Elderly on Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if there was a mistake with the red Cap Cart. I know when there is not room for everyone in a party, that they radio for someone else if they are supposed to be the last cart. I have had to wait what felt like forever with a group of 4 that needed a cart, I was able to get on the cart from the sleeper because they had an empty seat, the red cap called and requested an empty cart and what car number needed it.

It might have been a misunderstanding that they could wait for the next cart. Too bad this happened, but maybe before next time you can let them know.

Regarding "Redcap" vs "Cart" on the reservation, it depends on the station you're at. For example, if you're at LAX or CHI they only have carts. (If you wait a few minutes, they will be back with another cart to take you and your bags.) if you're in NYP, PHL or BOS, they only have Redcaps, but no golf carts. So even if the reservation said "Cart", they could not comply because there are no carts!

I got off the Crescent 2 nights ago after 2 days on the SL. On both our trains was a guy that went from California on his way to Washington to catch a military flight to the UK.

Oh, by the way, he is 98, a navigator on B-17s during WW2 going to a re-union in England. Now, if he could do that, anybody could do anything. We had helped him call from the SL (he had no cell phone) someone who was meeting him in NOL to take him to the hotel and back the next morning. Train arrived at 11PM and Crescent was due to leave at 7AM. He made that train but he had gone out for a drink that night with the young woman who was assigned to meet him at the station. We, 30 years younger, got to our hotel, went to bed, and woke up exhausted with so little sleep.

I need to start drinking!

On the other hand, what better place to die than on the train?

I'm thinking about booking my inlaws (who are 90 and 93) on the Lake Shore Limited round trip from Chicago to Boston. Can anyone tell me what access to the upper berth in the Viewliner Accessible Bedroom is like? My 93 year old father in law is in great shape, but is getting in and out of it something he's likely to be able to do? Would 2 roomettes be a better idea?

Many thanks!

Doug

I would reccomend booking two roomettes cross aisle from each other, so both parties can sleep in a lower berth, and sit together during daytime in one with the bed made up. Maybe even ask the SCA to leave the lower bed open in the other to readily permit comfortable nap-taking.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

I concur about the 2 roomette idea. There's 2 steps and then a long step (with nothing to step on to) to get into the upper berth. I'm 53 and have a disability, and I would have trouble getting into the upper berth.

Edit: I didn't read the whole post correctly. In the H-Room on the Viewliner, there is a ladder to get into the upper berth.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 70 and luckily in fairly good health, but climbing up and down from the top bunks can still be a hassle!

I totally agree with booking 2 Roomettes across from each other!

Denver DOES have a cart which can be used for those with mobility issues. You may have to ask in advance for it. (It's stored way down at the far end of the platform.)

I once rode the SWC next to an elderly woman who was clearly a regular rider (she knew most of the crew by name and they all new her as Rose). She was quite a bit older than your parents (103!) and she mostly made it to the dining car without assistance. However she did ask for a meal in her room and got it without trouble. The Chief is generally a smooth ride, and it's hard to fall on the walk from room to diner, because of the narrowness of the corridor (I know, I walk with a cane mostly because of my tendency to fall).

They'll be fine. Amtrak is well versed in handling its standard customer in the form of old folk.
Wow its cool to think I might be that old someday

Thank you everyone for your responses. I think we're going to go with the 2 roomette idea, and maybe even send my daughter along to help.

Thanks again!

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back