Favorite carry-on bag for gear?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PetalumaLoco

Conductor
Ok, so I'm going to play tourist and load myself down with a laptop, Nikon, video camera, binocs, GPS, toiletries and as few clothes as possible for a x-country trip, booked in Roomettes, 3 nites.

Anyone have favorite carry-on luggage? My wife will be with me and her bag will be a std airliner sized carry-on bag. Me, I'm leaning towards a backpack. I hear I can hang it inside the Roomette while the beds are deployed. We'll stow larger suitcases that we won't need access to during the ride.

Here's what I was thinking about.

For me, a backpack.

In the roomettes, there is a "seat belt" up on the wall. I thread the seat belt thru my backpack's frame, and buckle the backpack firmly up against the wall.

Ok, so I'm going to play tourist and load myself down with a laptop, Nikon, video camera, binocs, GPS, toiletries and as few clothes as possible for a x-country trip, booked in Roomettes, 3 nites.
Anyone have favorite carry-on luggage? My wife will be with me and her bag will be a std airliner sized carry-on bag. Me, I'm leaning towards a backpack. I hear I can hang it inside the Roomette while the beds are deployed. We'll stow larger suitcases that we won't need access to during the ride.

Here's what I was thinking about.
I use a daypack about the same size as the Targus but with a single large compartment and no padding. My laptop has a sleeve that fits into it. In addition, I carry a birdwatcher's bag (supposed to hold binoculars, birdbook, water bottle, sunscreen, cell, sandwich, etc) slung over my shoulder when I move around the train. It holds all the electronics except laptop, including scanner, with extra batteries and memory cards but without chargers or cables to connect to laptop. I got the birdwatcher's bag at the zoo because I liked the print, before I discovered it was useful on trains.

I pack an empty canvas or nylon shopping bag in case I want to carry more (books, route notes, large notepad, milepost notes, charging stuff, laptop, ...)

The Targus has a good feature, straps for attaching other things, like a jacket or tripod. If they are not long enough for anything like that you might want external, suggest packing wire-ties or bungie cords.

Walt

Thanks, that must have been what I heard about hanging stuff up in a Roomette.

Alice

Nice idea with the bird watcher's bag, also the canvas bag. My wife often carries one for extras.

Would you recommend a pack without a laptop pouch over something like the Targus, and using a laptop sleeve? I wonder if that's a more efficient use of the backpack space...

Dennis

For what its worth, I've used an American Tourister rolling backpack and have been pretty happy with it on my last two Amtrak trips. I've been able to get a small laptop, two nights change of clothes, some snacks, and a water bottle on the side pocket. Unfortunately, my camera gear gets bigger and bigger and I now use a cannon camera backpack for that, but that can hold my camera gear, scanner, ipod, and GPS when I get one. :)

Dan

Backpack only. Roll up your clothes to fit easier with a plastic bag to keep dirty ones separate. Leave your computers behind and enyoy your freedom from everyday life, on the train. Spot

Would you recommend a pack without a laptop pouch over something like the Targus, and using a laptop sleeve? I wonder if that's a more efficient use of the backpack space...
Dennis
Packing is very personal!

I think it depends on what you are carrying and whether they fit the individual slots in the bag.

The advantage of many pockets is it is easier to get out the one thing you want without unloading the whole thing. The advantage of a single big pocket (with a couple smaller ones on the outside) is you get to decide where you want stuff without regard to their notion of how to pack. Then there are the bags with adjustable dividers secured by velcro! (I have a couple of car organizers with adjustable dividers and they work real well).

So, is there a pocket big enough for your camera and camcorder, and any other large pieces? Do you expect your camera bag to fit inside the backpack?

Are you going to leave the bag in your sleeper as you wander the train, or empty out non-essentials (clothes) and use it as a carry bag? Are you willing to always unload everything when you just want to grab fresh batteries from the bottom?

If you buy something new for the trip and it doesn't work out, is it going to ruin your trip, or are you the kind of guy where that just gives you another good story to tell? Is this a bag you've been considering for a while and you just need an excuse for your wife?

You get the idea! But definitely, some kind of hands-free carry system (ie backpack) is nice.

For what its worth, I've used an American Tourister rolling backpack and have been pretty happy with it on my last two Amtrak trips. I've been able to get a small laptop, two nights change of clothes, some snacks, and a water bottle on the side pocket. Unfortunately, my camera gear gets bigger and bigger and I now use a cannon camera backpack for that, but that can hold my camera gear, scanner, ipod, and GPS when I get one. :)
Dan
I like your ideas.

I'm having a little trouble nailing down exactly what a "American Tourister rolling backpack" is, as "rolling backpack" seems to be a generic term and I'm getting hits on a lot of different stuff. The American Tourister website doesn't list any by that description, but some of their soft rolling uprights look like what some websites refer to as a rolling backpack.

Could I trouble you for a model name or number?

Thanks.

Dennis

Backpack only. Roll up your clothes to fit easier with a plastic bag to keep dirty ones separate. Leave your computers behind and enyoy your freedom from everyday life, on the train. Spot
I get your drift Spot, but I'm afraid I'm taking all this anyway. :)

Packing is very personal!
I think it depends on what you are carrying and whether they fit the individual slots in the bag.

The advantage of many pockets is it is easier to get out the one thing you want without unloading the whole thing. The advantage of a single big pocket (with a couple smaller ones on the outside) is you get to decide where you want stuff without regard to their notion of how to pack. Then there are the bags with adjustable dividers secured by velcro! (I have a couple of car organizers with adjustable dividers and they work real well).

So, is there a pocket big enough for your camera and camcorder, and any other large pieces? Do you expect your camera bag to fit inside the backpack?

Are you going to leave the bag in your sleeper as you wander the train, or empty out non-essentials (clothes) and use it as a carry bag? Are you willing to always unload everything when you just want to grab fresh batteries from the bottom?

If you buy something new for the trip and it doesn't work out, is it going to ruin your trip, or are you the kind of guy where that just gives you another good story to tell? Is this a bag you've been considering for a while and you just need an excuse for your wife?

You get the idea! But definitely, some kind of hands-free carry system (ie backpack) is nice.
Ouch, you're making my head hurt! :blink:

Lots of good thoughts. Guess I'm the "good story to tell" guy; the wrong one won't ruin the trip, I'm going to enjoy this if it kills me. No excuse needed for the wife, she tolerates me pretty well (and I'm glad for that).

Most of this stuff won't fit compartments, so maybe a large undedicated space type is what I need.

I have an Eddie Bauer backpack that looks pretty similar to the Targus one you linked. I think I actually looked at the Targus but it cost a little more and the EB one was in an actual store so I could actually get my hands on it before buying, which I liked.

I went to New York and surrounding states for a couple weeks last summer and that backpack was my only bag most of the time. On the way back I had an auxiliary tote bag, but just for some overflow loose items I didn't feel like cramming in the backpack. I took my laptop, small digital camera, toiletries, minimal amount of clothing to get me by, and that's about it. I thought it was liberating to be able to carry all my luggage on my back and not stick out like a sore thumb by wheeling a huge suitcase around. It did get to be a little heavy walking around Valley Forge for a couple hours (I wrongly thought they'd have some place for me to stash my bag) but other than that it was no problem.

As for bringing my laptop with, I don't use it for work! I use it to chat, check personal e-mail, and plan my trip once I get to my hotel room. For me it's a pretty big part of my trip planning, as I don't like (and am too lazy) to map out every minute beforehand. Sure wish Amtrak would have Wi-Fi - I don't want to spend big money for the Sprint/Verizon internet plan.

Puck71

Thanks for your thoughts. I need to get someplace that has a decent selection, like you say getting your hands on one first is important.

Guess I'll have to head down to the mall (shudder).

For me, two or three smaller shoulder-strap bags. They let you carry things sorted, are easier to sling on and off your person, and stow easier. Also, backpacks are useless when they are on your back, unless you have a personal redcap to retrieve things from them while you are standing there.

Another problem.....they get in the way of other people (like me) in crowded situations like subways. But then again, I'm a grumpy old man! (LOL)

Last edited by a moderator:
I pack two bags:

A big, frameless rolling duffle-type:

1) Either a small, cheap sleeping bag I picked up, or an Amtrak blanket. This is for sleeping in coach.

2) 2 cheap, large pillows: I can't stand Amtrak pillows alone.

3) Clothing packed out to change personal stuff every day, and outer stuff every 2.

4) Medication/toiletries in outer pockets.

A soft, leather briefcase:

1) 2 Amtrak System Timetables

2) Audrey's diary

3) My Black 'n Red spiral polypropolene notebook (it contains all sorts of things- reservation information, scanner frequencies, recorded consists, etc)

4) my tiny black Moleskine which contains condensed information about everything imagineable.

5) A hard plastic Rotring pen case containing 3 cleaned-and-inked fountain pens- Hero 100, Pelikan 200 w/ Hebrew/Italic Richard Binder nib, and either my Sheaffer Lifetime Balance, or my Sheaffer Triumph Sentinel Snorkel.

6) my scanner.

For me, two or three smaller shoulder-strap bags. They let you carry things sorted, are easier to sling on and off your person, and stow easier. Also, backpacks are useless when they are on your back, unless you have a personal redcap to retrieve things from them while you are standing there.
Another problem.....they get in the way of other people (like me) in crowded situations like subways. But then again, I'm a grumpy old man! (LOL)
You have a point about backpacks not being (other) people friendly. I wasn't thinking about actually wearing it much. I'm also looking at duffel and shoulder style.

People, keep bringing on your preferences, I find it interesting.

This topic is so timely for me. I'm planning a trip on the EB from Chicago to Vancouver (Amtrak bus from Seattle to Vancouver). That's two nights each way. In Vancouver I'll be taking a ship for 7 nights. Total of 11 nights - with a 24" suitcase. Nobody thinks I can do this with such a small suitcase, so I'll probably have to take a tote bag along.

11 nights - 24" suitcase - is it possible? Any ideas, suggestions, etc.?

You don't say whether you're male or female, and maybe that matters? (LOL) Personally, I think it's very doable, especially if you have a separate smallish tote for footwear and shaving gear (if needed) Also, that's assuming you aren't taking formal dinner-wear for those ritzy on-board dinners at the Captain's table! (LOL)

I live in Vancouver and just know you're in for a great rail/sea voyage. I'm sorry you have to Ambus from SEA to Vancouver, but the once-a-day train is on a lousy schedule....leaves SEA too early in the morning because it's planned for day-trips out of Seattle.

Do spend some time in Vancouver if you can and if you haven't been there before. Dinner at the top of Grouse Mountain is unforgettable.

I'm really happy about the input on this thread, it's got me to rethinking what I should do.

The backpack is out. For carry-on toiletries and a change of clothes, a small field duffel such as this

CalPak Field Trip 22" Multi-Pocket Duffel Bag

For the laptop, cameras, GPS and other gadgetry, an

Engineer's Field Bag looks tempting.

I'd need a slip case to protect the laptop. I could load this up and head for the lounge car and be set.

I also liked this Guide Vest.

It could carry the GPS, scanner, video camera etc.

But it may be a bit much, the other passengers may expect me to pull out an elephant rifle.

I'm going to try and see anything I might buy firsthand, visualizing web presentations with my stuff crammed in is chancy.

Last edited by a moderator:

The backpack is out. For carry-on toiletries and a change of clothes, a small field duffel such as this

Well... you might check one thing further: we like Rick Steves' convertible luggage/backpack. You can carry it as a "normal" suitcase, if you wish, or you can pull out the attached straps and wear it on your back. It has useful outer pockets, a waist strap if you've really overpacked and need the support (!), and a zip-out expandable section. Look at www.ricksteves.com (and if I shouldn't have entered a commercial site's URL, forgive me, and remove it. In which case, just Google "rick steves". :p )

Well... you might check one thing further: we like Rick Steves' convertible luggage/backpack. You can carry it as a "normal" suitcase, if you wish, or you can pull out the attached straps and wear it on your back. It has useful outer pockets, a waist strap if you've really overpacked and need the support (!), and a zip-out expandable section. Look at www.ricksteves.com (and if I shouldn't have entered a commercial site's URL, forgive me, and remove it. In which case, just Google "rick steves". :p )
Yeah, I ran across that yesterday. If I remember right, it wasn't big enough for what I want to do. But thanks for noticing it.

I like Rick Steeves, his book took us thru Europe on a self guided trip. Good stuff.

For my trip around the Pacific Northwest last month, I used a backpack. But right after that, I bought a travel duffle bag, and that seems to be better. I haven't used it yet, but just for a trial run, I packed it with the things I take: clothing, shaving kit, small soft-sided cooler, books, Amtrak schedule, and books. And the next train trip I take, I'll have plenty of room for everything. I also have a small camera bag for my digital camera and camcorder, along with all the extras: cassette tapes, batteries, charger, etc. If need be, I can also fit that bag within the duffle bag. Now all I have to do is wait the 14 weeks till my next train trip (Champaign-Sacramento)!

For my trip around the Pacific Northwest last month, I used a backpack. But right after that, I bought a travel duffle bag, and that seems to be better. I haven't used it yet, but just for a trial run, I packed it with the things I take: clothing, shaving kit, small soft-sided cooler, books, Amtrak schedule, and books. And the next train trip I take, I'll have plenty of room for everything. I also have a small camera bag for my digital camera and camcorder, along with all the extras: cassette tapes, batteries, charger, etc. If need be, I can also fit that bag within the duffle bag. Now all I have to do is wait the 14 weeks till my next train trip (Champaign-Sacramento)!
That's about the time I'm taking mine, MTZ-SAC-CHI-WAS-NHV. Maybe we'll cross paths.

I'm liking the small duffel better and better.

My favorite is a duffle bag I got at the UCLA store. It is actually softsided insulated cooler, designed to hold a 12 pack.

It is just the right size and waterproof too.

The only problem I had on my last trip to NY was that the car attendent was from USC and he kept trying to throw my bag off the train.

Found out during the trip that we belong to the same organization, I won't say which one because you don't know the secret handshake, so I tipped him anyhow.

Is that Rick Steves bag included in the set they sell at Costco (or at Costco.com, anyway) here?

http://www.costco.com/Browse/ProductSet.as...topnav=&s=1

On the recommendation of gobs of FlyerTalkers, I bought the Kirkland Signature 22" rollaboard (or is it rollerboard--never figured that one out). I've only so far used it for two trips, but the thing is amazingly well-made and indestructible (FlyerTalkers who travel 100,000+ miles per year attest to that).

Something that converts into a backpack would be nice on occasion, too, though.

When I did my week-long East Coast trip last August, since I was going to be spending the first three days on trains and walking around cities without a car trunk to store my luggage in, I took my full-size Kelty hiking backpack. Worked great. The 22" rollaboard is much easier to handle for trips where you won't be taking extended walks without a place to store your bags, though (I use it for clothes, toiletries, and things I might pick up along the trip and use my Brenthaven laptop backpack for the computer, accessories, and light reading material--I learned long ago not to weigh the backpack down with heavy books and magazines when transiting through large airports).

I travel with my grandpa's vintage 1938 brown leather suitcase. It has train stickers from his Navy transit days to Chicago....I find that it fits perfectly into the overhead in coach or in the roomette....plus its so dang cool because it was built for looks and built to last. It gets alot of compliments whenever I take it around.

Hardsides means nothing gets broken.....even when some jerk bumps into me and the case goes flying down the platform.

MStrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back