Fall Colors aboard the CZ

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

My partner and I are flying into Grand Junction, CO and taking the CZ over to Denver on Saturday, 9/29/12. We hope to see some fall colors and enjoy being on the train.

Can anyone provide any tips or insights for us for this journey? Anyone taken this segment in the fall before?

(Mods: Feel free to move this post if it is in the wrong forum).

Thanks,

Greg

Hi,

My partner and I are flying into Grand Junction, CO and taking the CZ over to Denver on Saturday, 9/29/12. We hope to see some fall colors and enjoy being on the train.

Can anyone provide any tips or insights for us for this journey? Anyone taken this segment in the fall before?

Thanks,

Greg
I say just relax and enjoy the trip. And eat some cake because it will be my 16th birthday!

Hi,

Thanks,

Greg
I say just relax and enjoy the trip. And eat some cake because it will be my 16th birthday!

I will definitely have some cake in celebration of your B'day. (BTW, I admire and celebrate your passion for trains/Amtak. Any plans or aspirations to work for a RR?)

Tip #1...Get seated in the Sightseer lounge as soon as possible...
cool.gif

Tip #2...Be sure and watch for the "Mooners" along the river...
mosking.gif

Tip #3...Nothing is finer than dinner in the Diner...
wub.gif

First, thank you. I love Amtrak and railroads and all that, and I would definitely be content there. But my true passion is urban/regional planning, or planning communities smarter for the future. Cal Berkeley has an amazing program for that line of work and that is where I would love to go.

Second, addressing Tumbleweed's post, I agree with it all, but from a factual standpoint, I doubt there will be any mooners a few days before October. The rafting tapers off at the end of August or somewhere around there, I would think.

There's a chance he'll be mooned by locals if the weather is still good. We traveled the same route in late September last year and there were plenty of "full moons" to be seen, haha.

Greginphx - The Autumn colors should be spectacular for you and you'll be traveling through land that is accessible only by rail. The 3 canyons you'll encounter are breathtaking. I can't remeber which side Byers (right?) is on but Gore will be on your right, and Glenwood on your left. Not sure what your itinerary looks like but be forewarned there cab service in GJT is spotty at best. Make sure you have ample time to get where you need to be. The wife and I almost missed the train after dropping off our rental car at the airport. We figured an hour to travel 5 miles was sufficient but the cab we called for never arrived after 40 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back