filthy restrooms/showers on almost all Amtrak trains I've been on

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The smell was terrible in coach. The attendant did something and it helped but she had to do it a couple times.
you mean in the coach car itself or in the coach restroom?

what did the attendant do? not air fresheners, I hope? :(
It was the coach car that stank to high heaven for a while. It was about half way on the trip so it appeared we might be looking at several hours of a smelly car. Nope. Not sure what was done but the smell subsided within 20 mins or so. Came back a second time but much briefer. I don't know what the actual bathroom(s) smelled like as the smell upstairs, this was a Superliner, was terrible. I will say that we were seated within about 3-4 rows of the stairs that go down to the bathrooms. After the second fix, whatever that was, we didn't have the smell again.

It will happen soon when the new viewliners come into service, but now, the roomettes have a toilet and the bedrooms have a toilet and shower. However, the coach restrooms on the Silver Meteor leave a lot to be desired, especially if one is boarding in Orlando and going south.
This is why I am so deeply concerned with the new Viewliner II's. The coach bathrooms on the Silvers are indeed a frequent mess, and I am fearful that the new public sleeper bathrooms will be the dreadful same.
Generally, the clientele in a Sleeper is much different than in Coach. (I ride both, so I do speak from experience.) I have not encountered filthy restrooms in Sleepers,as the Attendants seem to do a good job. And even with the new Viewliner IIs, I don't think that will be an issue, primarily due to the "social level" of the Sleeper passenger as compared to that of Coach.
It can't possibly have something to do with the difference in the number of people that use the restroom, no sir. Definitely because those dirty peons in coach have no sense of decency. :rolleyes:
Actually, that's true about the number of people using the restroom. However, having ridden Coach more often than Sleeper, I can say that the general clientele is indeed different. It's not an "us" versus "them" mentality, it's simply stating fact.

Interestingly, the last time I was on the Silver Meteor in a Roomette to NYC, I couldn't use the shower because it was full of crap. Not literally, but all the stuff the SCA wanted to stuff in there. Didn't want to have the Wrath of the SCA upon me, so I didn't mention it.
Usually in this case the SCA will move the stuff out if you ask. When I mentioned wanting to take a shower on a recent Silver trip the SCA asked me what time and at that time he came to my room to let me know the Shower was ready and even laid out towels for me.

I'm not sure if I can add "public shower" to the thread title... but that was what I intended to say.
Restrooms are bad enough, but some people really trash the shower rooms as well. On my return trip, I rushed to the shower room immediate after the train started moving, so I can have a clean shower....
Me too.

It's not an "us" versus "them" mentality, it's simply stating fact.
No, that's an opinion.

A faulty and unwelcome one to boot.
Do you feel the same way about the statement by responder Acela 150 who says the bathrooms are cleaner on the Acelas because business types have respect for their fellow peers, implying that regular coach people don't give a rat's ass about their fellow peers?

Sure, I believe it's equally incorrect.

However, it's a little less sensitive, as there isn't a history of "Acela vs. non-Acela" types around here. There is a long history of posters exhibiting choochoodood's attitude and coach riders complaining, and that's not the kind of acrimony we need to be having around here.

I've been on sleepers with filthy bathrooms and folks with bad BO and on coaches where everything was spic and span -- a stereotype of upper crusties on the sleepers and rabble in coach is a poor way to approach the topic. However, simple passenger math and the fact that an SCA has more of a financial incentive to keep the sleeper bathrooms clean usually, in my experience, mean that sleeper car bathrooms are cleaner than coach.

Financial incentive for the SCA is another good point (along with the previously mentioned difference in numbers of people that use those bathrooms). Classism has nothing to do with it.

I think it makes you confused.
Whoops. I meant Coach or sleeper, depending on the route, not Coach and sleeper. ^_^
Thanks for the correction. I thought you were throwing money away by buying a coach seat AND a sleeping room!!! :)

Back to the subject of toilets. I've only been in roomettes with the silly built-in toilet seat. I was fortunate because I got on at the train's originating city, so the toilet was spotless. I only rode it half way. Does the SCA clean the room and the toilet before the next occupant gets onboard? I will admit that my aim wasn't very straight at night, but I did clean up as much as I could.(without cleaning chemicals, all I had were paper towels and tissues) I ended up doing it like Jack Nicholson for the remainder of the ride.(i.e. German style)

I think it makes you confused.
Whoops. I meant Coach or sleeper, depending on the route, not Coach and sleeper. ^_^
Thanks for the correction. I thought you were throwing money away by buying a coach seat AND a sleeping room!!! :)

Back to the subject of toilets. I've only been in roomettes with the silly built-in toilet seat. I was fortunate because I got on at the train's originating city, so the toilet was spotless. I only rode it half way. Does the SCA clean the room and the toilet before the next occupant gets onboard? I will admit that my aim wasn't very straight at night, but I did clean up as much as I could.(without cleaning chemicals, all I had were paper towels and tissues) I ended up doing it like Jack Nicholson for the remainder of the ride.(i.e. German style)
I just gave up and went to use a Coach restroom. It's just filthy when you accidently spill stuff and even worse when it goes on the seat. Just another hard decision: try to clean up your Roomette, or walk all the way to Coach for a lavatory.

I always throw a Travel Size package of Sani-Wipes in my grip, especially if I have Viewliners on the itinerary. When I'm setting up the Room I always give the Commode and surrounding area including the cloth seat a quick wipe (throw the used towelette in the trash and not the pot). And if I have to use the public can and it is already a disaster area, a quick trip back to the Roomette for the wipes gets that problem solved :)

And if I have to use the public can and it is already a disaster area, a quick trip back to the Roomette for the wipes gets that problem solved :)
I'm a bit confused... if you're already back to the roomette, why not just conduct your business right there? :D :D :D

The 19th-century British writer Frances Trollope wrote that taking a trip on a Mississippi steamer was like "sharing the apartment of a party of well-conditioned pigs."

Imagine then, based on some the postings here, what he might say if traveling Amtrak today?! :eek:hboy: :eek:hboy: :eek:hboy:

And just remember that pigs come in all shapes and sizes, and can be found in both the sleeping cars and the coach cars!
don't forget the dining cars!!! :) there are pigs there as well. :)

some are sitting down to eat and ready to pig out...

some are being eaten(the bacon in cheeseburgers) :D :D :D

Dostoyevsky(or some bald Russian dude from early 19th century) once said the only way to judge a society/civilisation is to inspect its public toilets....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back