Fire Inspector Killed by Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From http://www.firefighterclosecalls.com:

:( "A veteran Fire Inspector with the Wilmington (DE) Fire Department, reported to be on-duty, was struck and killed Monday night by a train near Newport. WFD Fire Inspector Brian P. Waynant Sr., 45, a city police officer before joining the fire department six years ago, was pronounced dead at the scene after being hit by a southbound Amtrak train at 9:30 p.m. Delaware State police, along with Amtrak police and the city of Wilmington are investigating the circumstances surrounding the death but no foul play is suspected.

He is survived by his wife Cheri, a son and a daughter. A preliminary investigation has determined that the decorated fire inspector was on duty Monday night when the incident occurred but the circumstances leading to his tragic death-and determination of this being a line of duty death-have not yet been released. More to follow. Our condolences to all affected."

OK guys and gals. This is two, Detroit and now this. Could each and every one of the foamers that lurk around here contact (and volunteer with) their local "Operation Lifesaver" and make an effort to take the rail safety message to each firehouse in their area whose response includes active rail lines. THANK YOU!

In fact, my local fire station in Atlanta is about 100 feet from an active rail line, so that makes things even more difficult...

OK guys and gals. This is two, Detroit and now this. Could each and every one of the foamers that lurk around here contact (and volunteer with) their local "Operation Lifesaver" and make an effort to take the rail safety message to each firehouse in their area whose response includes active rail lines. THANK YOU!
My education in railroad safety began in 1945, and was continued by the "singing cop" who performed at our school monthly. "Don't play on the railroad tracks..." and like that.

I agree that the local firehouse is a good place to start, but it IS time to start another educational program with

EVERYBODY that trains just don't operate on the same laws of physics that cars and trucks do. Well, I guess they do, but people don't know that. People aren't stupid. People are just uneducated.

I'll take this suggestion and start today. I'll go down to our local firehouse and give them the Detroit article, and make sure they understand it. Don't play (park :( ) on the railroad tracks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back