EMY to PDX Parlour Car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyegor

Train Attendant
This will be my first trip on the CS and I am looking forward to spending time in the PPC. Assuming the train is on time we board at approx 10PM and de-train around 330PM. What activities will be going on in the PPC? I'm assuming no movie but W&C tasting correct? Anything else I should be looking for? Thanks.

There will be wine tasting before you get to Portland.

As to the movies, it depends on the car attendant. Some have specific movie times, some will put on a movie when passengers ask.

It still should be open for drinks when you board at 10.

In my limited experience, there is an afternoon showing of a kids/family type movie.

But other than for the novelty of it, I don't think I'd waste daylight hours watching the movie.

Much better plot, action, characters out the window IMHO.

The PPC is a favorite of mine, probably because it's only on the CS & it's all the way across the country!!!! I love the swivel seats, the different menu & the taste of their Bloody Marys, nice scenary - just different!!!!! (Not to mention there are rumors of their demise!) With any luck, I'll be relaxing in the PPC this August!!!

Have Fun

Each time I have been Northbound on the CS the wine & cheese tasting in the PPC has been after the PDX stop.

Have never watched a movie down there as the scenery is much more interesting.

If you are like me you will not be ready for sleep when you board as you will want to settle in and explore. The PPC at night is a very relaxing and enjoyable experience since by the time the Attendant goes off duty about 11 pm or so the car is pretty much empty. But the car itself remains open all night and with the lights dimmed and the crowds gone it takes on a whole new setting. A very relaxing setting.

The Conductors will wander through from time to time as they make their rounds and the Diner/SSL staff will pass through as they head to the Transdorm but other than them and perhaps one or 2 other night birds from the Sleepers, the car is yours.

If you are like me you will not be ready for sleep when you board as you will want to settle in and explore. The PPC at night is a very relaxing and enjoyable experience since by the time the Attendant goes off duty about 11 pm or so the car is pretty much empty. But the car itself remains open all night and with the lights dimmed and the crowds gone it takes on a whole new setting. A very relaxing setting.
The Conductors will wander through from time to time as they make their rounds and the Diner/SSL staff will pass through as they head to the Transdorm but other than them and perhaps one or 2 other night birds from the Sleepers, the car is yours.
Does sort of bring up the question of what is there to prevent folks from coach from wandering down to the PPC in the wee hours of the night

and hanging out? I mean, I suppose it generally doesn't occur to people, and most people respect the rules, but it sure seems like if you were

in coach and really wanted to see the PPC, there probably wouldn't be much stopping you.

The PPC is a favorite of mine, probably because it's only on the CS & it's all the way across the country!!!! I love the swivel seats, the different menu & the taste of their Bloody Marys, nice scenary - just different!!!!! (Not to mention there are rumors of their demise!) With any luck, I'll be relaxing in the PPC this August!!!Have Fun
Nice people too! We met you in the PPC, and you told us about AU, and here we are! :hi:

I hope you do get to ride the PPC in August...

When we went up to Seattle on the Coast Starlight, our parlour car attendant was great. I wanted to watch a movie before lunch but didn't want to miss the scenary. Our attendant created a win-win. We watched the movie and opened the front curtains so that we could watch the scenary out both sides of the car but watch the movie as well. One of the highlights of our trip.

I didn't enjoy the parlour car at night. I had wanted to see the train go over the bridge near the dam and with the lighting, couldn't see anything except my reflection. I went back to the roomette and got to see the front and back of the train and the headlights on the red rock and the slow sway of the train. It was way too late and I should have been sleeping but I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

I am certain that Amtrak has rules against turning out ALL lights in the PPC after dark (for safety reasons). And any interior space that has a light on will generate reflections in the windows. So your sleeping car room is the best place to view the outside at night.

My experience has been that the Wine & Cheese tasting on the second day happens just before PDX, though it might not be totally done by arrival in PDX.

There is usually a movie downstairs on the first evening -- typically a romantic comedy. It will be over by the time you board in EMY.

Thanks everyone for the replies. As I said, this will be the family's 1st time on the CS. I hope the PPC makes it even more memorable so I was looking for some veteran travelers' input. You guys nailed it. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back