Female Engineer

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mandatory retirement ages used to be common, but were abolished for nearly all professions by federal law (prohibiting age discrimination) in the mid-1990s. It's still legal for a corporation to set a mandatory retirement age for CEOs and corporate board members, IIRC, but I don't remember what the other exceptions are; there aren't very many.

This evening (9/21 at 1930 hours), the southbound CS #11 is going through the San Fernando Valley with a female engineer at the helm. Thus speaketh my scanner!

Edit - added: She called the signal at Burbank Junction "clear" at 1947 hours. Gonna be early into LAUS!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen several female engineers working the CZ west of Denver. And, sadly, it was a female conductor (with whom I'd ridden often) who died in the CZ-cement trailer collision in Nevada several years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Bathroom breaks for engineers on Amtrak LD trains don't take that long, as i believe there is a toilet in each locomotive. I know that some engineers do so during the short CZ stop at Green River, UT.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

I think the fact remains -- on light-rail -- female drivers are accepted and a bit less than equal in numbers.

On Commuter rail, in USA, not so many female drivers. (nor in Japan, but some places in Europe seems more equal)

On Amtrak -- it will be a while -- cause of seniority, and history, and -- maybe 20 years before anywhere near half the hoggers will be female.

On USA-an Class I freights? Perhaps by the time my daughter dies more than 1/20th of Class I drivers (hoggers?) will be female. It's a more-than-living-pay job. And will take another quarter-century to be "equal-opportunity" -- for "females" !!! :) :) :)

Never mind equal-opportunity for "racial minorities" -- but eventually it will all work out.

I post this to boast that my daughter -- never learned to drive a train :) or an automobile. The kids have a clue about cars - LIKE -- why pay for a venue(driving) where texting is "evil" -- no way -- ride the public transit and text all you want.

Let's face it: it will be decades before the US reaches gender equality on the level of, say, Israel. When women can be drafted to the military... Well then we can think about equality.

I'm waiting for somebody to say there should be a mandatory competence exam for railfans after 70. :giggle: By the way, we shouldn't forget that airline pilots must retire at 60.

Not one size fits all. But mandatory annual competence exam after 70
This should be especially required for a Driver's License!
Come back and tell us if you still think that way when you get there.

How about one for drivers under 25? This group has a high accident rate primarily due to a belief in their own invincibility coupled with making stupid decisions.

Not one size fits all. But mandatory annual competence exam after 70
This should be especially required for a Driver's License!

How about one for drivers under 25? This group has a high accident rate primarily due to a belief in their own invincibility coupled with making stupid decisions.
Coupled with inexperience. They are tested before they get their driver's license for the first time, and there are stricter penalties for that group than most others if they do get into an accident or get a ticket. No matter what age you're at when you start driving, there will always be the lack of experience.

The problem with the youth drivers isn't the ability to pass a competency exam. Imposing one will provide no benefit.

On the other hand, accidents at the other end of the age spectrum can be prevented by removing the ability to drive from those who are no longer physically able to do so.

Unfortunately about 50% of all Drivers no matter what their age or experience have no business driving! And in Texas its easier to get a Drivers License ( not that lots driving have them or Insurance!) Than to Vote!

I'm 70 and I wouldn't be opposed to testing when I renew my License and I wish we had decent Public Transportation in Austin, I'd quit driving yesterday!!!!

Whatever the enforced, and unreasonable, retirement age.

It will be decades until equal-opportunity for female train-operating-people. *(on the Class I's -decades -- on local streetcar operators - almost fair even now)"

Because of the mostly-rational seniority rules that have been so hard-fought over the last 8 decades.

I think it would be really really cute to have a public test for competence -- yeah for train drivers and airline pilots and ship masters -- but also for automobile and recreational boat drivers, and for low-pay over-the-road-drivers. And maybe even for Senators and Congress-critturs :)

But, in the meantime -- yeah -- female engineers are probably competent as anybody - or more so (being younger on average) . Looking forward to more job openings soon.

If there's anyone out there who has a daughter who wants to run a train, pilot a plane, make a ship move -- Good on her!

I'm waiting for somebody to say there should be a mandatory competence exam for railfans after 70. :giggle: By the way, we shouldn't forget that airline pilots must retire at 60.
Henry, as much as I respect you and your work I have to call you out on this one. The mandatory retirement age for airline pilots is now 65.

This link explains: http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviation_industry/airline_operators/airline_safety/info/all_infos/media/age65_qa.pdf
Well! I gave up flying in 2009 and never kept up with things. Sixty-five is a much better age for airline pilot retirement. Thanks for setting me straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back