Empire Builder to Montana - Should I be worried?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scutterbear

Train Attendant
I'm getting ready in a couple of weeks to take the Empire Builder from Memphis, TN to Whitefish, MT.

I've been reading some of the threads on all the trouble that the EB has been having this past several months. EEEEKK!

LOL, should I be worried?

I'll probably be traveling around the 15th(ish) of March and will stay til about the second week in April and then head back home. I realize it's pretty much up to what the weather does. I'm just wondering if you folks would advise that I should go into the trip expecting long delays?

Also........

I'm probably going to get a sleeper at least from Chicago to Montana. I might try to be brave in coach for the 10 trip from MEM to CHI. :eek: )

So I was wondering, what is the difference in train #8 and #28? Is there any difference really, where a sleeper is concerned? I would kind of prefer a sleeper on the lower level since I'm a smoker and it would make it easier getting off the train for the smoke breaks.

And one more question if I may...........

Is there any difference in price if I book online vs. calling for a reservation? I was just going to book online. Just wondering if it's better to book on the phone.

I can tell the rates are going up. I checked some dates last week and they were around $250ish for coach and this week they are $299.

I'm getting ready in a couple of weeks to take the Empire Builder from Memphis, TN to Whitefish, MT.

I've been reading some of the threads on all the trouble that the EB has been having this past several months. EEEEKK!

I'll probably be traveling around the 15th(ish) of March and will stay til about the second week in April and then head back home. I realize it's pretty much up to what the weather does. I'm just wondering if you folks would advise that I should go into the trip expecting long delays?
I can't even say anything about tomorrow's train. All I can say is if you don't have to be there at a certain time, don't worry about it!

I'm probably going to get a sleeper at least from Chicago to Montana. I might try to be brave in coach for the 10 trip from MEM to CHI. :eek: )So I was wondering, what is the difference in train #8 and #28? Is there any difference really, where a sleeper is concerned? I would kind of prefer a sleeper on the lower level since I'm a smoker and it would make it easier getting off the train for the smoke breaks.
The only difference between "train" #8 and "train" #28 is the location of the cars!
rolleyes.gif
"Train" #8 goes from Seattle to Chicago, and "train" #28 goes from Portland to Chicago. However, between Spokane, WA and Chicago, they are combined with #8's sleepers and the dining car up front and #28's sleeper on the back.

Is there any difference in price if I book online vs. calling for a reservation? I was just going to book online. Just wondering if it's better to book on the phone.
I can tell the rates are going up. I checked some dates last week and they were around $250ish for coach and this week they are $299.
No difference in price online vs by phone. They are exactly the same. And as you saw, the price will only go up, so book ASAP!
ohmy.gif

Since we have reservations for the #7 on Monday, I called Amtrak this morning. She told me they are not taking ANY Empire Builder bookings through Thursday of this week due to the service disruptions. She told that, right now, the #7 is terminating in MSP; no other westbound transportation is being provided...

Also........

I'm probably going to get a sleeper at least from Chicago to Montana. I might try to be brave in coach for the 10 trip from MEM to CHI. :eek: )

So I was wondering, what is the difference in train #8 and #28? Is there any difference really, where a sleeper is concerned? I would kind of prefer a sleeper on the lower level since I'm a smoker and it would make it easier getting off the train for the smoke breaks.

And one more question if I may...........

I would book your trip ASAP! You're travelling around Spring Break and prices will only go up. I would not worry too much about your trip on the Empire Builder. I'm not saying something may not happen, but as long as you have a ticket and you're on your way Amtrak will get you there. Just don't plan anything important the day of or the day after your arrival.

No, there is no difference between booking online or on the phone.

There is no difference between train 7 and 27 or 8 and 28. The train simply splits in Spokane, one going to Seattle, one going to Portland. If you are booked on train 27/28, you'll be on the very rear sleeper. If you're booked on train 7/8, your sleeper will be near the front. I would book whichever is cheapest. There is no way to tell if you'll be on the upper or lower levels. After you book you can certainly ask about it on the phone and see if they can switch you. Sometimes it may be a higher price, sometimes not. If it is, simply ask again on the day of departure. Remember that in Chicago, you'll be entitled to use the Metropolitan Lounge. They'll have free drinks and snacks and a nicer place to wait during your layover in Chicago.

Hope you have a good trip!

...but as long as you have a ticket and you're on your way Amtrak will get you there...
Not true. Folks booked on the EB going to SEA are NOT getting there. Amtrak says the #7 is terminating in MSP with NO alternative transportation to the west...

Not true. Folks booked on the EB going to SEA are NOT getting there. Amtrak says the #7 is terminating in MSP with NO alternative transportation to the west...
Not getting there today, but if your plans are flexible you'll get there eventually.

Empire Builder cancellations this winter:

Dec. 15

Dec. 31

Jan. 1

Jan. 2

Feb. 2

Feb. 26

Feb. 27

Feb. 28

Mar. 1 (today)

Nov. 1 to Mar. 1: 121 days. Nine cancellations in 121 days is a 7.4% cancellation rate. That means that even in a bad winter like this one, you will still make it to your destination as planned 12 out of 13 times (although you have a better chance, probably around 15-20%, of getting put on a bus for part of the journey). That's not great, but not enough to convince me to quit riding Amtrak in the winter.

I haven't heard when EB service will resume - I expect Amtrak is waiting to hear from BNSF, and BNSF is trying to move a backlog of freights through still-crappy weather conditions before letting EB service resume - but I would be surprised if trains are not running by Thursday.

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Amtrak is running buses between Seattle, Portland, Spokane and Whitefish, MT and coaches only, with a lounge car, between Chicago and Minneapolis St. Paul.

It is expected and hoped that, on Thursday, #7, #8 & #28 will depart on-time utilizing it's normal superliner equipment.

So if I had a sleeper from CHI to SEA and #7 terminated in MSP what would Amtrak do for me? :eek:hboy:

So if I had a sleeper from CHI to SEA and #7 terminated in MSP what would Amtrak do for me? :eek:hboy:
Refund or rebooking on the first train that does go through with availability.

I come across on the CZ which left on Sunday from CHI and arrived in Reno this morning. On that train were quite a few people who were booked on Sunday's EB, including the guy in the roomette next to me, who were placed on the CZ all the way across and then will travel north to Seattle tonight. This was done with no extra charge to my neighbor in the next roomette. I imagine most others got the same deal.

I come across on the CZ which left on Sunday from CHI and arrived in Reno this morning. On that train were quite a few people who were booked on Sunday's EB, including the guy in the roomette next to me, who were placed on the CZ all the way across and then will travel north to Seattle tonight. This was done with no extra charge to my neighbor in the next roomette. I imagine most others got the same deal.
Thanks to a mudslide near Kelso, WA, this arrangement is going to mean a bustitution north of Portland, probably. Bet they'll love that. :blush:

If you have a sleeper on a canceled train will Amtrak honor the bucket price of that

ticket if the next days train is at the highest price ?

Trainfan

I also have a similar question. My family is supposed to have a family bedroom on Saturday's Amtrak #8/28 from MSP to CHI. It sounds like Amtrak for the last several days is originating the train from MSP, instead of the west coast due to a whole multitude of problems. I gather these shorter run train sets do not include a sleeper or diner car. Bummer. I got to assume I will be refunded for the sleeper accommodations, right? So... are we supposed to bring our own food on the train to eat at our coach seats? Hopefully there ARE coach seats for us.

Assuming Amtrak sticks with their plan to restore service starting tomorrow (Thursday), there should be a full #8 trainset (with sleepers) in MSP on Saturday morning. Of course, there is a pretty good chance (given lingering BNSF freight congestion) that the train will be quite late, whereas a MSP-CHI stub train would almost certainly depart on schedule.

News article with Amtrak's tentative plans to resume service:

http://www.havredailynews.com/cms/news/local_headlines/story-219363.html

Mark

Scutterbear,

Don't be worried. Be afraid. Be very afraid. :cool:

Amtrak won't leave you to freeze to death, but they might well cancel a train with no alternate means of transportation. That leaves you where you are, on your own, to get home. Certainly Amtrak will make refunds, but that still leaves you wherever you are, on your own, to get home. :lol:

I don't know who's trying to justify what, but a cancelled train leaves you stuck right where you are, to figure out how to get to the next place.

From this point on, I'll never book a trip west of Chicago on any train north of, say Cuba, between October 1 and July 1. I say July 1, 'cuz I had the California Zephyr calcelled with no alternate means of transportation in the middle of June due to flooding in Iowa. Got all my money back, but I had to fly. <_<

If you have a sleeper on a canceled train will Amtrak honor the bucket price of that

ticket if the next days train is at the highest price ?

Trainfan
Yes, generally Amtrak would honor the bucket price that you originally had on the cancelled train if indeed there is room for you to travel on the next day and the train in question is running. If you're trying to move the date a few weeks away, probably not.

One other thing to be aware of, if you used a discount on the railfare, depending on just what's being changed you may have to apply after the fact with customer service to get that discount refunded to you. The agent's apparently are unable to override the 3 day rule when rebooking the trip.

From this point on, I'll never book a trip west of Chicago on any train north of, say Cuba, between July 1 and October 1. I say

July 1, 'cuz I had the California Zephyr calcelled with no alternate means of transportation in the middle of June due to flooding in Iowa. Got all my money back, but I had to fly. <_<
Hmm, I remember Christmas 2009, when Mrs. Ispolkom and I had to travel from Minot to St. Paul. What with the 30" of snow, we would have been out of luck if we had flown Delta, since the airport was closed for 3-4 days. We would have been out of luck if we had driven from the Twin Cities, like my brother, who was delayed for days until they opened the highways east. The Empire Builder, on the other hand, was only 45 minutes late, though we lost more time through the night, bucking 4-5 foot snowdrifts.

It's not all one way. Sometimes the train is the most reliable means of transportation.

I notice that YouTube has a nice recent film of a rotary plow at work on a BNSF branch in No. Dak.:

Yep, even with the absolutely horrible month the Empire Builder has had, I still have faith ... especially in comparison with the airlines.

I was in Minneapolis over President's Day weekend -- took Amtrak out, and planned to fly back. But then a blizzard hit Minnesota, and on my departure day nearly every flight out of the Twin Cities was cancelled. So I called Amtrak and got a roomette on the Builder, and made it out. It was pretty much the only thing running that day.

(Granted, the trip included 6-1/2 hours on a bus because of a freight derailment in North Dakota, but still ... I made it!)

From this point on, I'll never book a trip west of Chicago on any train north of, say Cuba, between July 1 and October 1. I say

July 1, 'cuz I had the California Zephyr calcelled with no alternate means of transportation in the middle of June due to flooding in Iowa. Got all my money back, but I had to fly. <_<
Hmm, I remember Christmas 2009, when Mrs. Ispolkom and I had to travel from Minot to St. Paul. What with the 30" of snow, we would have been out of luck if we had flown Delta, since the airport was closed for 3-4 days. We would have been out of luck if we had driven from the Twin Cities, like my brother, who was delayed for days until they opened the highways east. The Empire Builder, on the other hand, was only 45 minutes late, though we lost more time through the night, bucking 4-5 foot snowdrifts.

It's not all one way. Sometimes the train is the most reliable means of transportation.

I notice that YouTube has a nice recent film of a rotary plow at work on a BNSF branch in No. Dak.:

Thanks for the link to the rotary doing its work. :hi: In my post I was engaging in a little hyperbole, and I even mis-typed the dates. :lol: Should have read October 1 through July 1.

In truth, I haven't given up on Amtrak. :cool: It's just that there have been very few days since the beginning of January that our trip this fall would have made it all the way through without a missed connection. The vast majority of missed connections were in Chicago, getting off The Empire Builder (8) and getting on the Lake Shore Limited (48) the same day. :eek:hboy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back