Exact routing to Roanoke

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 53 in my records from working he line before. And there are two different sets of mileposts on the route. Some are from Norfolk and some are from the Lynchburg freight bypass the N&W built in the 50s to bypass the station area. After passenger service ended the downtown passenger line was abandoned and torn up.

According to the FRA map, there are actually three different sets of mileposts on what I assume is the LYH - RNK route. Did another and more careful "measurement" using those mileposts and came up with 52.6 milepost miles based on what's shown below:

MP's At Lynchburga.jpg

And that rounds to 53 miles IAW the mileposts which is only about 1 mile more that the actual distance. Close enough for railroad work, I guess. Enough of this malarkey, doncha think?
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Amtrak's "Track Your Train" map already shows the route - you could compare that to Google Maps to figure out the details.
Amtrak's own maps can be surprisingly flaky themselves. I've caught Amtrak's map showing connections that are physically impossible for a train to make (unless it was disassembled and hoisted from one track to another by a large crane) and indicated routes that were several miles away from the tracks where the train actually traveled.

Amtrak's "Track Your Train" map already shows the route - you could compare that to Google Maps to figure out the details.
Amtrak's own maps can be surprisingly flaky themselves. I've caught Amtrak's map showing connections that are physically impossible for a train to make (unless it was disassembled and hoisted from one track to another by a large crane) and indicated routes that were several miles away from the tracks where the train actually traveled.
The TE's approach to SAS and the Cardinal east of Charlottesville is this way I believe.

Here's a pair of my favorites (no record of their source):

Immpossible routes.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back