Favorite Amtrak Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guest_Joe

What is your favorite CURRENT Amtrak route? Mine personally is the Sunset, being that it's the longest route Amtrak has. No other route comes close. Well, perhaps the Zephyr, but I don't know if 2400 vs. 2700 is considered close.

The length of a route will not always equate to it being favourite. I have been on the Zephyr in both directions, and the scenery is outstanding, which makes it my current favourite. I did enjoy the Sunset too, but I have only traveled from west to east on this train. I find the mix of fellow passengers, the staff, my mood, and even the weather all influence my enjoyment of each trip. I am looking forward to the Empire builder, and the Starlight, as well as the southwest Chief on my next Amtrak adventure!

Ed. B)

The crescent between New York and New Orleans.Great train with great sceanery. Going north on train 20 the Virginia countryside is beautiful and heading south on train 19 you get a lot of pretty countryside to enjoy between toccoa and New Orleans.The high tressle near Toccoa is a neat crossing and there is a long tunnel between Anniston and Birmingham the crescent passes through and lots of little towns and big cities all along the route.My second favorite train is the Empire Builder because it runs to my favorite hotel in Montana the Izaak Walton Inn.Oh! i cant leave out the cardinal because of it running through the new river gorge in West Virginia .Wished the Cardinal would operate daily and get its superliners back.They could use the Portland section of the Empire Builder as a run through Cardinal.The builder usually is close to being on time into chicago and it wouldnt take long to service the 4 or 5 superliners for their trip east.Only disadvantage of using superliners is the cardinal would have to terminate its trip in Washington instead of NY.

Aloha

I should answer The train I am on, but that not what you wanted, So then I say the Coast Starlight.

While I have ridden the Zephyr more often, the Southwest Chief has always been my favorite train. It's the train I took my honeymoon on. I have always been partial to the southern rockies. Besides, I grew up along the AT&SF RY.

The Crescent - especially when it returns to New Orleans; the Empire Builder going through Montana and the Auto Train, just for the pleasure of being on a First Class operation.

Back