Fires in Cal

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not an easy fix........

CqE-ClFVIAAbydk.jpg
That is ugly.

That is ugly.
Ugly indeed.

But only a hundred+ meters of track, and the foundations look good.

Maybe 2-4 days? to repair or replace?

I've seen, and been amazed, at what a Class I railroad can do to repair track and structures --- especially on a high-revenue main line -- and especially when the railroad is losing multimillions per day on account of the damage.

SWC #3 is almost on time this morning....all things considered ....good.

What happens to those that get off at Fullerton?? Not a big issue....maybe something out of LA Union to Buena Park or Full??

Will be in So Cal Wed, via SWC, so kinda planning....

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I don't see them weeping and wailing and tearing their vests off, so I guess it isn't hopeless. Just messy.

What happens to those that get off at Fullerton?? Not a big issue....maybe something out of LA Union to Buena Park or Full??

My semi-educated guess is that Fullerton passengers booked for the SWC will transfer to/from a Pacific Surfliner at L.A. Union Station.

My semi-educated guess is that Fullerton passengers booked for the SWC will transfer to/from a Pacific Surfliner at L.A. Union Station.
Figured that too.....went and looked at schedule a few minutes ago......if we are real late I can get on Metrolink for $3!!!!

Try again. On detoured 3 stopped at Mojave, CA backing up now. Dining car LSA says this detour takes 3 sets of pilots. Projected into LAX. At 8:45, which is fine. Sleeper LSA Darlin a very nice lady and had a pretty good night. Express menu breakfast with French Toast OK, except for the stupid paper coffee cup. The train appears to being wyed right now at Mojave. Should now be headed south to Metrolink territory.

Just stopped at Palmdale. A Metrolink train just went by us, pulled by a freight loco! The detour seems to be handled well.
All Metrolink trains are using leased BNSF freight units until problems can be resolved with the Hyundai Rotem cab cars, which tend to derail when striking vehicles at grade crossings

Just stopped at Palmdale. A Metrolink train just went by us, pulled by a freight loco! The detour seems to be handled well.
All Metrolink trains are using leased BNSF freight units until problems can be resolved with the Hyundai Rotem cab cars, which tend to derail when striking vehicles at grade crossings
Not quite all, just certain lines that can store the slightly longer trains easily

I saw a mention in an article of the rail lines in the Cajon that said UP was keeping theirs closed due to damage to a bridge. Possibly the one we saw here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Try again. On detoured 3 stopped at Mojave, CA backing up now. Dining car LSA says this detour takes 3 sets of pilots. Projected into LAX. At 8:45, which is fine. Sleeper LSA Darlin a very nice lady and had a pretty good night. Express menu breakfast with French Toast OK, except for the stupid paper coffee cup. The train appears to being wyed right now at Mojave. Should now be headed south to Metrolink territory.
So the train passes through Barstow and detours where?

The train went west from Barstow toward Bakersfield. Then the train was wyed at Mojave and went south and entered Metrolink territory at Lancaster. The detour has been well handled, although it looks questionable that I will make my connection st 9:55 to San Duego.

I will soon be taking the train more often to and from LAX so it would be interesting to see the changing scenery.

The train went west from Barstow toward Bakersfield. Then the train was wyed at Mojave and went south and entered Metrolink territory at Lancaster. The detour has been well handled, although it looks questionable that I will make my connection st 9:55 to San Duego.
How long did the wye take?

Arrived San Diego 50 minutes late, not bad for having a not insignificant fire so close to the tracks, which had been quenched, apparently by helicopters. The detour on 3 this morning was different and workable. The line via Lancaster - is this the route taken occasionally by the Coast Starlight when it is necessary to run it inland ?

Just looked at #4 tonight. It passed through San Bernardino and then Barstow close to schedule, so it is apparent that it has returned to its regular route.

I know that the CS detours via the Tehachapi Pass between Bakersfield and LA. I believe that the CS uses UP trackage between East Bay and LA, but not sure if it passes thru Lancaster (I don't think it passes thru there). As I have never been on a detoured CS, my information may be inaccurate, so don't quote me on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back