Exchanging/Cancelling tickets from abroad

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel

Train Attendant
Hello fellow forum members! I have some doubts regarding on ticket exchange, here is my situation:

I fly standby, I'm scheduled for a flight that arrives 6:10 a.m. 8/20 at JFK. Then I have a single ticket with two trains: New York Penn - Washington, and Washington - Chicago.

I don't know if I'll be able to board that flight (I hope so), anyway, I'd have a better second plan, flying EZE-MIA-DCA, and then catching CL at Washington Union Station.

I know that no-show isn't the best way of cancelling a reservation. Besides, I'd like to use that money I have already been charged in order to pay for that new single ticket WAS-CHI.

My question is this, let's suppose it is Saturday 18th in the evening and I see that it would be impossible to board the JFK flight the next day, how can I change my NYP-WAS-CHI reservation to a WAS-CHI one? I don't know if I'll get some money back or don't (I have an ISIC discount in my current reservation, and for the 3-day rule I wouldn't be able to get a discount then). Is it possible through the internet? Or maybe over the phone? Is there a long hold time when calling Amtrak? (keep in mind, I want to pay less for that call than the money i paid for the ticket
mosking.gif
)

Again, thank you all for your support!

Unlike planes, Amtrak does not immediately cancel the complete trip the minute you do not show for the first train. However, with Amtrak now using e-ticketing, it may be different. Also, if you do not pick up your tickets prior to departure of the first train, the complete reservation will be cancelled.

The phone line times can not be estimated. I have been on hold for 30 minutes, but I have also had the call answered in 5 seconds (no wait)!

Unlike planes, Amtrak does not immediately cancel the complete trip the minute you do not show for the first train. However, with Amtrak now using e-ticketing, it may be different. Also, if you do not pick up your tickets prior to departure of the first train, the complete reservation will be cancelled.

The phone line times can not be estimated. I have been on hold for 30 minutes, but I have also had the call answered in 5 seconds (no wait)!
So then the only way to deal with my situation would be over the phone, right? Or is it possible via the internet?

So then the only way to deal with my situation would be over the phone, right? Or is it possible via the internet?
With new e-tickets, it's become really confusing, so I would suggest calling Amtrak for more information. I guess you could also ask station ticket agents if you lived here, but that's not possible since you are probably in Argentina.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joel said:
1344730913[/url]' post='386600']
the_traveler said:
1344730064[/url]' post='386596']Unlike planes, Amtrak does not immediately cancel the complete trip the minute you do not show for the first train. However, with Amtrak now using e-ticketing, it may be different. Also, if you do not pick up your tickets prior to departure of the first train, the complete reservation will be cancelled.

It may be possible to cancel over the Internet, provided you booked via the Internet. But then you would have to rebook the WAS-CHI segment at the current bucket - and also not be able to use your discount!
sad.gif

Unlike planes, Amtrak does not immediately cancel the complete trip the minute you do not show for the first train. However, with Amtrak now using e-ticketing, it may be different.

That has changed with e-ticketing.

From Amtrak:

If you do not notify us before the departure of your original train, and do not board that train, your entire reservation will be canceled, your eTicket will no longer be valid and cannot be used for travel, and the money you paid will be stored in an eVoucher that you can either use for future travel or arrange for a refund, subject to any refund conditions that may apply to the fare paid.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have internet access you can call U.S. toll free 1-800 numbers for free over Skype I believe from anywhere in the world. Amtrak is a 1-800 number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back