Empire Builder reversing into Seattle King Street Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen some videos that show the Empire Builder going past the station and then reversing into one of the stub tracks at Seattle King Street Station. Why is this done and is this practice still done? Why not just stop at the thru track, unload the passengers, and pull away to the yard?

To me, the stub tracks should only be used by Amtrak Cascades trains to Portland (excluding the 513 that starts its journey in Vancouver, BC) and Coast Starlight while the Amtrak Cascades Vancouver trains and Empire Builder use the thru track.

Yes, this is still done. There is only one through track, so if another train is due, the EB is moved "out of the way."
Just took a look at the Amtrak schedule, and I guess the conflict might be with the Amtrak 513 from Vancouver which is scheduled to arrive half an hour after the Empire Builder is scheduled to arrive (assuming they're on time).

It's too bad the Sounder platforms aren't utilized in such circumstances.

I've seen some videos that show the Empire Builder going past the station and then reversing into one of the stub tracks at Seattle King Street Station. Why is this done and is this practice still done? Why not just stop at the thru track, unload the passengers, and pull away to the yard?

To me, the stub tracks should only be used by Amtrak Cascades trains to Portland (excluding the 513 that starts its journey in Vancouver, BC) and Coast Starlight while the Amtrak Cascades Vancouver trains and Empire Builder use the thru track.
I don't think that the stub track is long enough for the starlight or the cascades sets.

I don't think that the stub track is long enough for the starlight or the cascades sets.
Maybe you're right about the Coast Starlight, but Cascades sets routinely use the stub tracks.

See this shot I took during a Sounders game last summer before it departed to Portland.IMG_20150801_180315046-PANO.jpg

See this shot I took during a Sounders game last summer before it departed to Portland.
attachicon.gif
IMG_20150801_180315046-PANO.jpg

I've seen some videos that show the Empire Builder going past the station and then reversing into one of the stub tracks at Seattle King Street Station. Why is this done and is this practice still done?
Great photo. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe this report from RT&S (with a good photo of the project site) will help:

http://www.rtands.com/index.php/track-maintenance/on-track-maintenance/wsdot-begins-track-signal-improvements-at-king-street-station.html

Construction began March 11 on track and signal improvements at the King Street Station in Seattle, Wash. The work is part of the $50.4-million King Street Station Track Improvements project overseen by the Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT).

The project will extend tracks, install additional turnouts and add a new platform and canopy. In addition, decades-old hand-thrown switches will be replaced by a modern, computerized system, further improving train movement at the station.

The improvements will make it easier for trains to enter and exit the station, which will help reduce delays and make train travel throughout Washington and the entire Amtrak Cascades corridor more convenient.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is good news, I assume the track extensions and new platform are from converting the storage track on the west side of the station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back