Equipment on Carolinian

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking at a few rail fan options out of D.C if the Acela is not runnning in July. I really do not care for Amfleet I for an all day ride, but II would be ok.

Also, what is the business class like on this train?

thanks

Steve, I'm pretty sure the Carolinian typically runs with Amfleet I's, especially since it runs like a Regional train throughout the NEC. It may even use Horizons if there aren't enough Amfleet I's with the need for Metroliners (I'm just speculating on this count). If you want Amfleet II's in the East your best bet would be the Palmetto which uses them and has BC, which IIRC the chief said had a refrigerator/cooler for the free beverages BC includes. ...but I'm sure with the Palmetto as I've seen it numerous times.

I don't believe there's a rule that they have to have Capstones. They might get one by luck of the draw, but AFIK it's just regular Amfleet I's.

The carolinian uses amfleet 1 coaches.If you want to ride in the amfleet 2 coaches ride the crescent.The crescent goes through north and south carolina during the night hours at times better suited for bats, but you can purchase a sleeper room and it has a full service diner and lounge.Also the crescent has 10 or more cars so it gets 2 of the genesis locomotives to pull it.

Really the use of two engines isn't going to make or break the trip for even the most seasoned railfans. They get to run the 480 off the Trailer. Woohoo. The only people it truly makes a difference for are the Engineers with how they handle the train, and how much noise they have to listen to. Even now the Engineers are being told to take one of the Engines offline whenever possible to conserve fuel.

Thank you for the help.

The Amfleet II's would make the difference, so I would try the palmettto. Since I wanted a daylight ride, the palmetto would be the best option. The Carolinian, with a possibility of horizons, is definitely less attractive.

The Carolinian uses, Amfleet I cars with a well refurbished Amfleet II car as Business class, with televisions sets ( as of 10/28/04), it will either say Business class, or Coach on the outside, but it will not be one of those crappy Business Class coaches that they use on the regional trains.

The dinette is usually an Amfleet II lounge or Horizon Lounge.

I have never seen a Horizon Coach on this train, but that's not to say they Aren't used.

Where are you traveling from?

Jon Parker

capltd29 said:
The Carolinian uses, Amfleet I cars with a well refurbished Amfleet II car as Business class, with televisions sets ( as of 10/28/04), it will either say Business class, or Coach on the outside, but it will not be one of those crappy Business Class coaches that they use on the regional trains.
The dinette is usually an Amfleet II lounge or Horizon Lounge.

I have never seen a Horizon Coach on this train, but that's not to say they Aren't used.

Where are you traveling from?

Jon Parker
The previous poster shows the typical "Carolinian" consist.

You can use either train as far as SSM (Selma, NC), but from there the "Palmetto" traverses the "Meteor's" route on to SAV. And the "Carolinian" heads down towards RGH (on the "Star" route) and on to CLT on the mostly stated owned trackage via GRO, etc.

I use the "Carolinian" on occasion to get to those points towards Charlotte, NC. And I usually go in Business Class so I can have the room of an Amleet II coach. Only one time they didn't have the II in the consist! I don't use the "Palmetto" since it no longer serves FL where I live. I miss that train, however, being it was my regular train which I worked when it was a FL train! OBS...

battalion51 said:
Really the use of two engines isn't going to make or break the trip for even the most seasoned railfans. They get to run the 480 off the Trailer. Woohoo. The only people it truly makes a difference for are the Engineers with how they handle the train, and how much noise they have to listen to. Even now the Engineers are being told to take one of the Engines offline whenever possible to conserve fuel.
2 engines does make a difference on a long distance train.I seen the crescent with only 1 engine last year and it was over 6 hours late getting into gainesville.It arrived at 220 pm instead of 800 am those passengers got into new orleans at a time better suited for bats than the usuall early evening arrival time of around 8 pm.They missed dinner in new orleans and all of their evening sightseeing time. The crescent used 3 engines when the gulf breeze operated with it between New York and Birmingham.most of the time it was 3 F40PH units.

I'm sorry but the use of one engine is almost never going to be the sole cause of a train being delayed (assuming normal operation). And what I was refering to is to most railfans having two engines doesn't make the experience. People don't go out and take picutres just because a train has two regular old P-42's. It's not a big deal. I'm not going to argue that you get up to speed faster with two engines, you do, that's just common sense. But on a normal train having an extra engine isn't going to produce anything noticable to ANYONE unless they are an Engineer or Conductor.

Back