Empire Builder Summer Blues Started Early this year

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not looking great now for me as the EB is now over 3 hrs late out of Wolf Point and always loses time between Wolf Point and Glasgow. But past Havre I've noticed the tendency is to make up time and lots of it. Powell's and Jake's may be out, though.
Jeff: Could you Rebook on the Starlight or a Later Cascades from PDX-SEA if you're late into PDX? Will probably Cost more but maybe you'd get Lucky and have time for Lunch and hitting Powells which, as we know, is one of the Highlites of Portland!

If need be I will cancel the Cascades and take the Starlight, but as I will be back in Portland in September, when things hopefully will settle down, I can always do it then. Right now I wll do the Starlight only if I will otherwise misconnect with the Cascades.

If need be I will cancel the Cascades and take the Starlight, but as I will be back in Portland in September, when things hopefully will settle down, I can always do it then. Right now I wll do the Starlight only if I will otherwise misconnect with the Cascades.
The Starlite#14 leaves @ 4:15PM, the Current Coach Fare is shown as $43/Arrives SEA @ 8:30PM (if on Time!) Same Coach Fare for the 6:15PM Cascades 508 which Arrives into SEA @ 9:45PM, Im not positive if you have a Low Bucket or are using Points on this Trip but perhaps it would be worth it to have a Good Meal in PDX after a long Nite and then browse Powells @ your Leisure! ;)

Of course if the Marginals signed you and youre Pitching Tomorrow that's another Story! :giggle:

Last edited by a moderator:
If I remember correctly, the locomotives also have a speed control mechanism where brakes are applied automatically if the engineer overspeeds over a certain threshold.
There is a system on the locos like that, however it only applies to the maximum authorized speed for the trains entire run. For example, the top speed for the Empire Builder is 79 MPH, so the computer is set to hit the brakes if the engineer exceeds 83 MPH or goes over 79 MPH for an extended period of time. But if that train just happens to be traveling in a 59 MPH zone, the computer is unaware of that so an engineer could technically go 65 and the computer wouldn't care.

Positive Train Control (PTC) fixes that issue and allows the engine's computer to know what that the maximum authorized speed has changed.

On the Southwest Chief, there are a few places where the train can go 90 MPH. So again, the computer is set for that limit. So when the train is running in a 79 MPH zone, or a 59 MPH zone, or anything less, the computer won't stop the engineer from speeding.

However, as you mentioned, there are logs on the engines that would still catch it. Additionally, it is not uncommon for the host RR to put someone alongside the tracks with a speed gun to try and catch speeding engineers. And unlike a driver in their car, the penalty isn't a ticket. It's suspension and quite possibly a career ending banishment from ever operating an engine again on that host RR's tracks.

So most engineers take great care not to exceed the track speed.

I have an app on my phone that keeps track of speed/time/distance and plots out the changes on a graph. I keep it running when I'm on Amtrak.

The fastest I have seen one of these transcontinental is 82 MPH. I think there is probably some "wiggle room" built in - and realistically, no one is in danger if the train is going 82 instead of 79.

If I remember correctly, the locomotives also have a speed control mechanism where brakes are applied automatically if the engineer overspeeds over a certain threshold.
There is a system on the locos like that, however it only applies to the maximum authorized speed for the trains entire run. For example, the top speed for the Empire Builder is 79 MPH, so the computer is set to hit the brakes if the engineer exceeds 83 MPH or goes over 79 MPH for an extended period of time. But if that train just happens to be traveling in a 59 MPH zone, the computer is unaware of that so an engineer could technically go 65 and the computer wouldn't care.

Positive Train Control (PTC) fixes that issue and allows the engine's computer to know what that the maximum authorized speed has changed.

On the Southwest Chief, there are a few places where the train can go 90 MPH. So again, the computer is set for that limit. So when the train is running in a 79 MPH zone, or a 59 MPH zone, or anything less, the computer won't stop the engineer from speeding.

However, as you mentioned, there are logs on the engines that would still catch it. Additionally, it is not uncommon for the host RR to put someone alongside the tracks with a speed gun to try and catch speeding engineers. And unlike a driver in their car, the penalty isn't a ticket. It's suspension and quite possibly a career ending banishment from ever operating an engine again on that host RR's tracks.

So most engineers take great care not to exceed the track speed.
Yet again - hugely insightful posting... and you answered my question about what I guess is called PTC - and hence my comment w/re GPS and realtime feedback to Omaha (or wherever) - was trying to figure out how the limiter knew what the local limits were... sounds like currently they don't, but will in the near future [noticing the UP has a software position open for the development of PTC].

I have an app on my phone that keeps track of speed/time/distance and plots out the changes on a graph. I keep it running when I'm on Amtrak.
The fastest I have seen one of these transcontinental is 82 MPH. I think there is probably some "wiggle room" built in - and realistically, no one is in danger if the train is going 82 instead of 79.
I'm going to have to try that and see what I see - GPS works fine on the freeways... why shouldn't it work fine on the train freeways??

I regularly use my iPhone App showing our speed on my EB trips and it is good to see how close the train adheres to both the 79 mph top speed and when we have slow orders how accurate that speed is compared to what the Conductor has told us. Although I hate to see us plugging along at 25 mph on the wide open plains of MT and ND sometimes!!!

PS--Looks like it will be a challenging day for both #7's as they head westbound today. The one in eastern ND is already over 3 hours behind, with slow orders ahead of them, and the other in WA is over 2 1/2 hours behind, which likely means a modest delay in the departure of #8 this afternoon. We shall see. Good to see the #8 just leaving MSP was actually only about 1 hour behind. People might even be able to make connections in CHI for this one. :)

Well, I'm not using a normal GPS mapping program, this is called "SpeedView". Definitely a nice app to have to confirm when you are hitting a slow down or just curious about how your route is progressing.

it is not uncommon for the host RR to put someone alongside the tracks with a speed gun to try and catch speeding engineers.
Boy, that sounds like a railfan's dream job. Sit around all day watching for fast trains! :)

I'm going to have to try that and see what I see - GPS works fine on the freeways... why shouldn't it work fine on the train freeways??
We've tried it a couple of times and ours did work fine. We just had to keep it by the window.

The fastest speed I recall seeing was 80 for a few seconds (79 limit), but we didn't watch it continuously.

We've tried it a couple of times and ours did work fine. We just had to keep it by the window.

The fastest speed I recall seeing was 80 for a few seconds (79 limit), but we didn't watch it continuously.
Both- in-car GPS as well as GPS apps on iPhone/Android/Windows phones work fine on Amtrak as far as monitoring speed is concerned.

One thing to note for in-car GPS is, it is designed to "stay on the road", so if your train is passing close to a road, the "car" on the GPS screen will abruptly jump to the road and try following it instead of train tracks. Solution to this is, change the mode on your GPS, if it allows, from "Car" to "Pedestrian" or "Bicycle", then it does not insist on staying on the road, and accurately follows the rail track alignment.

The EB can't cut a break. They were "only" 2 hours behind at Glenview yesterday, then had to sit just north of Union Station for over two hours due to a switch failure--arrrrrgh. So #8 arrived over 4 hours behind. That must have driven the passengers and crew nuts--so close, yet so far away!

:-(

our temperatures in e. washington are to be up around 100 for the first part of the week(not near as hot as in the southwest)and i see havre,mt, as an example, will be in the 90's the coming week. should we expect bnsf heat restrictions?

If the threshold is still 85, then I'd say that's a pretty good chance. I return to Spokane from Seattle tomorrow and it's supposed to be 90 or near it in Seattle. I may experience some heat restrictions on 8 tomorrow. And as it's supposed to be 110 or more in Pasco the first part of next week, I'd say that it's an even bigger certainty for heat restrictions on 28 for that time period.

My BNSF contact in MT says be prepared for Heat Restrictions (85 degrees or higher) many of the summer during the daylight hours along much of the EB route. 60 mph is the normal speed restriction-which means the trains lose about an hour on the schedule for every three hours or so at the slower speed, or about 2-3 hours of delays due to heat during the hottest days (this comment directly from the BNSF management in MT). They plan on a slight break on the construction schedule on 7/4, but do plan on some work 7/5 and 7/6.

An additional update on info from BNSF:

Anyone following the EB's lately will definitely see a pattern: Arrivals in CHI about 1 1/2 to 2 hours late on the weekends and 3-4 hours late during the week days. Lesser delays (of 1-2 hours) arriving into SEA. In speaking with several BNSF engineers this should be a good estimate for the rest of the summer (July thru at least a good part of Sept). The difference being they do less track work on the weekends. Note: This does not include any significant slow orders due to high heat (fyi-forecast for Monday in western MT is upper 90's--ouch).

So anyone making travel plans and needing to build in connections, etc... should be guided by the estimates from the host railroad. Given the actuals over the past couple weeks I would concur with their estimates.

This does not sound like fun, except for more hours on the train. But, I have a connection to the CS from Portland on the 7th, suppose to have a four hour layover, So this should work OK? How would I get to Eugene if EB does not make the connection?

edited to add, My train leaves chicago on the 5th, so I am sure to hit delays?

This does not sound like fun, except for more hours on the train. But, I have a connection to the CS from Portland on the 7th, suppose to have a four hour layover, So this should work OK? How would I get to Eugene if EB does not make the connection?
I have to make the same connection, one day before you. Starting from CHI on 4th, have to connect to southbound CS at PDX on 6th and a missed connection will mess up my plans. Let's see how this goes.

You are in slightly better condition than me since you are heading only upto Eugene. If you miss the connection, Amtrak might put you in a bus or a van for the 110 mile ride, not too bad. I have to go all the way to San Jose, so if I miss connection, I guess I'll have to overnight in PDX.

I have to make the same connection, one day before you. Starting from CHI on 4th, have to connect to southbound CS at PDX on 6th and a missed connection will mess up my plans. Let's see how this goes.

You are in slightly better condition than me since you are heading only upto Eugene. If you miss the connection, Amtrak might put you in a bus or a van for the 110 mile ride, not too bad. I have to go all the way to San Jose, so if I miss connection, I guess I'll have to overnight in PDX.
I would have been on that one, but the LSL is sold out on the 3rd so I am leaving on the 4th.

last year when the eb delays happened, iirc, amtrak stopped guaranteeing the connection between the eb and the cs. we are booked for this connection in early september. if they do this again and you are already booked what would amtrak do?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="JayPea" data-cid="450984" data-time="1372265232"><p>

Sleep???Heck no! I was up at quarter to three this AM, checking the Amtrak status maps first thing! :lol: And I'm not going to take a nap later! I don't want to take a chance on oversleeping and missing the train! :eek: :lol: As for light, about 4-4:30 it begins to lighten up, particularly if the idiots who misforecast our weather here are actually right, as it's supposed to be clear tomorrow morning. I'll keep checking the status maps. This is Amtrak we're talking about so plenty can happen in the next few hours :rolleyes: but as I said before if the same pattern holds, I should get into Portland an hour to hour and a half late, plenty of time to peruse Powell's Bookstore and grab lunch at Jake's Famous Crawfish. I hope! ;) I catch Cascades 516 to Seattle at 2:45 tomorrow afternoon (I think; they've changed the departure time so many times) :rolleyes: but hopefully have plenty of time to do what I wanted to do in Portland first.</p></blockquote>

I just saw Powell's mentioned on FB. There was an HLAA convention in Portland this weekend & one of the ladies posted someone told her to check it out. It's getting positive reviews from her friends. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back