket just from a combination of "buying points" and transferring points from another program?

I've never traveled on the Meteor, but my experience has been that there's not a huge change since the mid-90s. I enjoy using Amtrak, but it requires that you are able to go with the flow and not be under strict time constraints. If that's possible for your trip, then you should be fine.

The food is still OK imo. Don't forget that with sleeper accommodations, meals in the dining car are included at no additional charge. Almost without exception, we've had acceptable to great service (on the Crescent). Apparently this varies a lot for others, however!

You can buy AGR points and transfer points from some other programs. If you have enough points, certainly you can use them for your trip. One of the good things about AGR is that bucket prices don't matter. RF is right about time getting short, though.

Best wishes for an enjoyable trip. Let us know how it goes.

Welcome!

Yes, you can buy points, transfer points from specific programs or pay cash/credit card. However, you can't do both - pay part using points and part using cash. Also remember that sleeper award covers the rail fare, the room and all meals in the dining car for either 1 or 2, provided they're listed on the award reservation!

As said, August is only a few weeks away. I'm not sure without looking if you're on the Star or Meteor, but if you wanted a bedroom, there are only 4 or 6 on the entire train! (There are many more Roomettes.) Also unlike airline awards, AGR awards are one way only.

One more thing: If your dates are flexible and you aren't using AGR points, check amsnag.net to compare best prices and availability for different dates.

Welcome!
Yes, you can buy points, transfer points from specific programs or pay cash/credit card. However, you can't do both - pay part using points and part using cash. Also remember that sleeper award covers the rail fare, the room and all meals in the dining car for either 1 or 2, provided they're listed on the award reservation!

As said, August is only a few weeks away. I'm not sure without looking if you're on the Star or Meteor, but if you wanted a bedroom, there are only 4 or 6 on the entire train! (There are many more Roomettes.) Also unlike airline awards, AGR awards are one way only.
Hey thanks for the responses everyone !

I believe i'll be on the meteor I think thats the 3:15pm train. But no I won't be in the bedroom this time, I don't find it necessary and I certainly don't have enough points lol. Since i'm by myself i'll be in a roomette ! I think thats perfect for 1 person..

The food is about the same - probably a bit downgraded from your previous experience. Gone are the dishes - plastic plates are to be found now in the diner.

The roomette will be Puh-lenty for a single one of you. Lots of storage for bags in the compartment above the room. The biggest change that I'm aware of in the last 15 years won't even apply - but there are no such thing as discounted onboard upgrades. If you're using points, no worries. Otherwise, book early and watch to see if the prices go down.

You'll have dinner around DC, breakfast out of Savannah, and you might could squeeze in a lunch before your Orlando arrival.

Customer service will be, as always, hit or miss. I've been relatively lucky on the Silver Meteor in the sleepers, but there are some not-so-swell attendants that take that route.

Meanwhile, enjoy your trip. Prepare for the worst case scenario, hope for the best. And let us all know how it turned out for ya! :)

Im officially booked for train 97 out of NYP ! Just a question I was given room #8... from just surfing around here..I heard the odd number rooms are better. Is that true? And if so can I change my room if I wanted?

The only odd/even debate of Roomette number is on the Cardinal, which goes thru the New River Gorge. On any other train it doesn't matter, since it could be situated either direction, and you don't know if odd is on the left or right until you board the train.

The only odd/even debate of Roomette number is on the Cardinal, which goes thru the New River Gorge. On any other train it doesn't matter, since it could be situated either direction, and you don't know if odd is on the left or right until you board the train.
Ok thats what I figured ! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back