Empire Builder in August

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to go from Detroit to Minnesota in early August and wanted to use my reward points to ride for free, but every single Empire Builder for the first 3 weeks of August is sold out! Can this be true? Does this happen often? Is it possible that Amtrak will add more cars? How frusturating. . .

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking to go from Detroit to Minnesota in early August and wanted to use my reward points to ride for free, but every single Empire Builder for the first 3 weeks of August is sold out! Can this be true? Does this happen often? Is it possible that Amtrak will add more cars? How frusturating. . .
Something does look funny here. All July dates show as available, but none of the August dates. Seems like a system glitch. Have you phoned Amtrak?

It seems funny, but it is possible. With the increase in gas prices, many more people are taking the train instead of driving. And also it's summer, so many more are traveling too. I myself had trouble finding space in August.

I did find space on the EB for October - the reservations were made in May! And I got the very last room on the train! And I just tried to make a reservation for a date in October from ATL-WAS. It was SOLD OUT!

It seems funny, but it is possible. With the increase in gas prices, many more people are taking the train instead of driving. And also it's summer, so many more are traveling too. I myself had trouble finding space in August.
I did find space on the EB for October - the reservations were made in May! And I got the very last room on the train! And I just tried to make a reservation for a date in October from ATL-WAS. It was SOLD OUT!
I'm impressed that the Empire Builder is sold out in August (often in both directions) between Chicago and St. Paul given that a) there's the extra Chicago-St. Paul car, and 2) this is a route that Megabus competes on. On the other hand, the scenery between St. Paul and Red Wing is some of the best in the nation, I think.

I have tickets for a trip on the EB in Sep. The agent told me this is the busiest she has seen since 9/11.

I actually had to move my vacation up a day to get reservations.

Why doesn't Amtrak add more cars? It seems like, with this increased ridership, they should be able to fix up some cars and make more money. . .

or does Amtrak lose more money if they transport more people?

Why doesn't Amtrak add more cars? It seems like, with this increased ridership, they should be able to fix up some cars and make more money. . .
No, they do make more when they transport more people (unless, of course, they only transport a few more people, which would result in them selling less high bucket seats - but they could always sell an additional coach at all high bucket prices), but they won't necessary cover their costs to repair the coach, nor is that something that can happen on very short notice.

No, that's something a critic would say though. They would say every passengers that steps aboard they lose $300 or whatever number they come up with. I would hope someone with a little common sense would realize that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The cost of adding one extra car is marginal vs. the amount of revenue to come in.

I have tickets for a trip on the EB in Sep. The agent told me this is the busiest she has seen since 9/11. I actually had to move my vacation up a day to get reservations.
I'll be on the EB west bound Sept. 3rd - 5th. ?????
I'll be passing you eastbound on the Empire Builder, returning to St. Paul after the Republican nat'l convention ends.

I'm impressed that the Empire Builder is sold out in August (often in both directions) between Chicago and St. Paul given that a) there's the extra Chicago-St. Paul car, and 2) this is a route that Megabus competes on. On the other hand, the scenery between St. Paul and Red Wing is some of the best in the nation, I think.
You need to take more trains. Great scenery, sure; best in the nation, not likely.

The biggest reason is that Amtrak does not have much, if any, spare equipment to run (especially sleeping cars). If they did, I'm sure they'd be all for increasing capacity.

Unfortunately, Congress needs to pass a capital expenditure appropriation to allow Amtrak to solicit bids on and place orders for additional equipment. Even then, it will be several years before the first cars start showing up out of whatever company's plant...

You need to take more trains. Great scenery, sure; best in the nation, not likely.
De gustibus non est disputandum

The old cars that could be refurbished seem to be setting in Williams AZ.

The Grand Canyon Railroad (a real railroad that owns its own tracks) bought them at discount prices

and is refurbing them.

Maybe Amtrak could contract with their shops to supply rebuilt cars.

Send the cars to rehab, works with movie stars.

Amtrak should rent cars from Grandluxe, just for the month of August.

Hay, if you really want to travel in August, pay up the $4,000 accommodation up charge or stay home. :D

I would say most likely yes. With the warm weather (I feel sorry for those down south that get 70's and 80's during February :eek: ) and with school starting soon, families and others want to get away during the summer.

Hay, if you really want to travel in August, pay up the $4,000 accommodation up charge or stay home. :D
Is August usually the busiest season for Amtrak?
With many trains at capacity, it feels like every month this year is the busiest season for Amtrak! But yes, the summer is typically the busy season.

Is August usually the busiest season for Amtrak?
With many trains at capacity, it feels like every month this year is the busiest season for Amtrak! But yes, the summer is typically the busy season.
Oh goodie. Heading west from St. Paul August 13, and back again from Seattle August 20. I guess I'd rather be on a crowded train than a crowded plane. Actually, it's better than a non-crowded plane for that matter.

Are these trains completely sold out, or just rooms? Personally, I'm going coach. I am SO looking forward to the trip!

Go ahead and take a poll. I doubt it'd come up in the top ten.

Are these trains completely sold out, or just rooms? Personally, I'm going coach. I am SO looking forward to the trip!
I just tried to change my coach reservation on October 18 from ATL to WAS to a roomette. It said "... not available ... consider this alternative" - and it gave an October 19 departure! That means on October 18, BOTH coach and sleepers are sold out! :eek: :)

Hey, I like what I like, and I like the upper Mississippi (and the Great Plains, for that matter), and having taken many trains on three continents over several decades I have looked out a lot of train windows. Polls don't really have any bearing here. Aesthetic judgments are idiosyncratic, not democratic, and really can't be argued about.

Last edited by a moderator:
What would you say are the top 5?

Not necessarily in this order (except for #1 :) ), I personally would say:

1. DEN-GSC (or GJT) on the CZ (westbound)
  2. RNO-SAC on the CZ
  3. north of LAX-SLO on the CS (northbound)
  4. the southern part of LAX-SAN on the Surfliners, and
  5. ID/western MT on the EB (eastbound)

Although I haven't taken it (yet :) ), based on what I've heard, the eastbound Cardinal through WV should be in there also!

Not necessarily in this order (except for #1 :) ), I personally would say:

1. DEN-GSC (or GJT) on the CZ (westbound)
  2. RNO-SAC on the CZ
  3. north of LAX-SLO on the CS (northbound)
  4. the southern part of LAX-SAN on the Surfliners, and
  5. ID/western MT on the EB (eastbound)

Although I haven't taken it (yet :) ), based on what I've heard, the eastbound Cardinal through WV should be in there also!
Ya Know,

People always said I was headed in the wrong direction! :rolleyes:

Maybe next trip! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back