Extending route from one "Discharge only" stop to another?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackshirt Husker

Service Attendant
So I booked a trip on the Zephyr, originally planning to get off in Sacramento. I got a good deal on the price of a sleeper, and the fare immediately went to the highest bucket after I purchased.

However, my plans later changed. Now, instead of getting off in Sacramento, it would actually be ideal to extend the trip all the way to Emeryville and detrain there instead. The problem is, both Sacramento and Emeryville are "Discharge Only" stops on the Westbound Zephyr, and Amtrak doesn't want commuters to buy tickets on LD trains just to go back and forth between those stops. When I called to change the booking, the agent told me that the system wouldn't allow the change without canceling the reservation and rebooking at the higher fare. I even tried the infamous "call back and talk to another agent" trick--no go.

Now, it's not the end of the world if I have to get off in Sacramento--I can just catch the Capitol Corridor about an hour later--but it would definitely be more convenient to pay the extra money and just stay on the Zephyr all the way through. I know I'm probably out of luck on this one, but...have any of you ever had a similar ticketing situation that you managed to resolve successfully?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dwight,

Look at the cost of buying a ticket from Roseville, CA to Emeryville on the CZ.. Yes, you'll have a bit of an overlap, since technically you'll be paying for Roseville to SAC twice. But if the price isn't too much higher for the date you want, it might be worth the penalty to remain on the train.

The agent is however correct, to change the destination on the current sleeper, he/she must release that room. Once they do that, unless that drops the bucket back down one level, you'll be stuck with the higher price for the entire trip. Probably not worth the risk.

Especially when you can consider the Roseville option or the Capitol Corridor option.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did that same thing this past month. If you book the coach ticket from Roseville you will have a valid ticket for the train and will be fine. I'd just let your SCA know the arrangement so they can be aware. In my case they told me that it was silly to switch to coach and just let me stay in the sleeper all the way to Emeryville. In my case, the coach fare was still at the low bucket fare so I just took that option and booked a coach ticket from RSV to EMY. I can't guarantee they will let you stay in the sleeper but they thought it made more sense since no one else would be using it and I kept it very clean. I made sure to tip for the courtesy and service at the end of the trip.

If you are looking to collect AGR points that is another story in itself as the overlap was quite a hassle for them to figure out when working on assigning the points to the trips. If this is just a regular trip and points are of no issue than the overlap will not be an issue.

Ironically, in my case, the conductor never bothered to scan either ticket and when I asked him he said they should be entered already. The next morning I had an e-voucher waiting in my email for the coach portion from RSV to EMY as I was still in the sleeper car they assumed my coach portion was a no-show. I did call to correct this as I did take the trip but it was interesting how that all worked out.

Since the Zephyr can often arrive into Sacramento about an hour early at times staying on that train is the easier option if you don't mind the overlap in the ticket IMO.

Wow--this is exactly the solution I was looking for (and never would have thought of). Thanks to you both--much appreciated!

Hmm. I did exactly that, extending the CZ from SAC to EMY, two years ago and the agent kept the same sleeper bucket fare for me. Charged me an extra $11 if I recall correctly. I wonder if it's again something that can perfectly well be done if the agent is willing to make the effort. And, as has been said before, dealing with an agent in person, at a station, at a time when they're not busy, can pay off handsomely.

However, my plans later changed. Now, instead of getting off in Sacramento, it would actually be ideal to extend the trip all the way to Emeryville and detrain there instead. The problem is, both Sacramento and Emeryville are "Discharge Only" stops on the Westbound Zephyr, and Amtrak doesn't want commuters to buy tickets on LD trains just to go back and forth between those stops. When I called to change the booking, the agent told me that the system wouldn't allow the change without canceling the reservation and rebooking at the higher fare. I even tried the infamous "call back and talk to another agent" trick--no go.
Emeryville is the end of the line, so it's technically not a discharge only stop. You can book Emeryville to Sacramento and the lowest bucket is the same price as CC. I in fact thought of doing that for a day trip to Old Sacramento. I was hoping I might be able to get breakfast in the dining car, but at the station they have a sign warning that they don't serve breakfast the morning of departure. Besides that, CC is a special route for AGR.

Of course the way to handle this is to discuss it with the conductor. Worst case scenario is you get off at Sacramento and wait for CC.

Emeryville is the end of the line, so it's technically not a discharge only stop. You can book Emeryville to Sacramento and the lowest bucket is the same price as CC.
First, the OP wants to add SAC to EMY, not EMY to SAC. Going from Emeryville to Sacramento on the Zephyr is easily done. It's the reverse

that's not possible (under the normal booking engine). It doesn't matter that Emeryville is or is not a discharge only stop...it only matters that SAC is

a discharge only stop on the westbound Zephyr.

Emeryville is the end of the line, so it's technically not a discharge only stop. You can book Emeryville to Sacramento and the lowest bucket is the same price as CC.
First, the OP wants to add SAC to EMY, not EMY to SAC. Going from Emeryville to Sacramento on the Zephyr is easily done. It's the reverse

that's not possible (under the normal booking engine). It doesn't matter that Emeryville is or is not a discharge only stop...it only matters that SAC is

a discharge only stop on the westbound Zephyr.
I understood the original situation. I was just saying it's not technically a discharge only stop since it's the end of the line. I've got the schedule in front of me and no D.

It would actually be possible to book half of the CZ route for a commute. Even if one could book the Sac to Emeryville segment, the on time performance would seem to be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back