Engine 160

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith1951

Service Attendant
I saw a post where someone said they saw the "160" roll thru. I have seen other posts where they are talking about other numbered engines. Are these certain types of engines where there are more than one which run on different lines, or is it the name of one engine where theres no others called "160"? Does every engine have its own numbered name? For instance if I say, "these cars are being pulled by "42", is that the only engine with that number, or is there another engine with that number on another line. I hope I asked these questions so they are understood. Thanks. Just trying to see if every engine has its own unique number.

Yes, every Amtrak engine has it's own unique number. The numbering sequences can apply to different type of engines. Example the Siemens Sprinters (electrics on the northeast corridor) are numbered 600 to 670 (w/no 666).

160, and a few others, have been special 50th anniversary liveries (paint jobs). 160 is the last to be done and made its first revenue run on #30 (Capitol Limited).

https://media.amtrak.com/2021/03/am...nniversary-commemorative-painted-locomotives/

Back