Experiences on The Adirondak please

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skyguy

Train Attendant
Hello all:

We are planning a trip from Montreal to NYC in June. I'm looking for notes, feedback and general observations on your Adirondak experience. We plan on taking business class.

Skyguy

In addition to what you get here, you might possibly find some good info with a search for "Adirondak" on YouTube.

The Adirondack is a very beautiful train ride. Much of the route between Albany and Montreal is single-track. The route skirts the shores of Lake Champlain, and travels through the Adirondack region of New York State. Since you're traveling the entire route from Montreal to NYC, you will most likely be seated in one of the Amfleet 2 coaches, which have leg rests and more legroom. There is also a lounge car with tables and a snack bar. Be prepared for delays; especially during customs inspection at the U.S.-Canadian border. It is a rather long ride; averaging about 12 hours, but the scenery and amenities onboard make it more enjoyable. You will love the Adirondack!

Nice trip! You'll want a seat on the Left side as you ride along the Lake, however the Hudson is on the right side on the way from Albany to NYP! If the train isn't sold out you maybe can have both, but if forced to pick I'd choose the Left side for Lake Champlain!

The cafe food on the train isn't anything to write home about, so Id say take some food (including snacks) and drinks with you for the long journey!

The tracks are very rough North of the Border ( Customs and Immigration is done on tbe train @ the Border) so you'll have slow orders all the way from Montreal to the Bordee, hopefully it will be light enough with the time change to see the entry into New York as the train cruises down the Hudson.

Edited to reflect the correct direction of travel from MTL-NYP! Thanks jis!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all for your comments. We've done the EB before and were on the correct side of the train for the Hudson so if we cannot change seats, we'll be fine. In general, the Adirondack appears to be similar to the Cascades so I don't expect too many surprises. I'll keep checkin this forum for any future notes.

Ta to all....

Drop dead gorgeous scenery, that is harder to enjoy than it should be, for lack of SSL, Dome, or anything other than Amfleet crap with tiny windows.

AmFood is all you'll get, so stock up in Montreal perhaps with a baguette and your favorite cheeses, and Charcuterie. (and a contraband bottle of vino, if you dare)

(correction) My trip to NYC was on the LSL via the EB.

Poo on the no dome car thing. I wasn't expecting one until I saw some You Tube videos. Notwithstanding that, it will be an excellent ride,

I believe that the Ocean View, Amtrak's full-length dome, does run on the Adirondack in the fall foliage season, correct?

My honest opinion: yuck. I did not ride the train all the way to Canada. Did not enjoy, would not bother. The Lake Champlain portion is undeniably pretty. You spend a lot of time in Hudson Valley, though, and I was meh about it. Only good thing about it was getting off to take the ferry to Burlington, VT.

I realize everyone has their own opinion about it--that's mine--and if the Vermonter ever goes to Montreal I would really recommend that route because it is one pleasant train ride. (I also enjoy the quaint VT scenery but again that is not everyone's bag.)

Yeah, I think the scenery on the Vermonter is relatively meh compared to the one on the Adirondack. I would not take the Vermonter just for the scenery. I'd take it if I needed to get to Vermont for some other reason. :)

In the summer of 1985, I took the Montrealer from NYP to Montreal. It was the Friday night before a long weekend and the piano bar car was hoppin! After a few drinks, I had no problem going to sleep in my roommette. I had a late breakfast next morning before arrival in Montreal. After 2 days, I headed back south to NYP on the Adirondack. Beautiful scenery but no business class. I haved traveled from Essex Jct to NYP on the Vermonter, but scenery is not as.nice as the Adirondack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back