Everett, WA -NYC through Canada

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day 1 (10/29/2023)
Everett up to Vancouver on the Cascades. Got fully packed up yesterday, even loaded my big suitcase in my truck last night, so didn't have to mess with loading it along with my CPAP and "toy bag" backpack this morning. Just throw the backpack and CPAP in and go. Didn't sleep terribly well last night, knowing I was going to have to get up early (for me) at 6:00 am so as to get showered, etc, to leave for the Everett station around 7:15. Everett station is only about a 20 minute drive from my house, but I wanted to be sure to be there in plenty of time to check my big bag, which I prefer not to drag onboard the Cascades. Got a luggage scale this year after that bag weighed in at 49.5 pounds last year, just squeeking by. This year's it weighted in at 47.5 pounds at home, and Amtrak's scale read the same. It was the only bag that got loaded at Everett, BTW. Watched the agent take it out to the platform in solitary splendor on her electric cart.

Cascades 516 arrived in Everett on time, may have been 2 minutes late. Boarded in coach, having discovered last year that Business Class on the Cascades Horizon sets is seriously not worth the money. $27 EVR-VAC coach versus closing on $70 for BC. No overhead luggage racks in BC, for one thing. Got a peek into BC today when I went to the cafe, no luggage racks.

The Horizon Cascades sets do not get a lot of love. I know the exteriors look very utilitarian when compared to the Euro-flair of the Talgos, but inside they ride well, the seats are very comfortable, especially compared with the thin cushioned monstrosities on the still-in-service Talgo VIIIs, and have been refurbed with the nice grey faux-leather upholstery. My only complaint is the gun-slit windows, which they have in common with Amfleet Is. And the fact that they apparently haven't been washed since they left the factory, which has everything to do with Amtrak's (non-existent) attention to detail and not the equipment itself.

20231029_083958.jpg

Again, I was struck by how much better the crews are on the Cascades than back east. Friendly, helpful and seem genuinely concerned about the passengers. Plus, I still think the Cascades serves the best Bloody Mary on all of Amtrak. The nuked AmMcMuffin, meh, but what can you do do?

20231029_090649.jpg

Had a bad, three way meet with 517 (which was late) and a BNSF freight at Mt Vernon that put us about 20 minutes behind schedule. The BNSF dispatcher handled it as well as possible. He tucked us in behind the freight in the siding, let 517 pass on the main, then had us back out and ran us around the freight so we wouldn't be stuck behind it. The conductor also explained what was happening over the PA in a way that anyone could understand. Kudos to both.

The day was spectacular, especially for this time of year. Clear and sunny, unusual for this time of year.
20231029_085138.jpg
20231029_100735.jpg
Got into Vancouver about 23 minutes late, no big deal. CBSA agent seemed genuinely interested in what I was doing, no problems there and cleared into Canada with no problems.

Heading east tomorrow on the Canadian. More later. Will post as replies to this thread.

Day 2 (10/30/2023 - part 1)
I know I will lose cell data service at some point later today, so will break it up a bit.

Got up around 8, having had a much better night's sleep than the night before. Showered, went for breakfast and did the Great Repacking.

One time, and only one time, I look my larger suitcase onboard like I do on Amtrak. The result was there was no floor space in the roomette at all. The attendant took pity on me and found a place to store it, but I had to get him when I wanted anything out of it. No need for a second lesson there.

However, I have to carry 8 changes of clothes to get me through to my first laundry day in New York next Monday, far too much to fit in my airline size carry on. The solution, pack a small collapsible gym duffel and put 4 days worth of clothes in it.20231030_093611.jpg
That also gives me the opportunity to rearrange everything between the carry on duffel, the toy bag, and the big bag.
20231030_093633.jpg20231030_094703.jpg
Note the water is distilled water for the CPAP. Which is a pain to drag along.

Repacking done, stowed the the duffel back in suitcase so I don't have an extra piece to wrestle on the my walking/Skytrain trip to a Pacific Central Station.
20231030_113246.jpg
Left the hotel at 12:30, got to Pacific Central Station at 1 pm, straight up. Pulled the duffel out and checked the big bag, now so light the baggage agent didn't even weigh it.

The duffel fits nicely in the little shelf above the "combolet".

After checking my bag, I went over to start the Sleeper Plus check in line. I knew they were going to open up soon. When the Service Manager came out he saw me at the head of the line. We recognized each other from past trips. He opened up check in about 1:25 or so. There was only one couple in the Prestige line, so he got to me quickly. Took the second seating, and went out to the patio of the Panorama Lounge. Another gorgeous day in Vancouver.20231030_132625.jpg
Boarding took me by surprise. The batteries died in my scanner and I was digging my non-rechargable battery adapter out when they called. Usually I hear them when they are preparing to open the train.

Left right on time at 3:00. More later.

Last edited:
What you did with the duffel is exactly what I did on the Canadian. I read that there were no luggage racks and was afraid my large suitcase would take up too much room. However, like you I wanted to take more than I could in my smaller airline carryon-sized bag (I was staying a week in Vancouver). Bringing the duffel in my big bag, putting what I needed in that, and checking the big bag worked perfectly. The same issue exists on single-level Amtrak trains as well - though I’m not sure what you’d do in either case if traveling to/from a station with no checked baggage…

The same issue exists on single-level Amtrak trains as well - though I’m not sure what you’d do in either case if traveling to/from a station with no checked baggage…"
Personally, on Viewliners I just hoist my "big" bag into the cubby, where it fits, barely, but fits.

On VIA they'll check bags to any station on trains handling checked bags. That's good, because if they required station staffing, you'd only be able to check to 6 stations on the whole Canadian, Vancouver, Jasper, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg and Toronto. But VIA will check and return baggage trainside at any stop. I wonder what's stopping Amtrak?

Will catch up on trip posts sometime later. Left Melville, SK a bit ago. On time, believe it or not.

Day 2 (10/30/23) continued
As much as Days 3 and 4 as I can get to.

In Winnipeg. Almost 2 hours early!

The weather held the rest of Monday, sunny and beautiful heading out of Vancouver and up the Fraser Valley.

20231030_161016.jpg

Details about the train. This is the first day of operation the Winter consist. First off, the Park access restrictions are off, per VIA's published policy and past practice. It is one of the reasons I travel when I do. Like past years, the only Park restriction now is the first couple of dome rows are reserved for Prestige but the hour restrictions for Sleeper Plus are off for the season. One thing about VIA's published policy says the restrictions are lifted when fares go to off Peak (October 15th), but the reality is they actually lifted when the Winter consist starts (week in which November starts). Got clarification on this over the scanner. Somewhere around the Fraser Bridge the Park Car concierge/attendant radioed the SM and said Sleeper Plus passengers were back there and was it okay. The SM replied specifically that it is the Winter consist now, so Sleeper Plus had unrestricted access. Understandable why she asked, the crew worked west from Winnipeg on a peak consist with Park restrictions.

In other news, the Sleeper Plus Skyline was staffed! It hasn't been the last few years. Don't know if it was just because the crew was working back to Winnipeg and the attendant had to go back anyway or they are actually staffing it ongoing during the busier times of off-peak. We'll see tomorrow if it is staffed with an actual off peak sized Winnipeg-Toronto crew.

Consist out of Vancouver was deadhead baggage, deadhead Skyline, Coach, Economy Skyline, crew sleeper (Manor), 5 revenue Manors (214-210, car line numbers in decreasing order fore to aft), Sleeper Plus Skyline, Diner, Prestige Chateau, Park.

Going to go ahead and post this. Want to head back to Winnipeg station before they close the platform at 10:15 for servicing (having beer at The Keg a couple blocks from the station). Will open it back up at 11:00 for 11:30 departure, but I don't want wait that long to get back to my roomette and settle back in.

Personally, on Viewliners I just hoist my "big" bag into the cubby, where it fits, barely, but fits.

On VIA they'll check bags to any station on trains handling checked bags. That's good, because if they required station staffing, you'd only be able to check to 6 stations on the whole Canadian, Vancouver, Jasper, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg and Toronto. But VIA will check and return baggage trainside at any stop. I wonder what's stopping Amtrak?

Will catch up on trip posts sometime later. Left Melville, SK a bit ago. On time, believe it or not.
Melville was one of the CN cities that teamed up with Edmonton and Jasper to save the Super Continental in the 1981 service cuts. In better days it was a hub for RDC branch line trains.

Americans take note: Charles Melville Hays had quite a life in both countries.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Melville_Hays

Day 2 (last part).

Jumping ahead, had the best timekeeping on the Canadian in years on this trip. Yeah, we'd get a couple hours behind, worst was about three hours down around Armstrong, ON, but were a early into the major stations, two hours early into Winnipeg and Toronto.

Anyway, gorgeous day heading up the Fraser Valley. Hung out in the Skyline out of Vancouver. The "welcome" reception is back with sparking wine and little canapés. Not the best wine or snacks but a nice touch.

Getting on the CP at the start of paired track running.

20231030_173053.jpg
I chose the late seating for dinner and they called it right at 7:30. Had the lamb, it was great. I haven't really gotten into the current habit of taking pictures of my meals, so no picture. Sorry.

After dinner, I went back to my roomette, grabbed my scanner, Canadian Trackside Guide, and my Park Car Light Baffles (pat. pending) and headed back to the Park.

I love domes in general but especially domes at night. No one is up there and I love the play of the signal lights down train as the signals drop, the headlights shining on the canyon walls as we curve through Fraser and Thompson Canyons.

In March 2022, on the round trip trip to Toronto I took to get a Canadian fix once the amenities got somewhat restored as COVID wound down, I found I was wanting to darken the dome further. I'd done this, blocking the first couple floor lights, on an ad hoc basis before. Propping up my Canadian Trackside Guide in front of the lights, putting VIA's brown paper trash bags in front of the lights before Prestige when there were usually a pile of them on the ledge at the front if the dome. During that trip, on the way to Toronto, I decided I wanted a systematic solution. At my hotel in Toronto, I asked if they had any old cardboard boxes. They did, and I cut out some cardboard squares, very roughly and unevenly about 8"x8". My Park Light Baffles. They work great.

Never had a VIA staffer have a problem with them, this is my third trip with them. Occasionally, they'll say to make sure and take them down when I leave, which I do anyway, they're mine. A good case of "better to beg forgiveness than ask permission."

I stayed up until we crossed back to CN at Basque (west of Ashcroft), then headed back to my roomette. Pulled the bed down, and turned off the lights, opened the blind and looked out. One of the other nice things about traditional roomettes is the mattress is even with the window. All you need to do to look out is turn your head.

Will post this now. More soon. Trip is winding down (on the thrilling Maple Leaf right now), so hopefully they'll come faster now.

Last edited:
Details about the train. This is the first day of operation the Winter consist. First off, the Park access restrictions are off, per VIA's published policy and past practice. It is one of the reasons I travel when I do. Like past years, the only Park restriction now is the first couple of dome rows are reserved for Prestige but the hour restrictions for Sleeper Plus are off for the season. One thing about VIA's published policy says the restrictions are lifted when fares go to off Peak (October 15th), but the reality is they actually lifted when the Winter consist starts (week in which November starts). Got clarification on this over the scanner. Somewhere around the Fraser Bridge the Park Car concierge/attendant radioed the SM and said Sleeper Plus passengers were back there and was it okay. The SM replied specifically that it is the Winter consist now, so Sleeper Plus had unrestricted access. Understandable why she asked, the crew worked west from Winnipeg on a peak consist with Park restrictions.
I was looking at the soon-to-be-discontinued VIA app, and it turns out if you set your device’s date ahead you can look at prices for (and maybe even book) trains more than 11 months in advance. Looked later in October 2024, and found the fares drop on November 1, not October 15.

I was looking at the soon-to-be-discontinued VIA app, and it turns out if you set your device’s date ahead you can look at prices for (and maybe even book) trains more than 11 months in advance. Looked later in October 2024, and found the fares drop on November 1, not October 15.
Yep, same as Amtrak. You can go out 11 months on viarail.ca, too. The fare drop date shifts. It used to always be 11/1. It was only 10/15 the last couple years (including 2023).

They'll probably put out another app sometime after they get their new underlying reservation system in production and stabilized.

I just hope they don't use the new one to implement a yield management strategy like Amtrak’s.

Okay, since I am starting back west tomorrow morning on the 7:15 am Maple Leaf (😵‍💫), I'll try to get the outbound trip done. Especially since I am just sitting doing laundry for the trip back.

Day 3.
We were running about 90 minutes late when I woke up, somewhere around Blue River. First night, as usual didn't sleep well, probably only got a couple hours of real sleep. I usually throw on yesterday's clothes and go to breakfast, then take a shower and change for the day. Like Amtrak, the shower tends to be more available later. Had the omelet (I don't like sweets for breakfast, so French Toast, waffles, pancakes, hold no appeal). Anyway, after breakfast I hit the shower. I was in the shower during a good part of Yellowhead Pass, which demonstrates how many times I've done this since I didn't really care. I tend not to go up in the dome for that stretch anyway. I've seen it many times and will let somebody else have the dome seat.

Did wander back to the Park, but hung in the Bullet Lounge, enjoying the absence of the infamous buffer car.

20231031_094052.jpg20231031_094412.jpg

Got to Jasper about an hour late, which is not bad at all. As I mentioned before, timekeeping on this trip was the best it's been in a long time.

They were dropping the deadhead baggage car in Jasper, which made for some interesting moves.20231031_115105.jpg
Reattached brake lines and HEP to the deadhead Skyline now that they dropped the baggage.20231031_115925.jpg

Washing the domes. They do this on every trip. You'd think Amtrak could run cars though the wash rack every couple years, maybe...
20231031_120645.jpg

Just cannot resist the train as it was meant to look...
20231031_121118.jpg

For some reason they started up the engine they keep in Jasper. They didn't swap one of ours for it though, which is what I first thought.
20231031_121500.jpg
Despite everything done in Jasper we were our way 1:10 later.

I had the second seating, which nominally should have been around 1 pm. But the 11:30 first seating didn't happen until about 1:20 due to the timing of the Jasper stop. Fine by me, it meant I wasn't in the diner during the scenic first hour out of Jasper. And they're doing the welcome party out of Jasper again
20231031_133141.jpg

One of the things I really like about Canadian railroads is they're not replacing searchlights at anywhere near the rate they are in the US, where they are close to extinct.
A searchlight dropping to red as we pass:

View attachment 20231031_135218.mp4
I think I am at the max number of pictures on a single post, so will post this now.

Attachments

• 20231031_133141.jpg
    20231031_133141.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Day 3/Day 4 (While waiting in the Moynihan Red Cap area).

Second seating for lunch (mine) was about 2:20 or so. No biggie. I will try to provide meal pictures on the way back, not being of the social media generation is isn't second nature to take pictures of my food.

CN pretty much gave us the railroad to Edmonton and we arrived only 5 minutes late. A record. Went out to walk around a bit on the Edmonton platform.

My roomette in car 212, Bliss Manor, from Edmonton platform.
20231031_192001.jpg

Went back to the Park after I got back on. We left on time, but then had to across the black hole that is Edmonton. Crawled through the Walker Yard Bypass with lots of stops and starts. Then hit lots of traffic once back in CTC past East Jct. Some of that traffic was VIA 1, which we were in the hole for. I predicted that we'd be on time or early into Saskatoon to the couple of people that were up in the Park dome with me and with whom I had been having a lively, railfan oriented conversation. They scoffed, with all the starts and stops since leaving Edmonton station.

It turns out I was both right and wrong on the Saskatoon arrival. More about that later, going to post this now.

Day 3/Day 4 (While waiting in the Moynihan Red Cap area).

Second seating for lunch (mine) was about 2:20 or so. No biggie. I will try to provide meal pictures on the way back, not being of the social media generation is isn't second nature to take pictures of my food.

CN pretty much gave us the railroad to Edmonton and we arrived only 5 minutes late. A record. Went out to walk around a bit on the Edmonton platform.

My roomette in car 212, Bliss Manor, from Edmonton platform.

Went back to the Park after I got back on. We left on time, but then had to across the black hole that is Edmonton. Crawled through the Walker Yard Bypass with lots of stops and starts. Then hit lots of traffic once back in CTC past East Jct. Some of that traffic was VIA 1, which we were in the hole for. I predicted that we'd be on time or early into Saskatoon to the couple of people that were up in the Park dome with me and with whom I had been having a lively, railfan oriented conversation. They scoffed, with all the starts and stops since leaving Edmonton station.

It turns out I was both right and wrong on the Saskatoon arrival. More about that later, going to post this now.
Before the passenger line through central Edmonton was cut, they used to send freights through on it when congestion at the Calder Yards could be relieved. We had a trolley coach grade crossing on 107th Avenue and randomly would be delayed there (old Rtes. 3, 4, 7).

Interesting...how high above the rails were the trolley wires?
The issue never came up while I worked there. There was also a trolley coach crossing of the passenger line and LRT at 95th Street (Rtes 5 and 6). There was a trolley coach crossing of the passenger line and LRT at 115th Avenue that was used for garage trips and the seasonal extension of Rte 3 to the Northlands Exhibition grounds.

This is a view of the 95th Street crossing in early 1978. The CN tracks on the left were for main line passenger trains and Railiners for Drumheller and Calgary via Camrose (Grand Trunk Pacific). Tracks on the right were for Railiners for St. Paul/Cold Lake and North Battleford (Canadian Northern). The CN Tower Station is the high-rise on the right.

1978  077.jpg

There are some quick views of trolley coach crossings in Part One of this primitive video.

1978 - the 115th Avenue crossing.
1978 058.jpg

Rail passengers arriving at Edmonton's CN Station could catch a bus out front to the University of Alberta and University Hospital or walk one block to Churchill LRT Station.
1976 007 (2).jpg

The issue never came up while I worked there. There was also a trolley coach crossing of the passenger line and LRT at 95th Street (Rtes 5 and 6). There was a trolley coach crossing of the passenger line and LRT at 115th Avenue that was used for garage trips and the seasonal extension of Rte 3 to the Northlands Exhibition grounds.

This is a view of the 95th Street crossing in early 1978. The CN tracks on the left were for main line passenger trains and Railiners for Drumheller and Calgary via Camrose (Grand Trunk Pacific). Tracks on the right were for Railiners for St. Paul/Cold Lake and North Battleford (Canadian Northern). The CN Tower Station is the high-rise on the right.

View attachment 34564

There are some quick views of trolley coach crossings in Part One of this primitive video.

1978 - the 115th Avenue crossing.
View attachment 34565

Rail passengers arriving at Edmonton's CN Station could catch a bus out front to the University of Alberta and University Hospital or walk one block to Churchill LRT Station.
View attachment 34567

Great photo's and video. I was wondering how they might clear modern double stack freight trains, but those look like ample clearance...those poles can really reach!:)

Day 4

Boy, am I behind. In the Business Lounge at Toronto Union Station waiting to board 1.

Day 4.
Didn't sleep well again that night so was awake when we sorta got to Saskatoon.

We were Saskatoon-adjacent for over 3 hours. But we were held out and sat pretty much opposite the station on the main for AK hour before we pulled forward and backed into the station. Saskatoon can be run through, but CN dispatchers never seem to let the Canadian use the west approach track so 2 almost always is backed in, in a fairly long backup move.

The rest of the day was fine, blasting through the prairies, mostly at track speed. Spent most of the morning up in the Skyline dome. We were about 2 hours late leaving Saskatoon, but about 20 minutes early into Melville. Got first seating for today's meals, because we were coming into Winnipeg, were on time and 2nd seating might be rushed. So I was seated for lunch at Melville, so didn't get off.

Went back to the Park for awhile, then went back to my roomette around Portage and just chilled out.

We were about 2 hours early into Winnipeg, arriving around 8 pm. They announced they were going to close the platform between 10:15 and 11:00, so we were going to be around 2 hours before they closed it. I walked over to The Keg and had a drink, and returned at about quarter to 10.
20231101_215234.jpg

Hung out in my room and went back to the Park just before they started boarding at 11. They radioed the train was closed and secured about 11:15. At 11:30, they started messing around with switching a deadhead coach on ahead of the deadhead Skyline and didn't actually pull out until midnight. I was talking with a fellow railfan up there, but begged off and headed back to my roomette, as I was dead on my feet.

I pulled the bed down and that night I went to sleep almost immediately, stopped around Transcona Yard.

Day 5.
Got the first solid night's sleep since boarding and woke up in the Canadian Shield. Not sure where, but at about 10 minutes to 8. I threw on yesterday's clothes and went to the diner for breakfast. While at breakfast we pulled into Sioux Lookout, nearly 3 hours late and left about 2 1/2 hours late. That grew to 4 1/2 hours late by Armstrong, but back down to less than 2 hours late at Hornepayne.

20231102_154721.jpg
Spent my day about half and half in the domes and in my room, just chilling. Felt a lot better after a solid night's sleep.
20231102_154721.jpg

A picture of my duffel snugly on the shelf above the "combolet".
20231102_104738.jpg

Beautiful Hornepayne
20231102_183127.jpg20231102_184033.jpg

Day 6
We made all the time (well, didn't use up the pad) and were on time at Parry Sound where I woke up.

Lazy morning, with brunch. A parting shot of the Park
20231103_112943.jpg

Okay, on 1 pulling out right this second. Got this as far as Toronto. Still on to NYC on the Maple Leaf left to do.

Attachments

• 20231102_184033.jpg
    20231102_184033.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Day 7

Got to Toronto Union Station about 7:35 for the 8:20 departure of the Maple Leaf. The boarding process was a bit different again this year. Instead of setting up two lines, one for US bound passengers, one for those just going to one of the Ontario stops like they did last year, they told the US passengers to go to waiting area D. There was podium to check documents and pass out the useless Amtrak border crossing luggage tags, and then instructed to sit and wait in area D. At about 5 minutes to 8 they called for Business Class to board. Was again reminded how difficult it was to wrestle a suitcase weighing nearly 50 pounds up vestibule steps from a low level platform. Got it up there, stowed it in the space at the back of the car for bigger suitcases and grabbed a seat on the "single" side. A fellow railfan, Bob, with whom I had spent quite a bit of time talking with in the Park dome at night on the Canadian was also onboard on his way to Rome, NY. We continued chatting, much of which was around PSR and the STB which involved railroad technical jargon and references and was perfectly polite. But the woman behind me asked us to stop talking because it was "Business Class". I told her that Business Class was not a Quiet Car and it only really meant bigger seats. We continued chatting but tried to keep our voices down. Skipping ahead a bit, an Hispanic family of 5 boarded at Niagara Falls, NY took 2 rows of the double side beside her and the single behind her. They proceeded to all chat merrily away in Spanish on 3 sides of her, much to the delight my companion Bob and I. She got off in Rochester.

Anyway, we got to Niagara Falls, ON pretty much on time. The VIA crew got off and the Amtrak T&E crew got on. The conductor made an announcement about the procedure for US Customs and Immigration and off we went across the bridge.

They deboarded everyone from the rear vestibule of the Amfleet I just ahead of the Amcafe/BC car. The "new" Niagara Falls, NY station has high level platforms and the well designed facility makes an unpleasant process as good as it can be. I will compare and contrast it with the inadequate and generally lousy facility on the Ontario side when I get that far. They added a new "feature" this time that made it more intimidating. They halted everyone on the ramp (which is indoors and out of the weather) before starting to process us. Everyone had to stack all their bags, including backpacks and purses, against the opposite and stand against the other wall facing it. Armed CBP officers stood staring at us in the middle at about 15 foot intervals to ensure compliance. Welcome to the United States. Once everyone and their stuff were positioned to their satisfaction, they a sniffer dog down the line of bags and the line of people. Then we were allowed to cross the aisle, reclaim our dangerous luggage and they started processing us. The actual primary inspection interview was easy and quick, at least for me.

We had to wait a little bit in Niagara Falls, NY's large waiting room for a few minutes while CBP finished clearing the train itself. Once opened, the conductor scanned out tickets as we went out to the platform. Rolled my big bag on, with a little extra speed to easily jump the gap between the platform and train. Found Karen already seated and surrounded by the large Hispanic family😁.

The consist was 3 Amfleet IIs, an Amfleet I, and an Amcafe/BC. I think they kept the first Amfleet II closed until Albany like they have in the past.

The Amcafe/BC car's restroom didn't mysteriously "break" upon entering the US like it did last year. The cafe attendant was friendly and personable, one of nicest attendants I've ridden with outside the Cascades and a pleasant change from the somewhat surly attendants I've generally encountered in the Northeast.

The Maple Leaf was on time or close it for the entire trip to NYC and we arrived at NYP almost 20 minutes early.

I chose the correct escalator and came up from the platform precisely where I intended to be, the "exit corridor" on the LIRR level of Penn. Which I considered an accomplishment. I headed to the 7th Ave & 34th St exit and walked to my hotel on 37th between 5th and 6th.

The remodeling of the LIRR level of Penn Station is almost complete and feels like a pretty big improvement. The ceilings are much higher, for one thing. There isn't much retail back there yet, but I am sure that will come.

This finishes the outbound trip, will do the return trip as a separate thread.20231104_072919.jpg20231104_104929.jpg20231104_114513.jpg20231104_172658.jpg20231104_172818.jpg

Back