Excited for my trip from BOS to PDX!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy

Train Attendant
Hello rail fans!

I am absolutely stoked about a trip I am making with my girlfriend to PDX this Thursday. Leaving from BOS on the Lake Shore Limited to CHI and then the Empire Builder to PDX. This was probably 9 months in anticipation. My girlfriend was at first a bit sceptical of travelling across the country so "slowly" but I convinced her that the journey is part of the holiday experience, especially the views we'll be seeing of Glacier National Park (so long as we're not delayed and it's still light). So it took a bit to actually get her excited but thankfully we'll have a roomette on the LSL and a bedroom on the EB. And, since Amtrak has put nutritional info online recently I was able to discover that there are a few gluten-free options for her since she has a gluten allergy.

We're actually getting engaged tomorrow so this will be a little engagement celebration trip. :)

Questions: Do they have timetables on the respective train or must I get one at the station prior to boarding? Also, on our (hopefully) 4.5 hour layover in CHI, if I recall, the Metropolitan Lounge can hold our carry-on bags, right? And the bags we checked in Boston will continue by itself onto Portland, no?

Thanks!

Andy

Congrats on the engagement!

Yes, you can leave your carry-ins in the baggage room in the ML. There will be someone there to "check" them in & out.

I believe the checked luggage will go from BOS to PDX without you needing to do anything in CHI.

Enjoy the trip!

Seems the LSL has been averaging 1-2 hours late into CHI. Why is this? I would have thought they had enough padding in the schedule.

Recently I know there has been slow requirements because of the excessive heat and I believe there is track work also. I take the LSL from WOR and really enjoy the berkshires and most of the Empire Builder trip, ESPECIALLY in the Glacier National Park area.

Have a good trip. My only issue with the LSL is the long lay-over in CHI coming home. But there is a great food court upstairs to pass the time. LSL is the last LS train to leave so relax and enjoy the lounge.

There is a rack with a whole raft of different timetables at CUS. If memory serves, it is to the right just past the main "entrance" to the Amtrak boarding area. Coming out of the Metrolpolitan Lounge, go to your left, then right towards the ticket counter. It'll be on the left before you exit the Amtrak Boarding area through the sliding glass doors.

I've grabbed timetables off that rack every time I've passed through Chicago in the last few years.

There should be timetables in your rooms, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
When traveling on a train trip, I take with me a current copy of the system timetable.

:cool: Ditto on the Congrats, nice to have a Woman who understands Train Travel and is willing to Go along on such a Great Trip!! Grab a National Timetable @ South Station or in Union Station in Chicago although, as was said, there Should be Small Timetables in Your Room for Each Route on LD Trains! Be sure and do a Trip Report when you Return! ;) !

Last edited by a moderator:
My girlfriend was at first a bit sceptical of travelling across the country so "slowly" but I convinced her that the journey is part of the holiday experience, especially the views we'll be seeing of Glacier National Park (so long as we're not delayed and it's still light). So it took a bit to actually get her excited but thankfully we'll have a roomette on the LSL and a bedroom on the EB. And, since Amtrak has put nutritional info online recently I was able to discover that there are a few gluten-free options for her since she has a gluten allergy.
Just gonna warn you now--I'm in the same boat with gluten. Was freaking but then Amtrak posted those menus right before my trip. Well, due to food shortages I ate a lot of burgers. Good burgers but still. And haagen daz. Nothing to sneeze at, but that was the sole dessert option besides some random chunks (and I do mean chunks) of fruit. Hopefully EB has pretty good food service, better than the LD trains I rode, but I would check the schedule for any long layovers where you might be able to quickly grab hot local food. And bring some GF snacks.

I basically lived on sleeper urn coffee on my trip (and I'm sad to hear the urns are going away). CCC/diner coffee was execrable, the tea also. JFYI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back