Family Bedroom

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RailFanLNK

Conductor
We have a family bedroom reserved for the CZ on Labor Day weekend. My girlfriend and I and her two kids will be occupying it. I have slept in a roomette and deluxe bedroom but never been in the family bedroom. How much if any room is there for our luggage which will probably be strictly carryon bags? I know the the luggage rack is just down the hall from our door but was wondering how much room there is when the beds are down and ready for us when we board at 1am. Thanks!

We have a family bedroom reserved for the CZ on Labor Day weekend. My girlfriend and I and her two kids will be occupying it. I have slept in a roomette and deluxe bedroom but never been in the family bedroom. How much if any room is there for our luggage which will probably be strictly carryon bags? I know the the luggage rack is just down the hall from our door but was wondering how much room there is when the beds are down and ready for us when we board at 1am. Thanks!
Not too much, once the beds are down. There is a small closet, but it won't take much more than a garment bag. Otherwise, once the beds are down and the ladder is in place, I'd say that there is about enough space for maybe two skinny people to stand in the room. So unless your bags will fit under the seats/lower beds, you may well find yourselves leaving the bags outside in the luggage rack. You might also be able to fit a few in front of the adult bed, towards the window, but that assumes that the bags aren't too thick in width.

Last edited by a moderator:
We had our first family bedroom trips in April on the EB and CS.

I think that the closet had less room in it than the deluxe bedroom did. There is some room under the beds (under the window seat bed is where we kept my son's small bag) but it is minimal. There is also a hook by the door. We found that the closet was good for hanging a couple of jackets and that was about it, and there is a very small shelf at the top of the closet, okay for a tiny toiletries bag. We had our suitcase on the rack outside. In our room we had a backpack hanging on the hook, under the beds we had 2 small carry ons that were really flat and held a few valuables. Pack light! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to get too personal, but if you & your lady will be sleeping together on the large lower berth (same size as the lower in deluxe), then you could put one of the kids in the upper above you & the other in the small lower berth. That would leave the small upper berth for your luggage.

The layout of the Family Bedroom is awful. Very narrow, not much room, small windows. Luggage, not that the Roomettes have alot, but the Familys does not seem to have much more.

I might check out getting two Roomettes. You can book across the hall. We did that and it was great.

The layout of the Family Bedroom is awful. Very narrow, not much room, small windows. Luggage, not that the Roomettes have alot, but the Familys does not seem to have much more.
I might check out getting two Roomettes. You can book across the hall. We did that and it was great.
Many families do this and it works out great for them. Not so great for the other passengers that are neighbors. On one segment of our trip this summer, the next two sleepettes in front of us had two different families(with kids) doing this. They of course kept their doors open and loudly conversed back and forth late into the night. :angry: On this same trip I had spent one night in coach that was quieter than that night.I'm not suggesting you were like these people davyb99, just pointing out what I experienced with families in

two sleepette's....

I've done the family bedroom and yes it can be small once the beds are all down. But during the day, it's a great room for a family. :)

As for the windows, techinically they are the same size as every other window in the sleeping car. What is different is the fact that all other rooms have two windows side by side with only a thin frame in between the two windows. This give one more depth when looking ahead down the tracks.

On the other hand, the family bedroom still does get two windows just like every other room in the car. What is unique however, is that the windows are on opposite sides of the train. This allows one to look out either side of the train very easily, something that only the family room and the handicapped room offer. Yes if one leaves the curtain open, one can see out the other side of the train when in a bedroom, by looking across the hall. But one does sacrifice privacy to do that. In the roomettes, one must hope that one's neighbor doesn't close their curtain if you want to see out the other side.

But in any event, the family bedroom has just as much window area as any other room in the car. It's just arranged differently.

Many families do this and it works out great for them. Not so great for the other passengers that are neighbors. On one segment of our trip this summer, the next two sleepettes in front of us had two different families(with kids) doing this. They of course kept their doors open and loudly conversed back and forth late into the night. :angry: On this same trip I had spent one night in coach that was quieter than that night.I'm not suggesting you were like these people davyb99, just pointing out what I experienced with families in

two sleepette's....
Well that's just rude. :angry: Common sense would have suggested that they stop talking like that after 10:00 pm.

As for the windows, techinically they are the same size as every other window in the sleeping car. What is different is the fact that all other rooms have two windows side by side with only a thin frame in between the two windows. This give one more depth when looking ahead down the tracks.

On the other hand, the family bedroom still does get two windows just like every other room in the car.

Sorry, that was my point. Two windows, one each side of the car. Both individually smaller than the double window in the Roomette or Bedroom.

check out the virtual tours at amtrak.com under Travel With Amtrak

Yeah 1702, don't worry about "being too personel", we already know that we won't be joining the "79 MPH Club" on this trip since we are in a Family Bedroom! :lol: "No AmNookie For You!!! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back