Empire Builder Detour through ND - both directions?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MSP_Train_Hopper

Train Attendant
My GF and I are going to visit her parents in Rugby over the 4th of July. She was going to drive back to Minneapolis and I was going to bike to Minot a few days later where I could check my bike back home. As the train passed back through Rugby, her folks were going to hand me my suitcase at the station. Before, I thought they would bustitute only westbound. Now I see that "As part of this construction in North Dakota, BNSF has asked Amtrak to use an alternate route in one or both directions, resulting in the Empire Builder missing Amtrak stations in Grand Forks, Devils Lake and Rugby." When I test book, the website for my date, the website still shows Rugby being served by the train. Does anyone know how soon they decide to bustitute? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know how soon they decide to bustitute? Thanks in advance!
It's generally as a result of any variety of situations where BNSF has had a problem. From MoW gangs doing scheduled work to track defects and/or derailments.

There's pretty much no predictability to anything other than scheduled work. Then usually Amtrak is given from a couple days to a couple weeks notice. It varies.

Other than that unexpected problems occur and result in little to no warning of the closure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back