Empire Builder Timekeeping Struggles

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My BNSF local contacts say they are winding up track work on certain parts of the Hi-Line, although they point out that more work is still scheduled to be done by mid-october. Also, additional Ag trains will likely come into the mix in October, so the amount of traffic on the Hi-Line will not decrease

But I do agree, running only an hour or so late into both final destinations is much improved over what most of the Summer looked like. I see also that Amtrak will be going back to the "normal 3:55 PM arrival time in CHI after the first week in October. Given the realities of what is still happening on this route I do not think there is much chance that #8/28 can meet that arrival time. But we shall see.

My BNSF local contacts say they are winding up track work on certain parts of the Hi-Line, although they point out that more work is still scheduled to be done by mid-october. Also, additional Ag trains will likely come into the mix in October, so the amount of traffic on the Hi-Line will not decrease

But I do agree, running only an hour or so late into both final destinations is much improved over what most of the Summer looked like. I see also that Amtrak will be going back to the "normal 3:55 PM arrival time in CHI after the first week in October. Given the realities of what is still happening on this route I do not think there is much chance that #8/28 can meet that arrival time. But we shall see.
Things are looking much, much better in both directions. I'm more optimistic than I was a few weeks ago. I head out on my great Empire Builder excursion a week from Tuesday on #7 departing from CUS and return on October 2, leaving SEA on #8 on the 30th. There's definitely a chance now that I meet my connection back to Michigan, where I thought there was no chance of such not long ago.

Oh, well. Another BNSF Derailment this AM in NW MT and another 8 hour delay for 7/27 getting into SEA and PDX, which will mean a likely 4-5 hour delay in departure tonight from those two terminals, which of course will likely mean a 6-8 hour delay in arrival in CHI two days hence. Sigh.

Is it my imagination or have there been more derailments on the Hi-Line this Summer than normal? We actually had about a week of "normal" delays and even close to on time (with that extra hour built in) performance for the EB. C'est La Vie'

Gosh, I hope not. The BNSF employees I know in Whitefish (big crew change venue) are long time railroaders who know what they are doing.

Interesting, that when I go onto the BNSF Service Advisory page there is no mention of this issue, yet there was a 7 hour delay in NW Montana, due to a derailment, according to the locals.

Today's #7 arrival in SEA was just under 8 hours late. Amtrak shows a departure just under 4 hours behind schedule. We shall see. That would mean turning the train around in a little over 2 hours!

Last edited by a moderator:
As of today (9/29) just about all of BNSF's major track work on the Hi-Line is wrapped up for this season (still some work going on in the Kootenai for another couple of weeks though). That does not mean we will see on time Empire Builders though according to my local BNSF contacts. They fully expect up to 2 hour delays to continue along the Hi-Line for the foreseeable future due to heavy traffic on that route. It appears Amtrak will shift back to the "old" arrival time on 10/4 into CHI (3:55PM), which will likely mean average arrival times between 5 and 6 PM each day.

As of today (9/29) just about all of BNSF's major track work on the Hi-Line is wrapped up for this season (still some work going on in the Kootenai for another couple of weeks though). That does not mean we will see on time Empire Builders though according to my local BNSF contacts. They fully expect up to 2 hour delays to continue along the Hi-Line for the foreseeable future due to heavy traffic on that route. It appears Amtrak will shift back to the "old" arrival time on 10/4 into CHI (3:55PM), which will likely mean average arrival times between 5 and 6 PM each day.
I arrived in Seattle on Thursday 8 minutes late. There wasn’t much track work at all throughout the entire route of #7 from Chicago! Here’s hoping for the same success on my return trip on #8 tomorrow!

A most fortunate ride for you-bravo! It's now going to be mostly about the amount of freight traffic and weather on the Hi-Line for this route over the next 6 months, until the next construction/maintenance season begins.

A hiccup this AM, #8, jus outside of MSP is running 3 hours behind after doing very well over the Hi-Line. Apparently some issue in the MSP area.
Mechanical issue in the engine was the issue on that train.
I’m keeping my fingers crossed for today, we’re 30 minutes late in MSP.

Anyone who wants a photo op, we have a Cascades engine deadheading on this train. If you can’t get out to see our train, I’ve included a picture I took in Havre.

IMG_0236.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
So much for a timely train into Chicago! We got stuck next to a broken down freight and have to back up to our crew can get them up and running again. Who knows how long this will take as now we’re over two hours behind schedule.

I see the EB lost about 2 hours due to the freight issue south of MSP. You might be able to make up a small portion of that time on the rest of the trip. My guess is 90 to 120 minutes late into CHI this evening.

My connection is toast. Weird thing is, the first indication that it was, I received an email shortly after departing WDL which included a replacement ticket for tomorrow from Chicago to Holland. I’ve not heard of that happening before. I still have to go to Passenger Services to get the rest of my overnight itinerary but at least I had a good heads up as to what the situation was. This will be my third hotel stay due to a missed connection, one in 2008 due to EB lateness and one in 2015 with a delayed Texas Eagle.

Sounded like a tight connection. Hopefully overnight in a hotel room will be some compensation. I now only try to connect with the LSL, as the other LD trains going East or South just do not allow sufficient time for frequent delays that occur on Eastbound EBs, which appear to be fairly normal. I wonder if the track work on CP Rail is close to wrapping up (they were supposed to be finished after tomorrow). It looks like there is still a lot of congestion on that portion of the route. BNSF continues to say that the 1-2 hour delays on the Hi-Line will continue due to heavy freight traffic throughout most of the winter season.

I didn’t see any track work on the entire route except a bit west of Glacier.

If we hadn’t been stuck by that broken down freight my connection would’ve easily been made.

I ended up being put up at the South Loop Hotel. It’s kinda crappy and extremely noisy outside even at 11:30 at night but it’s just one night. I probably will upgrade my ticket from coach to business class to utilize the metropolitan lounge and go upstairs and snooze a bit if tired.

According to BNSF the only significant track work still ongoing on their portion of the route was on the Kootenai Sub. Sorry about the hotel stay. I know it is Amtrak's choice on the hotels, but when I stay in Chi-town I try to stay at the Palmer House or the Silver Smith.

Good idea about Biz class, normally worth the extra few bucks.

The EB schedule reverts to the 3:55 PM arrival time in CHI beginning 10/4. CP Rail still has a few items on their docket that are not finished yet. We shall see how well the timekeeping works.

According to BNSF the only significant track work still ongoing on their portion of the route was on the Kootenai Sub. Sorry about the hotel stay. I know it is Amtrak's choice on the hotels, but when I stay in Chi-town I try to stay at the Palmer House or the Silver Smith.

The EB schedule reverts to the 3:55 PM arrival time in CHI beginning 10/4. CP Rail still has a few items on their docket that are not finished yet. We shall see how well the timekeeping works.
I think Amtrak may have had a limited choice of hotels because most workers are on strike. The other times I’ve been put up I stayed at the Inn of Chicago (December, 2008) and Swisshotel (November, 2015).

I am now on the train I was supposed to be on last night but it’s not all bad as I’ve gotten to know the conductor who is on this train from riding with him many times in the past.

One thing that may effect timekeeping on the Empire Builder is the enforcement of PTC. I remember hearing announcements throughout my trip from Seattle saying they had to stop the train to fill out PTC paperwork. We were 15 minutes late out of Chicago on this train because of PTC. The PTC requirement went into effect on October 1.

I think Amtrak may have had a limited choice of hotels because most workers are on strike. The other times I’ve been put up I stayed at the Inn of Chicago (December, 2008) and Swisshotel (November, 2015).

I am now on the train I was supposed to be on last night but it’s not all bad as I’ve gotten to know the conductor who is on this train from riding with him many times in the past.

One thing that may effect timekeeping on the Empire Builder is the enforcement of PTC. I remember hearing announcements throughout my trip from Seattle saying they had to stop the train to fill out PTC paperwork. We were 15 minutes late out of Chicago on this train because of PTC. The PTC requirement went into effect on October 1.
It's always about the paperwork for the government!

The forecast for NW MT for the next several days at least is for below normal temperatures and a chance for showers. Likely some snow above 6000 feet. It looks like things are settling down to the usual 1-2 hour delays for the EBs along the Hi-Line due to freight congestion now, with some of the time made up towards the later part of the trek Eastbound.

I’m at school now. Suitcase is packed and in the trunk. After school drive to union station and then Metra to O’Hare transfer. United to Portland. Tomorrow enjoy Portland before boarding 28.
Can I fly in to O'Hare & take Metra to Union Station to connect to Amtrak? what does that entail?

Back