Enjoyable dining car meal

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This morning on 6 I had breakfast with a guy who had been a Roadie for a lot of different performers. He worked with Diana Ross. He told a story about a party where she danced with him(very close I might add). Then when he was sick she sent a doctor to look after him. I enjoyed this because I have always liked her music and had a crush on her when I was in high school.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Thanks for your story! Regardless of the train's chef, the train's menu, or the Service Staff, meeting interesting people and hearing their stories while dining in the Dining Car is one of the most important enjoyments I receive from traveling by train.

The random seating of the diner is a blessing and a curse. I travel alone 99% of the time so I always sit with strangers. I tell the good stories in my travel log. Those are easy. One trip I was seated with a older couple, looked like normal mid America folks. Unfortunately the husband had a advanced case of Alzheimer's. I had more than my share of brushes with this disease but never like this. I felt for the wife but the entire area around our table took note, they had no choice. Things were vocalized that I'd like to think I'll never hear again. I don't tell this to put anyone down....but would the diner crew served them in their room if asked??? It may have been better for all.

On the good side I sat with a couple that had once lived 1/2 mile from me in the most rural area of WV but we had never met. What are the chances of us sitting together in a Amtrak diner in the American Southwest???

Things were vocalized that I'd like to think I'll never hear again. I don't tell this to put anyone down....but would the diner crew served them in their room if asked??? It may have been better for all.
If they had a room then the SCA would have served them rather than the dining staff. If they didn't have a room then the coach attendant could have served them, although I believe the coach meal options are separate and distinct from dining/sleeper meals. Not sure what this guy said but I've occasionally run into people who randomly dumped racist/sexist comments into the conversation and kind of ruined the experience for those seated around them. Seems that casual vulgarity is making a bit of a comeback these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a comment that I would like to make in support of Devil's Advocate's post on this thread. But, I will refrain from making such a post inasmuch as it will do little to advance the original post.

Back