"Farewell Tour" Planning

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amtrak706

Service Attendant
Hi all,

I am finally finishing my plan for a "farewell tour" of some of the LD network this year. I have never ridden any of the Western trains and I want to do so before anything happens to the network. Provided I can get a few days off before and after a weekend, this is the itinerary I have whittled down:

2150 Acela Express NYP-BOS (BC)

449 Lake Shore Limited BOS-CHI (BC)

3 Southwest Chief CHI-LAX (Roomette)

14 Coast Starlight LAX-EMY (BC)

6 California Zephyr EMY-CHI (Roomette)

50 Cardinal CHI-WAS (BC)

66 Northeast Regional WAS-NYP (Coach)

All connections are same-day except obviously 14 to 6, where I would be staying with family overnight in SF. I have looked up the connection history on ASMAD for all the same-day connections, and the missed connection rate is actually pretty low (between 10% and 15% for the worst ones) although I know it could still happen. If so, it would be a bit of an issue as this trip is so closely packed together.

Any tips, tricks, or advice?

Sounds like a fun trip. My only suggestion would be to make the switch from 14 to 6 in Sacramento to allow spending the day at its wonderful railroad museum... https://www.californiarailroad.museum/ ...and overnight there in the Vagabond Hotel, located essentially between the station and the museum - both are easy walks. But I've no family in San Francisco to put me up (or put up with me, for that matter
default_tongue.png
).

Sounds like a fun trip. My only suggestion would be to make the switch from 14 to 6 in Sacramento to allow spending the day at its wonderful railroad museum... https://www.californiarailroad.museum/ ...and overnight there in the Vagabond Hotel, located essentially between the station and the museum - both are easy walks. But I've no family in San Francisco to put me up (or put up with me, for that matter
default_tongue.png
).
I would definitely do this if I weren't able to stay with family in SF. I have been up there actually, and the museum itself is very nice but they seem to have most of the interesting pieces of their collection stored out of sight somewhere.

My main objective on this trip is to ride trains I haven't ridden before and that I may not be able to ride again. I honestly won't have time to get out and explore, unfortunately. The only connection that isn't same-day and a matter of hours is 14 to 6 and I've been all around SF before.

Anyone have experience in the 2x1 Amfleet I Cafe Business Class on the Cardinal/LSL? Anyone have stories (good or bad) about the connections I am making? Anything in that realm would be good to hear.

Took the business class on the LSL Sunday July 1st from Albany NY to Chicago and would recommend it if price is not an issue. You don't have access to the new sleeper lounge but being right next to the cafe is a nice advantage.

Train was about 2 hours late at Albany and we arrived the same 2 hours late at Chicago so you would have made the connection. Hope you are able to carry out your plans. Looks like a fun trip.

I see you would choose to go to Boston but for others I took the Ethan Allen Express from Grand Central to connect. There was a notice on the station information boards saying Amtrak tracks would be posted on the Hudson line departure board 20 minutes prior to departure which proved correct. Didn't see any Amtrak customer service staff but the MTA information booth seemed to be answering people's questions. Lastly Grand Central is great, but there doesn't seem to be any place to sit down and wait except the stairs or the food court unless I missed it.

Anyone have experience in the 2x1 Amfleet I Cafe Business Class on the Cardinal/LSL? Anyone have stories (good or bad) about the connections I am making? Anything in that realm would be good to hear.
Perhaps the biggest drawback to the 2x1 BC seating is the 'gap' between the seats and the sidewall. On the '2' side, it's a little wider than 'regular' Amfleet coach seats. On the '1' side, it's a good 3" or more. Maybe closer to 4". When trying to sleep or even doze, I like to stuff something between the armrest and sidewall to 'support' me. I've used inflatable pillows found on Amazon that seem to work reasonably well. I forget the brand name, but the inflatable pillows that come with builtin blanket, sleep mask and ear plugs works very well, inflating the pillow by mouth and using the smallish blanket to keep warm. Alternatively, leave the blanket used as 'stuffing' without inflating the pillow for a 'firm' pillow.

Of note is that the connection from #6 to #50 can be 'iffy', especially during the summer months account track maintenance season and these days, fires out west. Several years ago, I was booked on the same connection but due to a rock slide in Colorado, we were 4-5 hours late. They got the connecting passengers to the Cardinal off at Galesburg and we were bused to Indianapolis to meet it there. The bus stopped at an exit with multiple fast-food places for dinner and we were on our own for 45 minutes or so at our own cost.

. Lastly Grand Central is great, but there doesn't seem to be any place to sit down and wait except the stairs or the food court unless I missed it.
There is a small waiting room for ticketed passenger's ( I assume that would include Amtrak), next to the Stationmaster's office...

Took it once several years ago from Buffalo Exchange to NYP. Really liked it. I'd take a roomette over it any day, but if that doesn't fit your budget, BC in the split car is definitely a solid step up from coach.

Last edited by a moderator:
"There is a small waiting room for ticketed passenger's ( I assume that would include Amtrak), next to the Stationmaster's office..."

Thanks for the info. I will look for that next time

. Lastly Grand Central is great, but there doesn't seem to be any place to sit down and wait except the stairs or the food court unless I missed it.
There is a small waiting room for ticketed passenger's ( I assume that would include Amtrak), next to the Stationmaster's office...
It does include Amtrak. Nothing like ClubAcela or even the main NYP passenger waiting area, but it's satisfactory.

It does include Amtrak. Nothing like ClubAcela or even the main NYP passenger waiting area, but it's satisfactory.
If you have a lot of time to spend, you can also go into the connected via passageway, Grand Hyatt, and relax in their comfortable lobby seats. As long as you don't fall asleep, they won't bother you there. They also have very nice restrooms, up on the meeting room floor....
default_wink.png

Perhaps the biggest drawback to the 2x1 BC seating...
Took it once several years ago from Buffalo Exchange to NYP. Really liked it. I'd take a roomette over it any day, but if that doesn't fit your budget, BC in the split car is definitely a solid step up from coach.
Thanks for the info, this stuff is good to hear. Does anyone know if the BC section of the car is usually facing the sleepers (on either train)? I would hope so, as it would be kind of rough to have everyone sliding through constantly on their way to the cafe car. And at night, does the cafe section keep people awake in BC with too much light?
As for the Grand Central thing, I appreciate the help but I am a lifelong New Yorker and I am well acquainted with GCT. The reason I might route myself through Boston is that I have ridden the LSL several times but never the Boston section east of Albany. Also I have not yet been on the Acela in its 150 zone, and the price was right so I figured it would be an added bonus.

Does anyone know if the BC section of the car is usually facing the sleepers (on either train)? I would hope so, as it would be kind of rough to have everyone sliding through constantly on their way to the cafe car.
With the normal consist when the train is operating to both Boston and New York, the BC section is facing the Boston sleeper. With the current consist, I'm not sure, though I would imagine it will be facing the sleeper lounge.

Glad to see that someone has already written off the LD trains...
default_angry.png
Written off? Have you ever heard of the expression “plan for the worst, hope for the best?” I just want to ride them before it’s too late. I hope everything turns out fine but you must admit it’s not exactly far fetched given the current climate to start getting a bucket list plan ready just in case. If the LD trains live a long fruitful life for years to come then I will still have taken a very enjoyable trip.

default_tongue.png
).

I just got back. The museum was fantastic.

Form the outside, the hotel looks like it is one of those hotels to avoid. But it really is a great hotel. Rooms are clean, beds comfortable and staff super friendly and helpful.

It is great hotel that needs a major upgrade.

My only complaint, except for Old Town, there really are not restaurants or stores nearby.

Be sure to ask for a room "in the back". A lot quieter back there.

Be careful with those same-day connections. If you’re late on one train, that could screw your whole itinerary. I would recommend a day’s gap between trains to allow for some exploration and to guarantee your connection.

I also recommend taking the Starlight to Seattle and then taking the Builder to Chicago. It’s a beautiful ride.

I also recommend taking the Starlight to Seattle and then taking the Builder to Chicago. It’s a beautiful ride.
I honestly would stick with the Starlight to Emeryville and then the Zephyr. In my opinion, San Francisco is a more enjoyable city than Seattle, and I agree with many that the Zephyr takes the cake over the Builder when it comes to scenery.

I also recommend taking the Starlight to Seattle and then taking the Builder to Chicago. Its a beautiful ride.
I honestly would stick with the Starlight to Emeryville and then the Zephyr. In my opinion, San Francisco is a more enjoyable city than Seattle, and I agree with many that the Zephyr takes the cake over the Builder when it comes to scenery.
Yeah I am thinking of planning it to spend a day in SF in case my LSL is late into Chicago and I have to take the next days Chief. I might also wait for the next days Cardinal in Chicago.
I would love to experience either train but I chose the Zephyr because it allows me to stop in San Francisco to see family, and also it is massively cheaper (like half the price) for a roomette.

Getting close to booking this - thanks for the replies so far everyone. Hopefully I will be able to AmSnag a bunch of low fare buckets.

I would love to experience either train but I chose the Zephyr because it allows me to stop in San Francisco to see family, and also it is massively cheaper (like half the price) for a roomette.
I support your decision, but I would note that the low bucket roomettes for the EB vs the CZ are pretty comparable. In case you end up considering the EB, you might as well be on the look out for one.

FWIW, low bucket Roomettes on the EB and CZ are $260 and $314, respectively, at the present time.
You do have to take into account the cost of taking the CS all the way up to SEA instead of EMY. That going to come out to quite a bit more than $54.

Just booked it. For the time period I am able to take this trip, the prices for the CZ were substantially lower than the Builder, but that is good to know for the future that the buckets can get that low. I made a couple minor changes:

190 Northeast Regional NYP-BOS (Coach)

449 Lake Shore Limited BOS-CHI (BC)

3 Southwest Chief CHI-LAX (Roomette)

14 Coast Starlight LAX-EMY (Coach)

6 California Zephyr EMY-CHI (Roomette)

50 Cardinal CHI-WAS (BC)

90 Palmetto WAS-NYP (Coach)

Now the same-day connections are 190 to 449, 449 to 3, 3 to 14, and 50 to 90. There is a two day layover in SF to spend time with family and in case something happens with the three same-day connections on the way there. I am spending a night in Chicago between 6 and 50.

Thanks again for the advice. I have a couple questions now: I decided to go for coach on the Starlight seeing as it is a day trip, but if I feel compelled to switch to BC will they let me do it on the train? And would the price for the upgrade be comparable to the price difference when booking online?

Thanks again for the advice. I have a couple questions now: I decided to go for coach on the Starlight seeing as it is a day trip, but if I feel compelled to switch to BC will they let me do it on the train? And would the price for the upgrade be comparable to the price difference when booking online?
If you upgrade onboard, the price difference will be whatever it is online. In most cases when you upgrade onboard, they'll actually have you call USA-RAIl and change your ticket through an agent, rather than through the conductor. In other words, if you think that you're going to want BC (which I honestly wouldn't recommend anyway) do it before departure. Sometimes the price will drop substantially around a week from departure, so you might want to keep a look out for that, but I would strongly discourage doing a last minute or onboard upgrade.

I had a nightmare one time trying to upgrade a coach seat to BC on the Starlight SJC-LAX. The conductor had me call the 800 number, the agent on the phone needed the conductor to do something (lift my ticket?) and I couldn't find the conductor before I lost cell service. In the end I stayed in coach. This was within 6 months of BC launching on the Starlight so perhaps they were still getting used to the system. Just a word of warning if you hope to upgrade onboard.

Back