Empire Builder questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroCat

Train Attendant
Greetings all! I am in the process of arranging my first Amtrak trip, a round trip from Glenview, Ill to St. Paul, MN on the Empire Builder. As part of my research, I read the FAQs and the First Time Rider Info, which were very helpful. They answered some of my questions, but led to ever more questions (see below). Any answers or advice on the Empire Builder would be appreciated.

This trip is scheduled to take roughly eight hours (outbound is 2:39 PM to 10:31 PM; return is 7:50 AM to 3:12 PM). Based on the times when we will be aboard the train, I think coach class makes the most sense. Is there some reason why a roomette might be desirable on such a trip? I will be traveling with my wife, so there will be two people in my party. Even with the roomette, the cost is still much less than flying. Also, are roomette seats less comfortable than coach seats (because the roomette seats are capable of folding away)?

The train starts in Chicago, and Glenview is the first scheduled stop. It reaches Glenview after about 30 minutes. What are the pros and cons of boarding the train in Chicago as opposed to boarding in Glenview? We could manage either station, but Glenview is more convenient. I know that we cannot check baggage at the Glenview station, but I think we can make due with carry-ons. I have heard that the train is often nearly full when it leaves Chicago. Since no one is likely to get off in Glenview, does this make it more difficult for the conductor to seat two passengers together if we board in Glenview?

How crowded is the observation car on the Empire Builder? I have read several posts that describe the great views in the observation car. How easy is it to find a couple of seats in the observation car? In terms of being a good train passenger, how long should a person linger in the observation car?

For the outbound trip, the online booking systems wants to me to choose between train 7 or 27. These appear to be the same train, with the difference being that some cars end up in Portland and the others go to Seattle. Since I am not going any further than St. Paul, I am surprised that the system wants to decide between them. Are there any advantages of choosing one over the other?

I have read some reports of filthy or non-functioning bathrooms. Is this the common or rare? When traveling coach on the Empire Builder, how difficult is it to find a usable bathroom?

Is it relatively easy to find room for carry-on baggage near your coach seat?

Does it make any difference if I purchase my tickets months in advance or wait until a week in advance or even until the last minute?

Thanks to everyone in advance,

-Astro

First, welcome to the forum, and second, I personally believe you made the best choice in terms of what train to begin riding Amtrak on.

#1: For a trip this short, and especially one in daylight, a sleeper would really be a waste of money, but if it is indeed cheaper than flying, it's always fun to splurge for something way more comfortable, especially on your first trip. Amtrak coach seats are ridiculously comfortable and recline nearly flat, along with leg rests. The seats in a roomette are much wider than coach seats, but can't recline and there are no leg rests, though you always have the chair about two or so feet across from you to rest your feet. The privacy makes for a little better experience and you also get free meals, meaning in your case a free dinner in the dining car. But remember, most of your trip you'll either be eating or in the Sightseer Lounge car.

#2: If there's only two in your party, the car attendant will usually always shift things around to guarantee you're together. In fact, boarding here should be alot easier than in Chicago, since the crowd is way, way smaller, allowing for a faster boarding. The only downside to boarding past Chicago is that, if you're in coach, most of the dinner reservations will already be taken up and you'll end up eating rather late, if at all.

#3: Going through Wisconsin, the lounge car is typically pretty full (usually just the upstairs), so you might have to check back a little later after your first attempt to find a seat, especially two together. The view and experience are well worth it though! The lounge car (and dinner, I guess) really one of the only places in the country where you can sit down next to a group of people from all over the country, even the world, and be practically forced into conversation since there's really nothing else better to do and the nonchalant atmosphere with no regard for time really promotes it. Amtrak lounge cars are the main reason why I ride trains in the first place!

#4: A sleeper in 27 is usually more available and cheaper than booking one in 7. Coach is usually the same price. The physical difference is that the Portland cars are on the rear of the train, with the sleeper in the rear and the Seattle cars are in front, with the diner in the middle, coaches behind that, and sleepers just behing the engines. The entire train looks like this: engine, engine, baggage, trans sleeper, sleeper, sleeper, diner, coach, coach, lounge, coach, coach, sleeper

#5: All bathrooms in sleepers are typically immaculate. Since you're boarding near the starting point, the coach bathrooms should all be pretty clean too, though not as new inside. Coming back east, about a third of the coach bathrooms might be kinda gross. There's four bathrooms in a Superliner coach though, so finding a clean one shouldn't be a problem.

#6: There are pretty giant sized overhead racks the whole length of the coaches and baggage shelves downstairs by the door.

#7: Book your tickets as soon as you possibly can. Amtrak uses bucket pricing, so as seats and rooms fill up, prices get higher. There are no last minute deals

#8: Have a hell of a time!!

Welcome!

An advantage of getting a roomette (even though it a daytime trip) is that meals will be included for BOTH passengers! And also more privacy.

Technically, there are 2 trains, one Chicago to Portland and one Chicago to Seattle, but they operate as one train combined between Chicago to Spokane. Chose the lower fare "train". (The only difference is you'll be in (say) the 3rd car instead of the 6th car.)

Yes, there is plenty of room in the luggage rack above your seat. The Superliner will also have a large luggage rack on the lower level.

Amtrak sells tickets using a bucket system. (That is once a certain number of seats are sold, the fare rises to the next bucket.) Thus, it is always better to book sooner than later.

I wouldn't say the seats in a roomette recline. They move forward a little bit as they do in the bedrooms. They do not recline any way near what coach seats recline. I was GEATLY disappointed in how the seats in the bedroom recline. And that other seat in the bedrooms is so uncomfortable. Great for putting a suitcase on, but not for sitting.

I wouldn't say the seats in a roomette recline. They move forward a little bit as they do in the bedrooms. They do not recline any way near what coach seats recline. I was GREATLY disappointed in how the seats in the bedroom recline. And that other seat in the bedrooms is so uncomfortable. Great for putting a suitcase on, but not for sitting.
But the nice thing about the seat in the bedroom is - you can lie down and take a nap when you want. :)

Thank you all for the excellent responses. They have helped me to decide on Glenview as our starting point (instead of Chicago). This was my preference all along, as the Glenview station is a ten minute drive from our home. We have friends and family members who can drop us off and pick us up.

As suggested, we will finalize our travel dates ASAP and purchase tickets before the price goes up.

The real decision is whether to travel in coach or opt for the roomette. That will probably be up to Mrs. AstroCat. The privacy and the meals would appeal to her (not to the mention the possibility of cleaner bathrooms). However, comfy reclining seats and a lower price appeal to me. From the responses I have read, it seems that we would probably be okay either way. Just for comparison, we may travel coach on the way there and try a roomette on the way back.

I am very much looking forward to this trip and particularly to the aspect of traveling by train. I have been talking about this trip with my coworkers, and some of them are now thinking of planning trips on the Empire Builder. The appealing aspect is that we can board a train in Glenview, which for us is almost next door, and get off in a distant place such as Glacier National Park. If the first trip goes reasonably well, then Glacier will be the goal for next year.

-Astro

Here is one more question about the roomete. Are passengers allowed to convert it from chairs to beds whenever they want -- or is the attendant the only one who can do that? Is it possible for one person to sleep in the upper bunk, while the other person sits in the chair below?

Here is one more question about the roomete. Are passengers allowed to convert it from chairs to beds whenever they want -- or is the attendant the only one who can do that? Is it possible for one person to sleep in the upper bunk, while the other person sits in the chair below?
I'm not sure that there is any hard and fast rule that says you can't do the beds yourself, but it may not be as easy as you think to set them up. It's not supper hard, but it's not incredibly easy either.

An yes, it is very possbile to have the upper bunk down in it's sleeping postion while someone else sits in the seats below it. Just don't stand up fully and quickly or you may find that you have a brand new splitting headache that you didn't have before you stood up. :blink:

Yes, you can. The mattresses are located in upper bunk. During the nighttime configuration, the attendant will transfer one of the mattress to a lower bunk, along with bedsheets and a blanket.

If you want to sleep on upper bunk during daytime configuration, you'll have to put one of the mattress somewhere because it is usually tri-folded (like a wallet).

You can take a nap on lower level while someone will have to go somewhere, such as sightseer lounge or even a coach, if there's room and a permission from coach attendant.

I'm not sure that there is any hard and fast rule that says you can't do the beds yourself, but it may not be as easy as you think to set them up. It's not supper hard, but it's not incredibly easy either.

An yes, it is very possbile to have the upper bunk down in it's sleeping postion while someone else sits in the seats below it. Just don't stand up fully and quickly or you may find that you have a brand new splitting headache that you didn't have before you stood up. :blink:
Better add bandaids to my list! :p

The attendant (not you) will convert your roomette, and they COULD just let down the upper berth- I think. Never tried that. Keep in mind that the upper berth is very narrow, and that if you are actually going to sleep there you really NEED to keep the restraint system in place. There will be very little headroom down below if the upper berth is folded down. I would not want to ride this way, and I'm only 5'8". Your mileage may vary--but in this case I doubt it.

The advantages of the roomette are the privacy, the climate control (if that's working) and the fact that on the round trip ticket, the two of you get a total of four meals-- dinner for two one way, lunch for two the other way. Using the side of your significant other's seat as a footrest works pretty well if you are over maybe 5'6" and are friendly. Especially if you like to rub each other's feet. You MUST use shoes or slippers when moving about the train, but not in your roomette. One final advantage is that there will be more service available from the car attendant, at least if you get a good one. If you actually use any of that service, you should tip around $5-$10 for a trip that long.

Do keep in mind though that in a roomette, one of you will be facing forward, and the other will be facing backward. That can bother some people. Of course if this only bothers one of you, that's not a reason to go coach instead.

As noted earlier on this thread, the restrooms are likely to be spotless. The people in the deluxe bedrooms have their own plumbing, so your only competition for four restrooms is going to be the other people in roomettes, the family bedroom and the roomette for the handicapped in your car. Probably only around 20 people total.

Going coach on the Empire Builder is a nice experience-- the seats are much further apart than first class in any US airliner, though not QUITE as wide. By the time you recline the coach seat, fold out the thigh rest, and fold down the footrest, you have a really comfortable place to ride. But I think a roomette is better. :)

The attendant (not you) will convert your roomette, and they COULD just let down the upper berth- I think. Never tried that. Keep in mind that the upper berth is very narrow, and that if you are actually going to sleep there you really NEED to keep the restraint system in place. There will be very little headroom down below if the upper berth is folded down. I would not want to ride this way, and I'm only 5'8". Your mileage may vary--but in this case I doubt it.

The advantages of the roomette are the privacy, the climate control (if that's working) and the fact that on the round trip ticket, the two of you get a total of four meals-- dinner for two one way, lunch for two the other way. Using the side of your significant other's seat as a footrest works pretty well if you are over maybe 5'6" and are friendly. Especially if you like to rub each other's feet. You MUST use shoes or slippers when moving about the train, but not in your roomette. One final advantage is that there will be more service available from the car attendant, at least if you get a good one. If you actually use any of that service, you should tip around $5-$10 for a trip that long.

Do keep in mind though that in a roomette, one of you will be facing forward, and the other will be facing backward. That can bother some people. Of course if this only bothers one of you, that's not a reason to go coach instead.

As noted earlier on this thread, the restrooms are likely to be spotless. The people in the deluxe bedrooms have their own plumbing, so your only competition for four restrooms is going to be the other people in roomettes, the family bedroom and the roomette for the handicapped in your car. Probably only around 20 people total.

Going coach on the Empire Builder is a nice experience-- the seats are much further apart than first class in any US airliner, though not QUITE as wide. By the time you recline the coach seat, fold out the thigh rest, and fold down the footrest, you have a really comfortable place to ride. But I think a roomette is better. :)
the roomette for the handicapped in your car??? <_<

If you want to sleep on upper bunk during daytime configuration, you'll have to put one of the mattress somewhere because it is usually tri-folded (like a wallet).
Don't move the mattress for the lower bed someplace else, just unfold it on top of the normal mattress for the upper bunk. Not only will the bed be cushier that way, but there won't be any need to look for a place to put the mattress. There will be a tiny bit of overhand, since the lower mattress is a bit wider than the upper one, but it's not significant enough to cause a problem.

And be sure to hook up the safety strap. Don't want to roll out of bed and drop onto the floor below. :eek:

[the roomette for the handicapped in your car??? <_<

I wasn't thinking straight. The accessible bedroom ( I went to the Amtrak site and checked the official name) in a Superliner sleeping car does, of course, have its own plumbing. Only competition for the public restrooms is the regular roomettes and the family bedroom.

And be sure to hook up the safety strap. Don't want to roll out of bed and drop onto the floor below. :eek:
I'll reinforce that-- the upper berth is only 2 feet wide. The overlapping mattress you suggest is more apt to cause a problem just because the upper berth is so narrow. Probably the car attendant will just take the unused lower mattress away and stow it in an unoccupied compartment when they make up the upper berth if the car is not too full.

And if you really want easy access to the bathroom from your room, reserve a roomette on the lower level of the sleeper car. Since you won't be staying overnight, the added wheel noise shouldn't really be a problem. The lower level of the sleeper car has only six rooms total, so there's very little noise and alot of privacy. There are 3 or 4 bathrooms and a shower about 5 to 10 feet from your room and when you deboard in either MSP or Glenview, you'll be right next to the luggage rack where your bags will probably be and right across the hall from the door.

And if you really want easy access to the bathroom from your room, reserve a roomette on the lower level of the sleeper car. Since you won't be staying overnight, the added wheel noise shouldn't really be a problem. The lower level of the sleeper car has only six rooms total, so there's very little noise and alot of privacy. There are 3 or 4 bathrooms and a shower about 5 to 10 feet from your room and when you deboard in either MSP or Glenview, you'll be right next to the luggage rack where your bags will probably be and right across the hall from the door.
All good points. But the view from the upper level is a bit better, IMHO.

[the roomette for the handicapped in your car??? <_<

I wasn't thinking straight. The accessible bedroom ( I went to the Amtrak site and checked the official name) in a Superliner sleeping car does, of course, have its own plumbing. Only competition for the public restrooms is the regular roomettes and the family bedroom.
Family Bedroom? (I'm not trying to be a smart bass) :unsure:

Family Bedroom? (I'm not trying to be a smart bass) :unsure:
For the Superliner Family Bedroom see http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServe...d=1080080554058

For two parents with two small kids (under 10 or so?) these might be a fairly good way to travel. Except that the windows are really small, so the parents won't be able to see as much If the kids are like mine, they won'tr care <_<

Also, the two kids' berths are only 4'9 and 4'7" and when you add the pillows they are effectively shorter. Older kids won't fit. When I've priced these, a family bedroom seemed to cost more than two roomettes, also.

I'll reinforce that-- the upper berth is only 2 feet wide. The overlapping mattress you suggest is more apt to cause a problem just because the upper berth is so narrow. Probably the car attendant will just take the unused lower mattress away and stow it in an unoccupied compartment when they make up the upper berth if the car is not too full.
Well the overlapping mattress is only 4 inches wider than the one underneath it and the sides of the plastic shell that holds the upper level mattress are about an inch wide anyhow, so that only leaves an overhand of maybe 2 inches. That's nothing to worry about at all.

I always request that the attendant leave both mattresses up there if they make up the bed and if I'm doing it, I certainly leave them both up top.

I was just interested in the showers & rest rooms because I'm in an accessible room. I thought I had seen layouts of Family bedrooms w/ toilet & shower? Plus, windows may be smaller but you have one on each side? I'll know more Sept. 12th!!!!!

AAAHHHH, viewliner / superliner?????????????

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just interested in the showers & rest rooms because I'm in an accessible room. I thought I had seen layouts of Family bedrooms w/ toilet & shower? Plus, windows may be smaller but you have one on each side? I'll know more Sept. 12th!!!!!
No, the accessible bedroom does have a toilet and shower off at the side (as I SHOULD have remembered, but I've never ridden in one) but the family bedroom has only the sofa down the back, with the two facing seats on the other side. No room in that for plumbing. Perhaps you are thinking of the deluxe bedroom,(which Amtrak just calls "Superliner Bedroom" ), which has sofa, armchair, sink AND a wet bath with toilet and private shower! See the family bedroom pictures at http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServe...d=1080080554058 and see the deluxe bedroom pictures at http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServe...d=1080080554021 Amtrak describes the bedroom as accommodating two people, but the sofa is six feet wide, and then there's also the separate armchair.

There are windows on either side of a family bedroom, but as I noted in an earlier post on this thread, they are little windows. With all other Amtrak accommodations, when you are seated normally at a seat next to a window, you can look right out. With the family bedroom, if you sit on the sofa, you must lean way forward in your seat to get a good view out the window. Or a little kid can stand up and look out that side, or that same kid could sit in one of the two facing seats on the other side and look out. Two adults (or probably even one adult and a big kid) will not want to sit in the facing seats, because while this compartment is 9'5" wide, from one side of the train to the other, it's only 5'2 long. Put two facing seats in 5'2" of length, and there's very little legroom. And you are on the lower level, which is not as good a view anyway. If you are traveling in a family bedroom, and want to get a good view, you leave your family bedroom and go to the lounge car.

Note that all these accommodations are in the two-level Superliner cars that run on long-distance Western routes, including the Empire Builder (which is where this thread started). The Viewliner cars run on long-distance routes east of the Mississippi, are single level, and have different accommodations, including a private toilet in all roomettes.

Hope all this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
One final point comparing the Superliners that run in the west from the Viewliners that run in the east-- there are no family bedrooms in Viewliner sleeping cars. Just roomettes, bedrooms, and and bedroom suites, and the accessible bedroom.

No, the accessible bedroom does have a toilet and shower off at the side (as I SHOULD have remembered, but I've never ridden in one) but the family bedroom has only the sofa down the back, with the two facing seats on the other side. No room in that for plumbing. Perhaps you are thinking of the deluxe bedroom,(which Amtrak just calls "Superliner Bedroom" ), which has sofa, armchair, sink AND a wet bath with toilet and private shower! See the family bedroom pictures at http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServe...d=1080080554058 and see the deluxe bedroom pictures at http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServe...d=1080080554021 Amtrak describes the bedroom as accommodating two people, but the sofa is six feet wide, and then there's also the separate armchair.

There are windows on either side of a family bedroom, but as I noted in an earlier post on this thread, they are little windows. With all other Amtrak accommodations, when you are seated normally at a seat next to a window, you can look right out. With the family bedroom, if you sit on the sofa, you must lean way forward in your seat to get a good view out the window. Or a little kid can stand up and look out that side, or that same kid could sit in one of the two facing seats on the other side and look out. Two adults (or probably even one adult and a big kid) will not want to sit in the facing seats, because while this compartment is 9'5" wide, from one side of the train to the other, it's only 5'2 long. Put two facing seats in 5'2" of length, and there's very little legroom. And you are on the lower level, which is not as good a view anyway. If you are traveling in a family bedroom, and want to get a good veiw, you leave your family bedroom and go to the lounge car.

Note that all these accommodations are in the two-level Superliner cars that run on long-distance Western routes, including the Empire Builder (which is where this thread started). The Viewliner cars run on long-distance routes east of the Mississippi, are single level, and have different accommodations, including a private toilet in all roomettes.

Hope all this helps.
Thanx,

can't learn if ya don't ask dumb bass questions! Think 16 pound test to keep that bedroom drawer shut!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back