Empire Builder

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RailFanLNK

Conductor
Hello All,

It looks as though I'm going to have to move a trip on the EB back to 2008. Between traveling alot this year and taking the CZ to GSC again this year in July, its just not leaving enough funds to take the EB to Seattle this year. I plan on going from LNK to CHI to SEA to ESM (Essex Montana) to CHI to LNK. I had already noticed the EB sold out in October on certain days. (roomettes that is) So, if I want to book 13 months ahead, when would be the best time to go? Also, can you book a reservation and then change the reservation by using your AGR points to pay for one of the roomettes? It would give me another year to acquire AGR points and I'm sitting at 21,000 right now, if I cashed in all my points and keep acquiring them through 2007, I would probably have enough to get at least a seat fare on the way back. How does all this work? What are your thoughts?

Hello All,It looks as though I'm going to have to move a trip on the EB back to 2008. Between traveling alot this year and taking the CZ to GSC again this year in July, its just not leaving enough funds to take the EB to Seattle this year. I plan on going from LNK to CHI to SEA to ESM (Essex Montana) to CHI to LNK. I had already noticed the EB sold out in October on certain days. (roomettes that is) So, if I want to book 13 months ahead, when would be the best time to go? Also, can you book a reservation and then change the reservation by using your AGR points to pay for one of the roomettes? It would give me another year to acquire AGR points and I'm sitting at 21,000 right now, if I cashed in all my points and keep acquiring them through 2007, I would probably have enough to get at least a seat fare on the way back. How does all this work? What are your thoughts?
RR,

First, one can't book 13 months in advance, the maximum is 11 months out.

Next, I don't believe that AGR can take a paid roomette and convert it to an AGR redemption. I'm also not sure why you would want to do that, since you already have enough points to book the roomette one way, once you can do so.

Finally, I'm also not sure just how this is all going to work out for you. Amtrak seems to want to route you going westbound through Sacramento, then up the Coast Starlight to the bus at Klamath Falls, to the EB. Coming back there seems to be no itinerary listed in the system. So I don't know if Guest Rewards will allow you to go through Chicago on one award. You might have to pay to get from LNK to Chicago, then use the award to ride the EB. And of course this will mean overnighting in Chicago both ways, so make sure that you are planning on that expense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back