"Extreme Trains" TV show on Acela

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe now it is; it didn't seem to be when I've compared them. When I rode unreserved in 2000 (the one time I've done it), my knees were pressed against the seat in front of me. When I've ridden reserved, I've had about 8 inches of free space in front of me.
Either that, or it's a difference between train types or service. The time I rode unreserved was on a 100 series Kodama train. I've ridden reserved on 300 and 700 series Nozomi trains. I could see Nozomi being treated more like a long-distance trains, with Kodama service being configured more for commuters.
I've never been to Japan, but I sat in the Shinkansen at the Railway Museum in York (UK). I think my knees were pretty much up against the seatback in front of me.

As much as he likes to compare steam to diesel, I'm surprised he didn't talk about the DD40 "helper" and at least explain why is was there for the pedestrian viewer who might otherwise be confused. At least we got a quick walk through of some of the cars. I understand UP bends over backwards to make sure that fleet is PERFECT inside and out.
And the yellow tender originally ran with steam before being converted to a tender for one of the Gas Turbines.
I watched the 844 steam episode last night on DVR. I really enjoyed it. I guess I'm getting used to the host's exhuberance. This time they stayed on topic the whole time. There was continuity to the show.

I saw the DD40 deisel helper. Is this a normal UP engine? It looked much bigger (longer) than the ones I have seen in the past on regular freight routes.

Funny, the "steam" episode is the only one so far where they didn't visit Steam Town. :blink: Go figure.

As much as he likes to compare steam to diesel, I'm surprised he didn't talk about the DD40 "helper" and at least explain why is was there for the pedestrian viewer who might otherwise be confused. At least we got a quick walk through of some of the cars. I understand UP bends over backwards to make sure that fleet is PERFECT inside and out.
And the yellow tender originally ran with steam before being converted to a tender for one of the Gas Turbines.
I watched the 844 steam episode last night on DVR. I really enjoyed it. I guess I'm getting used to the host's exhuberance. This time they stayed on topic the whole time. There was continuity to the show.

I saw the DD40 deisel helper. Is this a normal UP engine? It looked much bigger (longer) than the ones I have seen in the past on regular freight routes.

Funny, the "steam" episode is the only one so far where they didn't visit Steam Town. :blink: Go figure.
The UP 6936 is the only Centennial still maintained. IIRC it is a the largest diesel/electric in the world.

I didn't see the episode (yet), but I was just going to ask that very question. Even the AE episode went to Steam Town, but a steam train episode did not? :huh:
Nope. Its hard to believe they were going to make two steam train episodes... so whats amazing is that this means Steam Town shots were intended to be filler from the start!

Although I must concede... this is the most extreme train yet. I mean, it takes a whole lot of work to keep her running and that is nothing short of amazing..

Although I must concede... this is the most extreme train yet. I mean, it takes a whole lot of work to keep her running and that is nothing short of amazing..
I agree. All of the episodes up until this were on 'normal' everyday runs. This was special because it isn't something you can just see any old time. Does that make it 'extreme' (an overused term)? Compared to the others they have looked at, yes, just based on the effort alone.

Of course I am assuming 'extreme' to be synonymous with "intersting", "unique", and "rail fan worthy". :rolleyes: Showing the (automobile) cars chasing the 884 up I-25 is proof.

Just to back up to the Centennial thing real quick. The Centennials were massive engines that were tried as an experiment. They're basically two GP40's on one car body. This explains the small gap halfway down the long hood. The theory was that there would be less maintenance to be done on one big engine than there would be on two smaller engines. The issues cropped up when one would die on the road, leaving the train without a large amount of horsepower. Like most high horsepower experiments the idea didn't take off, and not too many were produced.

The UP 6936 is the only Centennial still maintained. IIRC it is a the largest diesel/electric in the world.
I believe you are correct about the 6936 being the largest engine at least in North America, if not the world. It almost went to the scrap heap about 10 years ago. We were sitting in the depot in Donaldsonville, LA and we watched a business car special being pulled by the 6936, headed to New Orleans, go by us. Not ten minutes later we hear all sorts of radio traffic coming from St. James, LA A sugar cane mill dump truck was crossing the track and didn't beat the biz train. Unfortunately, an official wanted to be on the head end and ride over the Huey P. Long on the engine. He was thrown into the nose of the engine and died from the mud the truck was carrying to dump in a field on th opposite side of the tracks. IIRC, he was in his early 40's. The 6936 was towed to Little Rock and the decision was made to save it although it really looked awful.

I watched the 844 episode today. It was interesting and informative.

I also watch the Trains & Locomotives show on the RFD Channel.

It is broadcast on Monday at 6:00pm, EST.

I also watch the Trains & Locomotives show on the RFD Channel.It is broadcast on Monday at 6:00pm, EST.
I had thought of mentioning this also. It is on Saturday mornings at 9 as well. I watched it last Saturday for the first time in a while and it has gotten better. RFD is channel 231 on Dish Network FYI.

MY SISTER is on TONIGHTS Extreme train show the Seattle to Chicago Run. She'll be the tall red headed beauty!! I CAN"T WAIT!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back