EMY - CZ Help

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

New US Rail User

I'm visiting from the UK and travelling on the EB from Chicago to Seattle which is now all booked, really looking forward to the experience and actually seeing some of the country rather than flying which I have always done before.

I'm thinking of doing the CZ back to Chicago after a stay in Seattle and San Francisco. I was thinking of not booking the thru way bus (firstly I have been to SF before but I wouldn't be familiar where to catch the us from and also I won't have my ticket as I will have to pick it up at the station) I'm thinking of making my own way to EMY station by cab. As a side point would anyone know the cost of a cab from central SF to EMY?

My main question is if I do end up booking the bus connection - do they let me on the bus without my ticket as I assume that I have to collect the ticket at the station as I have to in Chicago for the EB route? Is this what would normally happen?

Also I originally booked the EB in a roomette two of us travelling but have upgraded it to a bedroom. I'm thinking of doing the same on the CZ but it's an extra $283 ($539 for roomette and $822 for bedroom) do you think its worth the extra for upgrade?

Sorry for such a long post but I'm just mid planning the trip and want to cover everything off so I can just sit back and wait for the trip.

Thanks

I'm visiting from the UK and travelling on the EB from Chicago to Seattle which is now all booked, really looking forward to the experience and actually seeing some of the country rather than flying which I have always done before.
I'm thinking of doing the CZ back to Chicago after a stay in Seattle and San Francisco. I was thinking of not booking the thru way bus (firstly I have been to SF before but I wouldn't be familiar where to catch the us from and also I won't have my ticket as I will have to pick it up at the station) I'm thinking of making my own way to EMY station by cab. As a side point would anyone know the cost of a cab from central SF to EMY?

My main question is if I do end up booking the bus connection - do they let me on the bus without my ticket as I assume that I have to collect the ticket at the station as I have to in Chicago for the EB route? Is this what would normally happen?

Also I originally booked the EB in a roomette two of us travelling but have upgraded it to a bedroom. I'm thinking of doing the same on the CZ but it's an extra $283 ($539 for roomette and $822 for bedroom) do you think its worth the extra for upgrade?

Sorry for such a long post but I'm just mid planning the trip and want to cover everything off so I can just sit back and wait for the trip.

Thanks
I can only answer a few of your questions: first, the thruway bus to Emeryville leaves from Amtrak's Ferry building "station", which, although being only a bus station, is fully staffed, so you could pick up your tickets there. Second, at the time you pick up your EB tickets in Chicago, you also pick up your CZ tickets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Catching the bus is easy going from Emeryville to SF, you get off the train, walk through the station building and out to the curb in front of the building to board the bus. Going the other way, SF to EMY, might be more confusing as to where to catch the bus. But EMY to SF couldn't be easier or more convienent.

As for picking up the ticket for the bus, you must book that ticket as part of your reservation for the CZ. You can't just buy a ticket for the bus. Therefore, when you pick up the ticket to ride the CZ, you'll also receive the ticket for the bus at the same time. You'll turn in the CZ ticket when you board that train and the bus ticket when you board the bus.

Personally, I can't think of an easier or cheaper way to get to SF from EMY, than by the Thruway Bus. I just rode that bus yesterday and it couldn't have been easier. I highly recommend this over trying to get a cab from EMY.

Thanks
My opinion is to book the roomette and not a bedroom because the price is much higher. OK you have your private toilette and more space. I would even recommend a roomette on the lower level where you have all facilities handy like 3 toilets, large shower, luggage rack.

BTW your roomette price is quite high, booking well in advance could have given you a price of 254$ for a roomette.

for some almost real impressions on both accomodations and other views of a Superliner see my website ( Quicktime required)

The buses from Emeryville to SF are railroad-operated buses. It is all part of a regular plan that works every day and has for years. San Francisco is not approachable by rail from the DIRECT east, trains passengers have been transferring to buses for over a century. Actually, I think a ferry boat used to be used, from Oakland (a larger city than Emeryville) over to SF. But that was years ago.

As Alan said above it is the easiest and simplest possible way...they are waiting for you and expectinig you to do that. Most people will e doing exactly the same thing. And---very important--- be sure it is part of your ticket. Some agents may not know to book that for you. Call their attention to it. It will be a separate stub all by itself which looks just like the other tickets in your itinerary.

The return from SF to Emervyille is easy enough. You will note there are several destinations in SF where you can pcik up the bus. You have to make your rservations accordingly(i.e. which stop you will use in SF) . Just be there witi your luggage early. My last trip to SF I stayed near Fishermans Wharf, My stop was, specificlaly, Pier 39-- so it was easy to find the pier number for the bus back to the eastbound train. .

I am always in favor of two people using a bedroom, not a roomette. You are investing in your happiness. Your present happiness (and comfort level) while on the train, and the future happiness of your memories. Hopefully you will remember your comfort level longer than you will remember a couple of hundred dolalrs more spent. I think it is worth it for two.

Hello Bill,

I am leaving Sat and I am arriving in Emeryville next week. Is there a way to book the bus tickets to SF from an intermeadiate station ie Seattle ,Chicago,or must I book them before I leave? Why the heck don`t they sell tickets at Emeryville for the bus?

On the way home I have to be in Emeryville from SF at 630 Am or so is there a bus from SF early enough to get there? I will be near Pratt St Station in SF I believe. Many thanks,

Buildy

The buses from Emeryville to SF are railroad-operated buses. It is all part of a regular plan that works every day and has for years. San Francisco is not approachable by rail from the DIRECT east, trains passengers have been transferring to buses for over a century. Actually, I think a ferry boat used to be used, from Oakland (a larger city than Emeryville) over to SF. But that was years ago.
As Alan said above it is the easiest and simplest possible way...they are waiting for you and expectinig you to do that. Most people will e doing exactly the same thing. And---very important--- be sure it is part of your ticket. Some agents may not know to book that for you. Call their attention to it. It will be a separate stub all by itself which looks just like the other tickets in your itinerary.

The return from SF to Emervyille is easy enough. You will note there are several destinations in SF where you can pcik up the bus. You have to make your rservations accordingly(i.e. which stop you will use in SF) . Just be there witi your luggage early. My last trip to SF I stayed near Fishermans Wharf, My stop was, specificlaly, Pier 39-- so it was easy to find the pier number for the bus back to the eastbound train. .

I am always in favor of two people using a bedroom, not a roomette. You are investing in your happiness. Your present happiness (and comfort level) while on the train, and the future happiness of your memories. Hopefully you will remember your comfort level longer than you will remember a couple of hundred dolalrs more spent. I think it is worth it for two.

Hello Bill,
I am leaving Sat and I am arriving in Emeryville next week. Is there a way to book the bus tickets to SF from an intermeadiate station ie Seattle ,Chicago,or must I book them before I leave? Why the heck don`t they sell tickets at Emeryville for the bus?

On the way home I have to be in Emeryville from SF at 630 Am or so is there a bus from SF early enough to get there? I will be near Pratt St Station in SF I believe. Many thanks,

Buildy

Just book the trip by calling 1-800-USA-RAIL from anywhere. You don't have to be in any particular city.

Just reserve it all at once, the bus transfer as well as the train.

Why you can't buy a ticket in Emvy for the bus to Sf--not sure--guess to keep locals from riding it and screwing real train passengers out of a seat.Something llike that. The space is reserved in a sense(not specific seat numbers) , they are counting on a specific number of people to be on the bus, per their pre-arranged itineraries.

You mention needing to be in Emvy at 6.30a.m. on your return. Is that just to be sure and make the train? No worry, just board the buses at any of the several stations in SF. Those buses exist for no other purpsoe than to take people back and forth over the water between Sf and Emvy.They will wait for the train, the train will wait for them. No way is that train going to leave for Chicago and leave behind a rail sponsored bus stranded in traffic somewhere. It will wait.

If you have some specific personal reason to get there at 6:30 , I know nothing about SF's buses. For that I guess a cab would be best.

Talk to Amtrak. See which stop in SF from the train-buses works best for you and book accordingly, unless you have some personal agenda not to, on your return.

This brings up a question: isn't there a law, at least in California, that Amtrak can only sell thruway bus tickets in conjunction with a train ticket or something like that?

If you try to book just the bus part of the trip you will get this message:

What "Book With Train" Means 

In certain circumstances, state law requires that trips booked on Amtrak.com include at least one segment where you travel by train (rather than by Thruway bus).

If you select a segment marked with the text "Book With Train", you must also select at least one other segment of your trip where you travel by train.
This is from the Amtrak reservation website for Amtrak buses in california. It may also apply in other states.

Thanks for the helpful info,I`ll call Amtrak Thurs or Fri and see what they recommend. I`ve already booked the trip,sans bus... If the bus stops at the Pratt. St. trolley station,our hotel is only two blocks away.

Buildy

The bus must be booked with the train ticket, because the bus companies complained that the trains would cost them business. So it is a law that state funds cannot be used for Amtrak buses, unless all riders are connection to/from a train.

Technically you could still buy your ticket in Emeryville, simply by showing your ticket stub. However, the problem is that if there is a line at the ticket window, the bus will probably leave before you can buy said ticket.

As for stops, the bus makes four stops within San Francisco proper. The Amtrak "station" at the Ferry Building on Embarcadero, 4th & Market (The shopping center), Cal Train, and Fishermans Wharf.

The bus also picks people up at those 4 places each morning, and arrives in time for the departure of the train. Note: You must already have your Amtrak bus ticket to board those buses, so unless you board at the Ferry Building you will have to pick up those tickets somewhere else.

This brings up a question: isn't there a law, at least in California, that Amtrak can only sell thruway bus tickets in conjunction with a train ticket or something like that?
It's actually an Assembly Bill (has the same effect though) and not a statute. It was done to keep Greyhound happy.

"Technically you could still buy your ticket in Emeryville, simply by showing your ticket stub. However, the problem is that if there is a line at the ticket window, the bus will probably leave before you can buy said ticket."

Can I purchase this bus ticket at say,Chicago or Seattle then,as it is too late for Amtrak to mail them to me at this point?

I can show them my tickets for the Coast Starlight and CZ.

What is my best course of action at this point?

Thanks Again,

Buildy

"Technically you could still buy your ticket in Emeryville, simply by showing your ticket stub. However, the problem is that if there is a line at the ticket window, the bus will probably leave before you can buy said ticket."
Can I purchase this bus ticket at say,Chicago or Seattle then,as it is too late for Amtrak to mail them to me at this point?

I can show them my tickets for the Coast Starlight and CZ.

What is my best course of action at this point?

Thanks Again,

Buildy
As I said, call Amtrak, tell them you want to add it to your reservation. I did this a few months ago without problem OR cost. Then, you can pick them up with the rest of your tickets in Chicago.

"As I said, call Amtrak, tell them you want to add it to your reservation. I did this a few months ago without problem OR cost. Then, you can pick them up with the rest of your tickets in Chicago."

Thanks, I called Amtrak-they are charging us $25.00 round trip for the bus for the wife and I,because it`s less than 3 days until my trip,according to the agent.

I can pick up the bus tickets in Chicago and pay for them there....

Note: You must already have your Amtrak bus ticket to board those buses, so unless you board at the Ferry Building you will have to pick up those tickets somewhere else.
In practice, this may not be necessary. Last Sunday I caught the bus from the Ferry Building to Stockton to catch train to Merced. The agent at the ticket office at the Ferry Building station (which is NOT in the Ferry Building, but south of it) shut down with me in sight of the window, while calling my son to confirm that he could meet me. I went out to the bus and explained the situation to the driver. He held my driver's licence and walked to the ticket counter in Oakland with me.

The point that you must be connecting to/from a train is absolute, however. I have heard that quite a few tickets are sold from Los Angeles to Wasco by people actually going to Bakersfield so then can ride the Amtrak bus. Wasco is the first stop the train makes north of Bakersfield.

I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread, once again info on this forum has saved my behind! I'll be taking the CZ from EMY-DEN in September after staying in Fisherman's Wharf for a couple of nights. I didn't even think about needing bus tickets...we would've been left at the Pier 39 stop at 5:55 AM panicking and of course I'd be the goat. :lol:

Anyway, I called Amtrak as was suggested and added the bus service to my reservation. They will also mail me the tickets free of charge since the Pier 39 stop isn't manned. This will work out better since it won't cut into our sightseeing time having to go to the Ferry Building and getting our tickets beforehand. Thanks for the info everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back