Enhanced Security over Labor Day Weekend

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Expect 'Enhanced' Security on Railroads over Labor Day Weekend, Homeland Security Secretary Says

Just weeks after several Americans thwarted an attack on a high-speed train in Europe, Homeland Security Sec. Jeh Johnson said today he had “great confidence in the safety of rail travel” in the United States –- and promised a boost in TSA’s rail presence over Labor Day weekend.

http://news.yahoo.com/expect-enhanced-security-railroads-over-labor-day-weekend-014026658--abc-news-topstories.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Expect 'Enhanced' Security on Railroads over Labor Day Weekend, Homeland Security Secretary Says

Just weeks after several Americans thwarted an attack on a high-speed train in Europe, Homeland Security Sec. Jeh Johnson said today he had “great confidence in the safety of rail travel” in the United States –- and promised a boost in TSA’s rail presence over Labor Day weekend.

http://news.yahoo.com/expect-enhanced-security-railroads-over-labor-day-weekend-014026658--abc-news-topstories.html
He then turned around to his buddies in the security lobbyists and said "The checks going to hit my bank by Tuesday morning, right?"

They don't do it that way in WAS now!

When he leaves Government Service hell have a High Paying gig as a Security/Transportation Consultant with HLS!!!

I was home Sunday and Monday, but did commute through TRE on Saturday. No security anywhere. No NJT police anywhere. No Trenton police outside (to be fair, I have never seen the Trenton police in that area).

On my way home late Saturday afternoon, I was about to cross the road to get to the RiverLine light rail, when I saw a woman who had stopped all traffic. She was wandering down the middle of the road with her arms up above her head, going up to cars and smiling at the drivers. I would have told the police, but there weren't any. She wandered in front of two NJT buses and then on down the road out of our sight.

This morning, however, there were at least four NJT police in TRE, scowling at those of us who are responsible citizens who have paid for a ticket and are going to work. They seem to consider us the problem.

Did ANYBODY notice any more security presence over the holiday weekend?

Inquiring minds, etc.
I was at Chicago Union Station and then on the Cardinal arriving into Washington Union Station on Labor Day. Did not come across a single human or robotic unit that looked like it had anything to do with Security on the entire trip. And also nothing beyond regular TSA Pre-Check at the airports, MCO, ORD and IAD.

Did ANYBODY notice any more security presence over the holiday weekend?

Inquiring minds, etc.
I was at Chicago Union Station and then on the Cardinal arriving into Washington Union Station on Labor Day. Did not come across a single human or robotic unit that looked like it had anything to do with Security on the entire trip. And also nothing beyond regular TSA Pre-Check at the airports, MCO, ORD and IAD.
Chicago seems to have everything in order and takes a common sense approach to security. While Officers are present, they blend into the background while keeping an eye on things. The closest "encounter" I have experienced there was being sniffed at in passing by a dog probably looking for narcotics.

Let us all praise the TSA for achieving perfect stealth.

I didn't notice anything on my Meteor trip, either.
There were 6 TSA agents at the Orlando station yesterday (Tuesday 9/8) at the time both the SB Meteor and NB Meteor arrived.

Sounds like they expect the terrorists to visit the Mouse House.

When we got off the train in Durham, NH today there were two Department of Homeland Security officers, a police officer and a Suit. As soon the the train full of college kids left for Boston, they all wandered off together on foot, relaxed and chatting away like they were at a bbq... Wondered if it was a show for 9/11..

When we got off the train in Durham, NH today there were two Department of Homeland Security officers, a police officer and a Suit. As soon the the train full of college kids left for Boston, they all wandered off together on foot, relaxed and chatting away like they were at a bbq... Wondered if it was a show for 9/11..
So, about 2 weeks later, two questions.

Was there any extra presence by TSA anywhere?

And (this would need a FOIA, or more) what did this non-presence cost? Assuming this extra (non) security happened, and if it did happen that it did cost something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back