Finally you can share points!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So have I figured this out correctly? I can pay someone $200 for 20,000 points which I can then redeem for a two zone roomette? Does the reward redemption include the ticket cost per passenger too though, or just the upgrade?
The reward includes the fare, the room and all meals that are served while on the train for up to two people.

So have I figured this out correctly? I can pay someone $200 for 20,000 points which I can then redeem for a two zone roomette?
Yes, you can do that. Keep in mind that the $200 you're paying that someone is simply reimbursing them for the $200 they will have to lay out to transfer their 20,000 points to your account. They end up even financially, and you're out $200.

Or, you can ask that same someone to call AGR and book your trip directly, using the same 20,000 points from his/her AGR account, and pay $0. S/he can have the AGR rep make the booking in your name and the name of your travelling partner, if you have one. Your someone is not out any cash and neither are you. Sounds like the better way to do it, at least from a financial perspective.

that transfer fee will keep you from going hog wild. If I buy points for my sister's account and then pay the fee to transfer them to my account which this time was $40. Those $40 really add up fast. I'm still trying to get the 12,000 points I need to add to my total for my reward trip.

So have I figured this out correctly? I can pay someone $200 for 20,000 points which I can then redeem for a two zone roomette?
Yes, you can do that. Keep in mind that the $200 you're paying that someone is simply reimbursing them for the $200 they will have to lay out to transfer their 20,000 points to your account. They end up even financially, and you're out $200.
I would be happy to give you $200 to transfer 20K points into my account - that will repay you for the transfer fee, but don't you also want to be paid for the value of the points?? Oops, that sounds like selling points, which we don't do

Or, you can ask that same someone to call AGR and book your trip directly, using the same 20,000 points from his/her AGR account, and pay $0. S/he can have the AGR rep make the booking in your name and the name of your travelling partner, if you have one. Your someone is not out any cash and neither are you. Sounds like the better way to do it, at least from a financial perspective.
IMHO the use of the point transfer is if we are taking a 20K trip and I have only 10K =oints and you have 10K points then we can transfer points so one of us has the 20K that we need,

I would be happy to give you $200 to transfer 20K points into my account - that will repay you for the transfer fee, but don't you also want to be paid for the value of the points?? Oops, that sounds like selling points, which we don't do

IMHO the use of the point transfer is if we are taking a 20K trip and I have only 10K =oints and you have 10K points then we can transfer points so one of us has the 20K that we need,
I'm assuming that the OP and the person he's getting the points from are family or close friends and the other person doesn't have a profit motive in the transfer. Thus the alternative that I suggested. Might be hard to do with total strangers. Trust and all. ;) I'd be happy to help you out, RRich, but I don't have an extra 20,000 AGR points laying around right now. ;)

Agreed, your example would be a good use of the transfer program. In your example the $100 transfer fee certainly seems worth it. Maybe some day AGR will allow family members to pool their points. I believe British Airways allows their frequent flyer plan members to pool points with family members, so there is a precedent.

Back