Empire Builder enhanced coach service?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lthanlon

OBS Chief
Is it really possible to have meals brought from the dining car to your Empire Builder coach seat? I've traveled coach in the EB, but this never was an option; perhaps this service is fairly new?

eb.jpg

This is True on Every LD Train, some Attendants are Lazy and Hide but it is Part of their Duties whether in Coach or Sleeper! I know you ride the SWC alot and am curious why you wouldn't want to go to the Diner on the EB since it has Enhanced Dining and is One of the Pleasures of this Route, especially across the Big Nowhere of Montana and North Dakota! ^_^

They usually don't Announce it, the Passenger has to Ask IME!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is True on Every LD Train, some Attendants are Lazy and Hide but it is Part of their Duties whether in Coach or Sleeper! I know you ride the SWC alot and am curious why you wouldn't want to go to the Diner on the EB since it has Enhanced Dining and is One of the Pleasures of this Route, especially across the Big Nowhere of Montana and North Dakota! ^_^
Regardless of whether I've been on the EB in roomette or coach, I've always gone to the dining car. You're right that it's nice. I was just curious about the service, as I didn't recall hearing an announcement in coach about it being available.

I have never seen anyone in coach get their meals at their seat. Are the enhanced benefits something you sign up for ahead of time, any extra fee? Actually why eat in your seat when you can eat in the diner - unless you are not feeling well.

I just got off the Empire Builder and the opposite fact was announced "The diner is for complete meals only, no a la carte orders and no to-go orders." The dining car was very crowded though, we were in the Portland sleeper and when they came around for dinner reservations (we were the last sleeping car the steward visited) they only times left were 5 or 8:30. I believe the at seat meal service was part of the enhancements to the Empire Builder in around 2005-2006 that added the wine tasting on the second day (enjoyed a lot and won a bottle to drink with dinner) that is no longer offered but still on the timetable.

I travel the EB regularly and I have seen a few Coach passengers take advantage of this. I also have, from time to time taken my meals in my room when I have been too busy to go to the dining car. But I also agree that going to the dining car is an enjoyable break from the long journey across the hi-line.

:)

No to go meals, and at set service are different-the coach attendant can get your meals to serve at your seat, but passengers can't just walk up and order to go. Most at seat service is done for those without the ability to get to te diner, such as lower level persons with a handicap, but anyone who asks can order from the attendant.

I just got off the Empire Builder and the opposite fact was announced "The diner is for complete meals only, no a la carte orders and no to-go orders." The dining car was very crowded though, we were in the Portland sleeper and when they came around for dinner reservations (we were the last sleeping car the steward visited) they only times left were 5 or 8:30. I believe the at seat meal service was part of the enhancements to the Empire Builder in around 2005-2006 that added the wine tasting on the second day (enjoyed a lot and won a bottle to drink with dinner) that is no longer offered but still on the timetable.
I will be in the Portland sleeper in a few days. Do you happen to know the passengers in this sleeper receive their dining choice before coach passengers are canvassed?

I will be in the Portland sleeper in a few days. Do you happen to know the passengers in this sleeper receive their dining choice before coach passengers are canvassed?
Yes, they will reserve with the sleeper first, so be sure you or someone in your party is in the room when they do this.. Otherwise, if you are both not in the room, then you won't get it.

I thought the Enhanced Service on Empire Builder referred to the fact that it gives passengers more time to enjoy the ride than what they originally booked for, by running three or more hours delayed daily. :ph34r: :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back