Favorite Western Long Haul

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Favorite Western Long Haul

• Sunset Limited

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Southwest Chief

• California Zephyr

• Empire Builder ( oops I mean America's Train)

• Coast Starlight

• Texas Eagle

• Total voters
I guess I have to choose the Sunnyset by deafult since it's the only "western" train I've been on (even though I've only been on the eastern leg). Hopefully that'll all change this summer. :D :rolleyes:

The Chief has Raton and Abbo Canyon and really flew at 90 (I think they have slowed it down recently). Anyway it seemed like it in December when I rode it. The Eastern part through Illinois was better when it went through Joliet and followed the canal into Chicago. Now Ill. is just corn and beans like the CZ.

Midland Valley said:
The Chief has Raton and Abbo Canyon and really flew at 90 (I think they have slowed it down recently). Anyway it seemed like it in December when I rode it. The Eastern part through Illinois was better when it went through Joliet and followed the canal into Chicago. Now Ill. is just corn and beans like the CZ.
I liked the"all Santa Fe" route better to between Galesburg and Joliet. But I will take the front range of the Rockies on the CZ over the chief anytime.

Midland Valley said:
The Chief has Raton and Abbo Canyon and really flew at 90 (I think they have slowed it down recently).  Anyway it seemed like it in December when I rode it.  The Eastern part through Illinois was better when it went through Joliet and followed the canal into Chicago.  Now Ill. is just corn and beans like the CZ.
Abo Canyon between Belen and west of Clovis in New Mexico? That's not on Amtrak route. Closest one would be between Gallup and AZ/NM border. It might be happened in the future because BNSF want to discontinue the track between ABQ and by Raton.

Well what's the name of that canyon with the narrow walls and the unique bridges in it? Its been about 2o years since I've been that far west.

Guest said:
Well what's the name of that canyon with the narrow walls and the unique bridges in it? Its been about 2o years since I've been that far west.
Should have logged in I guess. There is a canyon out there where, if you put your nose to the window you will scrape it on the side of the rock with bridges sorta like the ones in the royal gorge.

I love all the long distance trains immensely.

Have to give it to the CZ for scenery, however. I say that recognizing that there is much to see from all of them.

One of the neat things about long distance train travel is when you go to bed with one kind of scenery out your window and wake up the next morning to completely different scenery. You have to wander just what happened out your wndow last night.

gswager said:
I think it was Raton Pass.  I've never been visited that route before.  I've been traveled several times between LAX and Lamy (ABQ), NM on Southwest Chief.
That canyon is mentioned in the routeguides for the chief. If you can get a hold of one of those, you will get the name of it. I know that it is not Raton Pass because that is between Trinidad and Raton, and the narrow canyon that you are talking aboutl is between Lamy and Albuquerque.

gswager said:
It was Apache Canyon between Lamy and Las Vegas (no, not the sin city, but in New Mexico). You can find on Southwest Chief Route Guide. Guess that 3 of us are wrong. Time to ride again to refamiliar. B)
That was it! Apache Canyon. Still, what about the bridge or bridges I remember? Wish I still had that Santa Fe Guide; sold it at a garage sale several years ago. It even listed my hometown Belle Paline, Ks for its Bartlett Arboretum. It was on the San Fran Chief and the Southern section of the Grand Canyon.

As for those of you who have experienced the CZ, I've always wanted to west of Denver, But have only seen the corn and beans and corn and beans of the eastern half.

GG-1 said:
Midland Valley said:
As for those of you who have experienced the CZ, I've always wanted to west of Denver, But have only seen the corn and beans and corn and beans of the eastern half.
Aloha

Go here for my pictures of the California Zephyr
Those are great pictures of the two locomotives at Omaha Union Station. The last time I rode the CZ (from Hastings to Chicago) they weren't there.

Were you standing on the old Burlington Station level for those shots and are they doing anything with it?

Midland Valley said:
Those are great pictures of the two locomotives at Omaha Union Station.  The last time I rode the CZ (from Hastings to Chicago) they weren't there.Were you standing on the old Burlington Station level for those shots and are they doing anything with it?
Aloha

Took them from the train. Don't know anything about them.

Mahalo for the compliment.

Midland Valley said:
gswager said:
It was Apache Canyon between Lamy and Las Vegas (no, not the sin city, but in New Mexico).  You can find on Southwest Chief Route Guide.  Guess that 3 of us are wrong.  Time to ride again to refamiliar. B)
That was it! Apache Canyon. Still, what about the bridge or bridges I remember? Wish I still had that Santa Fe Guide; sold it at a garage sale several years ago. It even listed my hometown Belle Paline, Ks for its Bartlett Arboretum. It was on the San Fran Chief and the Southern section of the Grand Canyon.

I just booked passage on the SWC from Hutchinson to Albuquerque for two of my sons and myself 5-31. I'll figure out that bridge when I cross it.

May be the last time I get the chance if Bush gets his way.

Yes, that's a good idea to book the trip during 2005 fiscal year (until last day of Sept. 2005). I'm planning to do it so for this summer.

Other choice would be going to Canada, our closest neighbor, and ride on trains.

Back