Favorite food on Amtrak?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GlobalistPotato

Lead Service Attendant
Okay, I'm hungry! But it's too late for me to jump on the southbound Texas Eagle at Taylor and eat dinner on the way into Austin! :giggle:

So I'll have dinner at home. :D

I'm wondering what's people's favorite food on Amtrak, including things for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Probably would include dinning car food and any other food served on Amtrak.

I guess it's like a "if you could get one meal on your trip, what would you get?"

Which makes me wonder if anyone has a favorite out of the snack bar!

Does anyone have any favorites that were once served by Amtrak but aren't anymore?

I've heard a lot of people say that the Railroad French Toast is the best.

Does any route serve some particularly good dishes?

EDIT: Is just me, or does Amtrak need to improve their lunch dishes on the LD trains? Also, how good is the clam chowder on the Acela? (I might have it if I go see my family in Mass again. Oh, and I'm from Texas, so I guess OK versions of food taste great to outsiders)

Last edited by a moderator:
Creme Brulee cheesecake in the LD diners is BY FAR the best item on the menu, and easily the best cheesecake I've found anywhere.

Steak for dinner and Rail Road French Toast for breakfast.

I am similar to someone else's comment elsewhere, "...I am pawing at the diner door in the morning like a hungry cat."

Best special breakfast is eggs & corned beef hash. Yummy If that isn't available I usually get an omelette w/pork sausages. For a change I get French Toast & sausage.

Lunch - If the specials don't light my fire I get a burger - maybe a veggie burger

Dinner - best I've had on Amtrak are the Lamb shanks.

Seems like I had a chocolate peanut butter pie that was out of this world.

I'll vote for that chocolate peanut butter pie! And a steak I had on the SL was excellent. One on the TE, not quite as good. Maybe the difference between a CCC and a real diner?

And being from Texas, I also liked the ribs on the TE, although they're messy to eat.

Breakfast - usually I go for pancakes, unless I'm on the CS, where I'd go for one of the options in the PPC.

Lunch - the salad loaded with everything if I'm not too hungry, or perhaps the curry chicken.

Dinner - I'm in love with the Asian spare ribs on the CS yummmm! and also the bison meat loaf on the EB! *drool* (and the lamb shank in the PPC is delicious as well) (can you tell that I'm a gourmand? :) )

Not much of a dessert fan, but, if I had to choose, I'd get the Dutch apple pie a la mode.

Bon apetit!

Okay, I'm hungry! But it's too late for me to jump on the southbound Texas Eagle at Taylor and eat dinner on the way into Austin! :giggle:
You just missed it. The TE left Taylor at 5:35 and you posted at 5:40. Some days this week you still could have made it to the train quitte comfortably.

I'm looking forward to trying the Railroad French Toast on my trip in August.

I like breakfast on the Empire Builder when raison bread is served.

My favorite dessert is peanut butter chocolate cake.

Salmon is my favorite dinner entree, mainly because I am allergic to garlic and most of the time all the entrees, except salmon, contain garlic. Amtrak does a pretty good job with their salmon and I would order it often even if I had other options, but not every night. :lol:

My first choice for breakfast is the omelette with veggies and cheese, w/ sausage.

For lunch, unless one of the specials sounds good, I'll go with the cheeseburger (w/ bacon if the kitchen is up to it). Occasionally, on a long trip, I'll opt for an item off the kids' menu, as the portion is smaller.

Dinner: the steak is selected often, but if the crabcakes are on the menu, they usually get the nod.

The best dessert, in my opinion, is the bread pudding on the City and Crescent. Mmmm good :)

Rail Road French Toast for breakfast, the first time i had french toast (in hawaii) i didn't like it but Amtrak changed my mind :)

In the snack car i love the spicy chicken wings, great for a snack -_- am now feeling very hungry :(

The coffee. The coffee. The coffee. Outstanding for year. Drink it black with no sugar to get the taste and there is nothing as good. Have loved Amtrak coffee for many years.

I think the food in the diner is mediocre at best. Nothing there would really be on the list of things that I crave.

But I did just have an excellent "grilled chicken tandoori ceasar salad" on the acela last weekend.

They had a bourbon pecan pie on the Southwest Chief two weeks ago that was absolutely delicious. Everyone on board loved it.

Breakfast: RR French Toast, bacon, milk and orange juice.

Lunch: Could use some work, but I had a pretty solid salad on the SWC this spring.

Dinner: Either the ribs on the TE or the strip steak on the SM between WAS and RVR. Again, a glass of milk to drink, and a slice of pie for dessert.

Edit: I swear, I'm going to end up with Meteor crews that know my order before too long. I'm taking it again tomorrow morning...

Edit 2: Scrub that...>_<

Southwest Chief- the steak has became first class this year. also the peanut butter pie

Lake shore Limited-the best lamb I have ever had

Cresent-breakfast eggs and grits

Texas Eagle-augus burger with all the fixings

The steak of course and the french toast. This is two votes. One from me and one from my husband.

Southwest Chief- the steak has became first class this year. also the peanut butter pie

Lake shore Limited-the best lamb I have ever had

Cresent-breakfast eggs and grits

Texas Eagle-augus burger with all the fixings
Hats off to the Lamb on the Lake Shore. Coming back from NYC last January, Lamb Shank was the Special of the night and I ended up with a TITANIC size plate loaded with PERFECTLY cooked Lamb and a load of excellent mashed potatoes. Needless to say, all that was left was a pile of clean smooth white bones, a hefty tip and endless compliments to the chef when he came out for break.

Breakfast: Omeletes are always good, as is the French Toast! I liked the Pancakes on the EB also! The Turkey Patties are a Definite No!

Lunch: Sometimes the Special Sandwich is Pretty Tsty, also the Black Bean Veggie Burger tastes better than the Angus Burger IMO!

Dinner: Most of the time the Steak is Ecellent when it is a Steak, the So Called Braised Beef, aka Pot Roast, Not!

Dessert: The Bourbon Pecan Pie on the CONO is Outstanding :wub: , as WAS the Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie :wub: which has been replaced on the Eagles by Hagen-Das Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream! :(

ALL the Meals on the PPC on the Coast Starlite have been Outstanding!! :) :) :)

For Breakfast I always get the Railroad French Toast.

Lunch is the Angus Burger

For Dinner the Steak is my favorite, (although one time on the EB I had the Rainbow Trout and it was the best trout I've ever had).

I miss the Red Velvet Cake!! That was one of my favorites.

I find most of the selections are good, nothing outstanding.

I will never have the shrimp scampi again.

I like Breakfast best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back