Empire Service suspension 11/12/23

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not Attach LSL cars onto rear of Vermonter at NYP. Remove those cars from Vermonter at Springfield and attach onto 449 ? No additional T&E needed. Another diesel loco would be needed Hew haven - SPG.

Reverse more difficult either hold 417 at SPG or if very later add onto 479 at SPG. Since no train work at ALB a stop of just 10 minutes there to make up the normal hour+ wait for 448.l
Given the arrangement of tracks at Springfield I don't think that would not be as easy as it sounds and might require a switch engine, which they don't have presently at SPG. 449 I believe comes in on track 2 (the CSX main) or perhaps 2A, the Vermonter would be on 4, 6, or 8 facing on the opposite direction so you would have to pull cars off of the rear of the Vermonter and somehow get them on the rear of 449, and they would end up in the opposite order as they would normally be, unless you took them around the wye.

We took Maple Leaf 64 from Syracuse to Albany yesterday. It was the most sparsely populated train I have seen in awhile. Leaving Syracuse I counted a total of 45 people in the three coaches that were open, including about six of us who boarded there. Even with BC added in, I doubt there were more than 55 aboard for the entire run to Albany. Granted it was a Tuesday in mid-November, but I'm guessing some NYC-bound travelers, hearing about the line closure, opted to postpone or find another way.

On the plus side, the crew was friendly and helpful, the AM2 coaches were spacious and comfortable, and the train was right on time.

Should bring up the issue, why didn't or couldn't Amtrak run to GCT if they have some qualified crews and modifying 3rd rail shoes beams is just a few hours in the shop.

That's the thing. You don't have that many crews qualified to GCT and some of the remaining people are on different routes., where other people also my have lost their qualification.

You'd need Metro-North pilots until you can familiarize the Amtrak crews with the territory.

Given the arrangement of tracks at Springfield I don't think that would not be as easy as it sounds and might require a switch engine, which they don't have presently at SPG. 449 I believe comes in on track 2 (the CSX main) or perhaps 2A, the Vermonter would be on 4, 6, or 8 facing on the opposite direction so you would have to pull cars off of the rear of the Vermonter and somehow get them on the rear of 449, and they would end up in the opposite order as they would normally be, unless you took them around the wye.
Lake Shore comes in on track 2. 2A is mainly used for parking 400 series sets - sometimes a 400 series train will board from 2A. Would agree this would not be worth it and you’d end up severely delaying the involved trains. To use the wye mid day you’re at the mercy of the CSX dispatcher.

Last edited:
Back