empire builder stops

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smurfmom

Train Attendant
were can I go to find out all the stops on my trip from Seattle to Chicago? I'm wondering how much time for each stops. How much time I have in Chicago were I have to switch trains to the Hiawatha. Do I have to get my own checked bags in Chicago and move them to the train to Milwaukee?

I can't wait.... 19 more days till I leave!!!

The schedule can be found under "routes" on amtrak.com, then "west". The Empire Builder does stop at Milwaukee prior to arriving in Chicago so there is no need to take the Hiawatha.

Most stops are only 3 mins except at Spokane, Shelby, Havre, Minot, and MSP which are 15 min service or crew change stops.
Well, no, not exactly. I think you were aiming for simplification here, and simplification can be a good thing but I think you have stepped over the line.

Look at the timetable. Wide variances in length of stops, especially Spokane. That differs by direction and by whether you are going to Portland or to Seattle.

The small stops which show only one time, and not a separate arrival and departure, can be whatever. Three minutes makes for a good average but it is not written in stone.

The time on timetable is the departure time if it shows one time. Train cannot leave early than it stated on time unless it shows "D". However, always listen to conductor's announcement for any extended stop or making up lost time at service stops.

The smaller the stop, the briefer time that the train sits there. Also, the conductor will tell smokers when they can get off and when there is no time for a smoke. Stops get shorter when the train is behind schedule. That could be more times than not. I'd say the times on the schedule (I had a paper version and checked it frequently) are aspirations, not something to depend on. Only the final stop is likely to be accurate. I took EB westbound and switched routes at Spokane. We rolled into Portland well ahead of schedule. Our Spokane stop was, I think, cut in half due to the train being behind. A the whistle stops (or whatever the current phrase might be), they really only took the time to get waiting passengers aboard and then chugged away. That was one important thing I learned on my round trip. We left on time, arrived ahead of time, but were behind in between.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back