Empire Builder Through North Dakota 18 - 19 May

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cav1865

Train Attendant
My wife and I took Empire Builder (EB) train 8 from Malta, MT to Chicago, IL on 18 - 19 May 2011. I carried a Garmin GPS device to record train speeds and stopping times. EB was on-time at Malta. From Malta to Williston, ND, 218 miles, average moving speed 64 mph. Lost 90 minutes in Williston waiting for 6 BNSF freight trains to pass. Remember, freight trains have priority. Williston to Fargo, ND, 400 track miles, did not take Surrey Cutoff but went through Devils Lake, Rugby, and Grand Forks. We crossed the flooded Churchs Ferry bridge at 1 a.m. 19 May. Full moon shined on the waters to show water still very high, almost to rails. Train crept along at 5 mph on this part of the rails at Devils Lake. The very rough rails in this part of North Dakota cost more time. You begin to think EB had square wheels, very rough ride to Grand Forks. Average speed on this part of the rail line was only 47 mph. We arrived in Fargo 3 1/2 hours late. Never made up the time. From Fargo to Minneapolis - St. Paul is 243 rail miles. 57 mph average moving speed. We knew we wouldn't make our connection to Capitol Limited that night in Chicago because of delays in North Dakota, but Amtrak held Capitol Limited in Chicago because EB had so many passengers with sleeping car accomodations on Capitol Limited that night. Empire Builder lost more time north of Chicago because of a commuter train in front of us. We finally arrived Chicago 4 hours late. In short North Dakota will cost you about 3 hours delay because of conditions Amtrak can't be held responsible for: freight trains, flooding, and rough rails.

Thanks for sharing this. Hope you still enjoyed your trip.

I just looked at they are now just over 5 hours late! Yikes.

Thanks for sharing this. Hope you still enjoyed your trip.

I just looked at they are now just over 5 hours late! Yikes.
BNSF freight trains use Surrey Cutoff just east of Minot so Amtrak doesn't compete with them east of Minot through Grand Forks. But all freighters pass through Minot, Stanley, Williston, ND. If you can get through this area without stopping or slowing for freighters then you have a good chance of arriving in Chicago somewhat late. Amtrak is under "slow orders" (cannot exceed a set slow speed) at Devils Lake, ND. Amtrak just cannot make up this lost time anywhere past Fargo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back