Empire Builder pricing

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ParrotRob

Service Attendant
Chicago to Seattle, departing May 16. If I book the #7 Empire Builder from CHI to SEA, it's $209.

But if I book the #27 Empire Builder from CHI to SPK, then "transfer" to the #7 for the second leg from SPK to SEA, it's only $159???

Isn't this the EXACT SAME TRIP?!?

The Empire Builder splits in Spokane and 7 goes to Seattle while 27 goes to Portland OR. So, you would have to move to a 7 car to go to Seattle, otherwise it is the same train. To save $50, you will have to move to a different car in the middle of the night. You decide whether it is worth it or not.

So the "transfer" is simply moving up or back a few cars. For $50, I'll move.
Yes. The front part of the train goes to SEA, while the rear part of the train goes to PDX, from Spokane (SPK)!

But 2 things to consider:

1. The transfer in SPK is after 2 AM, but
  2. When you board in CHI (or along the way), they may let you have a seat in the SEA section - thus you would not have to change at 2 AM!
    excl.gif

Based on my experience, yes, it does show up and print out as 2 separate tickets. While I did this (with 2 kids even) recently, given an option, I'd happily spend $50 to avoid having to switch. If you do decide to switch... the conductor will come by and wake you up early so you have time to get ready, prior to arrival in Spokane. The Spokane crew may be eager to have you detrain, but the Seattle crew won't be as chipper about you boarding quickly. It's in the middle of the night.... a surreal experience, and if you need to save $50 I quite understand.

Can you not just walk through the train from your PDX nound coach to the SEA bound coaches and settle in just a few minutes before arrival in Spokane, assuming there's an empty seat? Is there some physical barrier preventing you from moving between 27 and 7 cars?

Can you not just walk through the train from your PDX nound coach to the SEA bound coaches and settle in just a few minutes before arrival in Spokane, assuming there's an empty seat? Is there some physical barrier preventing you from moving between 27 and 7 cars?
No because the cars are locked up between the lounge and the #7 coach, where the train splits, before the train arrives in SPK.

You should present both tickets to the conductors in Chicago. Generally, they'll have you board the train in the Seattle section.

You should present both tickets to the conductors in Chicago. Generally, they'll have you board the train in the Seattle section.
I can confirm this works in practice, I have done the multicity ticket option with a single seat ride although not so far west. In addition to lowering the price, 7 & 27 are different trains for accounting and AGR purposes. ;)

I can confirm this works in practice, I have done the multicity ticket option with a single seat ride although not so far west. In addition to lowering the price, 7 & 27 are different trains for accounting and AGR purposes. ;)
This could work if the seats between Chicago and Spokane don't sell out ahead of time, but it's probably not a guaranteed option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back