Electrical Outlets for Long Distance Passengers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the normal procedure for seating people with electrical outlets? I looked for the option to upgrade to an electrical outlet etc, but Amtrak only had that option for short distance travelers. There were electrical outlets on the Amtrak I rode on. (I rode the Southwest Chief to LA from Chicago and back home from La to Chicago) On the way to LA, the person in charge made extra sure that the car with outlets were reserved for the people going the longest distance, Chicago to LA. That made sense to me, and I enjoyed being able to charge my phone, laptop, and DSi.

On the way back, the person in charge said the the car with the outlets was reserved for people traveling short distance. Everyone going to Chicago from LA had to sit in a car without outlets. They refused to seat us in a seat with an outlet. Is this typical? I found this very backwards and frustrating considering the nice experience I had the first time around, when I went to LA 4 days earlier. The lounge had a few outlets they were always being used, so every once in a while the lady would let us go to the next car and go to an empty seat with an outlet and charge for about 20 minutes.

It was a fun experience, I got see some beautiful places, but the backwards rule on the way home with the outlets has left a sour taste in my mouth, and I will never ride Amtrak again. If I am going to have to ride for 2 days, I want to be treated fairly, I didn't even have the option to upgrade to a seat with an outlet. Not only that, the people seemed to have it right on my first trip to LA. All things considered I'm very aggravated and wondered what was typical since I had two different experiences with it.

Welcome to Amtrak Unlimited. I'm sorry to hear your frustration regarding coach seating.

As the coach cars are refurbished, electrical outlets are usually installed at each seat.

I have always been able to get a seat with an outlet on the NE Regional trains.

I usually get a sleeper accommodation when traveling on Long Distance trains.

I believe the car attendants try to seat passengers with the same destinations together

therefore they are able to be certain passengers disembark at the proper station.

I would think they would make an exception if you wanted electrical power.

Don't give up on Amtrak!!

Welcome to Amtrak Unlimited. I'm sorry to hear your frustration regarding coach seating.As the coach cars are refurbished, electrical outlets are usually installed at each seat.

I have always been able to get a seat with an outlet on the NE Regional trains.

I usually get a sleeper accommodation when traveling on Long Distance trains.

I believe the car attendants try to seat passengers with the same destinations together

therefore they are able to be certain passengers disembark at the proper station.

I would think they would make an exception if you wanted electrical power.

Don't give up on Amtrak!!
It was such a nice experience on the way to LA, so I haven't lost all hope, (I think a guy named Robert took care of us) but this lady made no exceptions. I think at least half of us asked to be seated and she said NO, this your assigned seat. If you want to charge, go the next car, and if you can find an empty seat, you can charge there for a little bit. The lounge had a few that were always being used, so for the most part my phone, and laptop were dead most of the ride. She was very stiff on this rule.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a fun experience, I got see some beautiful places, but the backwards rule on the way home with the outlets has left a sour taste in my mouth, and I will never ride Amtrak again. If I am going to have to ride for 2 days, I want to be treated fairly, I didn't even have the option to upgrade to a seat with an outlet. Not only that, the people seemed to have it right on my first trip to LA. All things considered I'm very aggravated and wondered what was typical since I had two different experiences with it.
My understanding is that Amtrak is in the process of equipping all cars with outlets. I don't believe that cars with outlets are assigned to any specific group of passengers - typically I believe the longest distance passengers are seated in a particular location in the train's consist (I forget whether it's towards the front or the back) so as not to be disturbed by passengers who are entering and exiting the train in the middle of the night. It's sort of the luck of the draw as to whether you get a car with outlets or not at this point. If your car doesn't have outlets, there's usually some outlets in the sightseer lounge - I bring along a power strip and plug in.

Now that being said, I think its a little ridiculous to declare "I will never ride Amtrak again" after your car didn't have outlets on the return trip. I sort of roll my eyes at stuff like this having worked in the airline industry for two years. I'd have customers approach me all the time saying, "I will never take your airline again" for small, insignificant stuff, mostly outside of our control, even after we offered to fix the issue. Travel is never 100% perfect on every trip. Sometimes things come up, in this case the outlets issue. If you have one bad experience, it's just that. If you have a bad experience every time you board Amtrak/an airline/a bus/etc, then it's time to consider switching carriers.

Amtrak didn't promise you outlets, but you expected them. They have also identified the problem and are in the process of equipping all cars with them. If you don't enjoy train travel, obviously there's no reason to take Amtrak. But don't suggest that you won't ride Amtrak ever again because they didn't offer outlets on one trip. That's simply unreasonable. I can certainly see you saying, "I won't ride Amtrak until the vast majority (or all) of the cars are equipped with outlets." That's reasonable. And Amtrak treated you fairly. Nowhere, not when you purchased the ticket, not anywhere on Amtrak's site, not in the contract of carriage, not on your ticket itself or anywhere else were you ever, at any point in writing promised the availability of an electrical outlet. Getting one, until all the cars are equipped, is simply luck of the draw. Everyone has the same chances, and that's fair (it may not be what you consider right, but according to Amtrak policies, it's fair).

My understanding is that Amtrak is in the process of equipping all cars with outlets. I don't believe that cars with outlets are assigned to any specific group of passengers - typically I believe the longest distance passengers are seated in a particular location in the train's consist (I forget whether it's towards the front or the back) so as not to be disturbed by passengers who are entering and exiting the train in the middle of the night. It's sort of the luck of the draw as to whether you get a car with outlets or not at this point. If your car doesn't have outlets, there's usually some outlets in the sightseer lounge - I bring along a power strip and plug in.

Now that being said, I think its a little ridiculous to declare "I will never ride Amtrak again" after your car didn't have outlets on the return trip. I sort of roll my eyes at stuff like this having worked in the airline industry for two years. I'd have customers approach me all the time saying, "I will never take your airline again" for small, insignificant stuff, mostly outside of our control, even after we offered to fix the issue. Travel is never 100% perfect on every trip. Sometimes things come up, in this case the outlets issue. If you have one bad experience, it's just that. If you have a bad experience every time you board Amtrak/an airline/a bus/etc, then it's time to consider switching carriers.

Amtrak didn't promise you outlets, but you expected them. They have also identified the problem and are in the process of equipping all cars with them. If you don't enjoy train travel, obviously there's no reason to take Amtrak. But don't suggest that you won't ride Amtrak ever again because they didn't offer outlets on one trip. That's simply unreasonable. I can certainly see you saying, "I won't ride Amtrak until the vast majority (or all) of the cars are equipped with outlets." That's reasonable. And Amtrak treated you fairly. Nowhere, not when you purchased the ticket, not anywhere on Amtrak's site, not in the contract of carriage, not on your ticket itself or anywhere else were you ever, at any point in writing promised the availability of an electrical outlet. Getting one, until all the cars are equipped, is simply luck of the draw. Everyone has the same chances, and that's fair (it may not be what you consider right, but according to Amtrak policies, it's fair).
I don't care what you think, I think it was a bit unfair and backwards to have all the long distance travelers with no outlets, and I probably won't travel it again, because of that, whether you like it or not. Even further, You don't get to dictate what is reasonable to me.

Rolls eyes.

I hope that this outlet issue isn't a dealbreaker for you. I don't know if there are any "rules" about how outlets are assigned for long-distance coach travel, it's just a matter of how the cars in the train are set up. As Amtrak adds more cars with outlets, it's almost always going to be a crapshoot.

There are some options:

- In all Superliner coach cars, there are at least two outlets toward the middle of the car. They're tucked away to be used by cleaning crews, but other people on this board can tell you where they are.

- Each bathroom has an outlet. It's not convenient at all, but they are there.

- Sightseer lounge cars are also being upgraded to include more outlets. This is another roll of the dice because a lot of them still don't.

- You always bring a small power strip to share with others, while you access the outlets in the upper serving area in the lounge (when it isn't in use). I wouldn't put a strip in the outlet that is right in the aisle because of the tripping hazard.

I hope that this outlet issue isn't a dealbreaker for you. I don't know if there are any "rules" about how outlets are assigned for long-distance coach travel, it's just a matter of how the cars in the train are set up. As Amtrak adds more cars with outlets, it's almost always going to be a crapshoot.
There are some options:

- In all Superliner coach cars, there are at least two outlets toward the middle of the car. They're tucked away to be used by cleaning crews, but other people on this board can tell you where they are.

- Each bathroom has an outlet. It's not convenient at all, but they are there.

- Sightseer lounge cars are also being upgraded to include more outlets. This is another roll of the dice because a lot of them still don't.

- You always bring a small power strip to share with others, while you access the outlets in the upper serving area in the lounge (when it isn't in use). I wouldn't put a strip in the outlet that is right in the aisle because of the tripping hazard.
When and if they get outlets for all their cars I will ride again. It was just way too inconvenient for me at this point. Or, if they offer the option to purchase a seat with an outlet, I could handle that as well. The inflexibility of not letting me move, while there were empty seats with outlets is what burned me.

I don't care what you think, I think it was a bit unfair and backwards to have all the long distance travelers with no outlets, and I probably won't travel it again, because of that, whether you like it or not. Even further, You don't get to dictate what is reasonable to me.
Rolls eyes.
I think it's behind the times, yes. Don't get me wrong, one of the major reasons I take trains is the availability of outlets (which are in basically all cars here on the east coast). I'm not saying you were unreasonable to believe that you should have outlets on a LD train trip - I'm sorry if I came across that way. Obviously the particular amenities that are important to a passenger are a person choice. I do feel though that you can't make the argument that Amtrak didn't provide you something they promised, and that was my only point.

I completely understand that you would want power outlets for an LD trip, but if tomorrow Amtrak declared that all seats had outlets, guaranteed, I think it's unreasonable that you would not want to travel on them based on an experience when you didn't have outlets and weren't promised them.

I'm just drawing a distinction between not wanting to travel because outlets aren't guaranteed, versus not ever traveling because of one experience with no outlets. It's a subtle, but what I feel is important, distinction.

Call up 1800 USA RAIL and ask for Customer Relations and let them know. Heck they might even give you a travel voucher. I agree with you that they need to have a consistent product.

When and if they get outlets for all their cars I will ride again. It was just way too inconvenient for me at this point. Or, if they offer the option to purchase a seat with an outlet, I could handle that as well. The inflexibility of not letting me move, while there were empty seats with outlets is what burned me.
Right, that was exactly what I was saying. It's very reasonable to want outlets on a trip, it's just not reasonable to never travel Amtrak again, even if they change the outlet (or seating) situation.

Rolls eyes.
I think it's behind the times, yes. Don't get me wrong, one of the major reasons I take trains is the availability of outlets (which are in basically all cars here on the east coast). I'm not saying you were unreasonable to believe that you should have outlets on a LD train trip - I'm sorry if I came across that way. Obviously the particular amenities that are important to a passenger are a person choice. I do feel though that you can't make the argument that Amtrak didn't provide you something they promised, and that was my only point.

I completely understand that you would want power outlets for an LD trip, but if tomorrow Amtrak declared that all seats had outlets, guaranteed, I think it's unreasonable that you would not want to travel on them based on an experience when you didn't have outlets and weren't promised them.

I'm just drawing a distinction between not wanting to travel because outlets aren't guaranteed, versus not ever traveling because of one experience with no outlets. It's a subtle, but what I feel is important, distinction.
I understand your point, but I am more disappointed as stated in an earlier post in their lack of flexibility on the issue. There were empty seats with outlets, to me it is a matter of poor customer service. I'm disappointed they couldn't accommodate us, but your point is taken.

When the cars were built 30-40 years ago, not everyone traveled with cell phones, laptops, scanners, DVD players, etc ..., so 2 outlets per car was enough for the cleaning crew. As cars get refurbished, they are getting outlets at every seat

In the last few days, I have been on the CS and the SL/TE. On the CS. 2 of the 4 coaches had outlets. On the SL/TE, it was also 2 out of 4. If your original seat does not, walk to another car - and if you find one, ask the CA if you can move! (I did just that on the CS!) Or get a sleeping room for a 100% chance!

I understand your point, but I am more disappointed as stated in an earlier post in their lack of flexibility on the issue. There were empty seats with outlets, to me it is a matter of poor customer service. I'm disappointed they couldn't accommodate us, but your point is taken.
Oh I completely agree. I've had bad experiences with Amtrak's inflexibility in seating in the past. I was once put in a Horizon coach for an overnight LD trip on the Cardinal, while shorter distance passengers rode in Amfleet IIs. I ended up just moving up one car and no one said anything to me. I understand why they do it that way (in part so they know where to look for you when your station is coming up). But still there should really be some flexibility, especially if you're headed to a terminal point, so its not an issue of you missing your stop.

If your original seat does not, walk to another car - and if you find one, ask the CA if you can move! (I did just that on the CS!)
Here is the cliff note on this thread: That is exactly what he did and got shot down so that is why the whole thread exists

Well thanks for letting me vent :cool: I also had $160 taken out of my wallet, so that didn't help my moods either :angry: I changed in the bathroom and left my wallet and one of the employees brought it to me saying "Hope you didn't have money in here." I'll never make that mistake again either ;)

Rolls eyes.

Jeez rnizlek lighten up a little. What this rider experienced is VERY TYPICAL of first time Amtrak riders. And the idiot SA, Service Attendant, (I guess I should "lighten up now"....) who wouldn't let them sit in a car with outlets..........go figure.

Next time this happens, (hope it doesn't) I'd suggest you find the conductor. They are really the CAPTAIN of the train, and all the crew on board. OCCASIONALLY they will accommodate requests such as yours.

But yes, to travel on Amtrak, and expect everything is going to be "like it is in the commercials" is just one of the things that doesn't ring true. I wonder how many MILLIONS of first time riders never return because of actions like this?

After four years of prodding, our neighbors and their kids took the Auto Train to Florida. (We've enjoyed this trip for years) They HATED it. Primarily because of the rudeness of the crew. (and this is supposed to be Amtrak's "Best")

So I'd ask you to RIDE again, and enjoy the scenery, and your co-riders. Who knows, you may run into one of Amtrak's BEST employees next time......... (and there are some GREAT ones!)

Rolls eyes.

Jeez rnizlek lighten up a little. What this rider experienced is VERY TYPICAL of first time Amtrak riders. And the idiot SA, Service Attendant, (I guess I should "lighten up now"....) who wouldn't let them sit in a car with outlets..........go figure.

Next time this happens, (hope it doesn't) I'd suggest you find the conductor. They are really the CAPTAIN of the train, and all the crew on board. OCCASIONALLY they will accommodate requests such as yours.

But yes, to travel on Amtrak, and expect everything is going to be "like it is in the commercials" is just one of the things that doesn't ring true. I wonder how many MILLIONS of first time riders never return because of actions like this?

After four years of prodding, our neighbors and their kids took the Auto Train to Florida. (We've enjoyed this trip for years) They HATED it. Primarily because of the rudeness of the crew. (and this is supposed to be Amtrak's "Best")

So I'd ask you to RIDE again, and enjoy the scenery, and your co-riders. Who knows, you may run into one of Amtrak's BEST employees next time......... (and there are some GREAT ones!)
On my way to LA, the first ride, I had nothing but the best. The employees were awesome, they got along so well, sat with us, talked with us, and even had fun with the PA system not working, it was great. That is why on my return trip home, I was a bit surprised. I'd write the employees of that ride a great review if I could!

Perhaps I was a little harsh...as I noted above, I've had similar issue with car assignments and don't agree with how its handled. It's just a personal pet peeve of mine that some issue will come up and people will just flatly declare, "I am never taking X carrier again!" Mostly because so many people said this to my face when I worked in the airlines - i.e. "My seat didn't recline or my TV was broken or my flight was delayed twenty minutes, so I am NEVER taking your airline again!" It was just exasperating, because I mainly wanted to compensate these people with vouchers, but they were so upset and so flatly unwilling to ever give my carrier a second chance that there wasn't much I could do.

It was a fun experience, I got see some beautiful places, but the backwards rule on the way home with the outlets has left a sour taste in my mouth, and I will never ride Amtrak again.
Kinda makes the whole discussion moot :eek:

On my way to LA, the first ride, I had nothing but the best. The employees were awesome, they got along so well, sat with us, talked with us, and even had fun with the PA system not working, it was great. That is why on my return trip home, I was a bit surprised. I'd write the employees of that ride a great review if I could!
You can! You can send an email on amtrak.com to inform them of their great service. You can also use it to inform Customer Relations on the problems you had. Just be aware, it takes quite a while for them to respond via email. It's much better to call and ask for Customer Relations. I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad time & got money stolen. That's never a fun thing. I'm sure that would make me irritated too. You have gotten many suggestions on what to do or try if you choose at some point to ride again. This board has plenty of experienced train riders-it's a great source of advice for before and after a trip. Please let us know if you choose to contact Amtrak & how they respond to your situation.

would it be a no no if the OP was to take his seat check and move to the other car anyway after being told no just to spite the CA or would that result in being tossed from the train.

would it be a no no if the OP was to take his seat check and move to the other car anyway after being told no just to spite the CA or would that result in being tossed from the train.
I doubt they would toss you from the train-- but certainly conductors and SAs don't like you running around the train with your seat check. They try and keep track of where they have seats so they know what doors to open and where to direct boarding pax.

When I rode the Cascades I saw the conductor somewhat sternly remind a passenger to go sit in the correct coach for Salem, OR (he was sitting with a friend who was only riding to Portland). Seemed a little nitpicky to me - the train wasn't very full or anything - but I can understand why the conductors would prefer to know who's in which car for the reasons you mentioned.

When I rode the Cascades I saw the conductor somewhat sternly remind a passenger to go sit in the correct coach for Salem, OR (he was sitting with a friend who was only riding to Portland). Seemed a little nitpicky to me - the train wasn't very full or anything - but I can understand why the conductors would prefer to know who's in which car for the reasons you mentioned.
Well sometimes the conductors will be boarding a large group and need to keep a cluster of seats open. This happens a lot during the summer travel season.

Also sometimes only certain cars are even possible to open at certain stops.

Well sometimes the conductors will be boarding a large group and need to keep a cluster of seats open. This happens a lot during the summer travel season.

Also sometimes only certain cars are even possible to open at certain stops.
Or even worse, on a train that splits (like the Empire Builder), you could find yourself in the wrong car and end up hundreds of miles from your intended destination!!!

Wran, I'm with the folks that say you should lighten up - yeah, reserving the car with outlets for the "shorts" is a pretty boneheaded move, but promising never to ride Amtrak again is a bit extreme. If you treated every business that makes the occasional boneheaded customer service move, you would shortly end up not being able to patronize any businesses at all! Get back on the train, bring a power strip to share electricity with others, and be a hero to your fellow passengers rather than have a ruined trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back