Empire Builder - Bustitution from MSP to Chicago?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cav1865

Train Attendant
I'll be riding Empire Builder (EB) from Montana to Chicago end of February; then connect with Capitol Limited (CL). (I'm aware Amtrak presently not booking same-day Chicago EB connections.) EB's arrival time in Chicago probably won't improve by February enabling same-day connection to CL. Does Amtrak have a consistent metric which says if EB late arrival in Minneapolis - St Paul exceeds a certain number of hours, then CHI passengers get bused to Chicago? Does anyone have insight on this? Thanks in advance.

There will probley be a on-time train that will run MSP-CHI(Train 808), if you are coming on a late train from west of MSP then you would stay on the late train.

Train 808 is simply an extra coach attached for the extra MSP-CHI crowds, it doesn't run alone.

Coming from Points west of MSP you won't be bussed, you will remain on the train however late it is all the way into Chicago.

Amtrak runs a bus when the EB is late to pick up passengers originating from MSP and intermediate points to pick up passengers making connections that would otherwise misconnect if spent waiting for the late train.

The stub train is also known as 808 and I think that was what gn was referring to. But what gn did not mention is, the stub only runs on days when the full train is annulled. Otherwise busses that are sent from MSP eastward are not a given. They usually are dispatched (and automated phone calls made) the night before. They are not likely to be dispatched after 7 PM Central Time.

If connections are missed in Chicago, busses and/or overnight accommodations will be provided and the information is usually announced shortly after the train leaves Milwaukee. Normally, you are instructed to contact Passenger Services at Union Station to find out in more detail about your missed connection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank-you for your informative replies. My flexible schedule allows an extra day in Chicago to connect to Capitol Limited. Not much you can do with Empire Builder: Amtrak's hard-luck line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back